freezing fuel lines - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
freezing fuel lines

Well this site is so great I just thought I'd ask for help once again. My fuel lines keep freezing! I guess obviously I have water in my tank - I hear Husky had bad fuel a couple weeks ago. I ran my tank low so I'm guessing that was part of my problem reaching the water at the bottom of the tank. I put a bunch of de-gel/water evaporator stuff in but thought maybe someone here knows of a miracle solution? Dont tell me to take my tank off

Maybe I just have to keep the tank topped up ( and with de-gel)so the water is diluted for a couple weeks?
Thanks for any input

1992 F-250 7.3 IDI 4x4 S/C 5 Sp. 3:55 LS. Loaded.
Beautiful blue/silver. bought june '06 with 264,000km
now 347,000(june '08). A1 mechanical. Runs on WVO. Made me a Ford man! (but it had to grow on me)
kohustu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 07:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
If you siphon the tank out with a long hose you probably could just pull out much of the water sitting on the bottom on the tank. Use a clear hose so you can see what is coming out and stop when fuel appears.

I bought a cheap used Dodge car years ago and it was known the vehicle had trouble staying running. It stalled out the evning I purchased it, I siphoned then pulled the tank and removed a removed more than a few gallons of water. New tank and new fuel and it's been going since.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!

Last edited by Snotzalot; 12-12-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 02:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. it s nice to know that its just a little problem, and can be solved. I'll keep this thread posted over the next few days. I think I'm going to have to find where the line is frozen and thaw it out with a torch.

now 347,000(june '08). A1 mechanical. Runs on WVO. Made me a Ford man! (but it had to grow on me)
Old 12-12-2008, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohustu View Post
Thanks. it s nice to know that its just a little problem, and can be solved. I'll keep this thread posted over the next few days. I think I'm going to have to find where the line is frozen and thaw it out with a torch.
Might be safer with a heat gun or a hair dryer. open flame may not be such a good idea.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah I know. that's probably good advice that I thought of myself. However, its so cold here, (going to -35 this weekend) that's probably the only way to do it. It will depend on where I find it frozen though, as it might not be possible to heat it with the torch in some spots. I'll be careful.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Harbor freight makes a heat gun that will produce 1000* on high. Open flame might melt/burn your wire harness' . DO be careful whatever you decide
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used to work with a guy who was in the Russian army during WW11. His job in the winter was to get up before dawn and start fires under the fuel tanks of the trucks so the fuel would be warm enough to flow. BTW he was in three army's during the war, Lithuanian, then captured by the germans, and then captured by the Russians. He was a real hoot to work with, nothing would upset him.......

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well thats old school ingenuity if you ask me! at least I know it will work! I'm going to to attempt more sane methods first, like a tarp and a heater if I cant find a heat gun. thanks for the tip on the heat gun. What do those usually sell for if you know off hand chuckster?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Go to a truck stop or IH dealer and get some Hayes Diesel treat, double dose the recommended amount. I would quite with the snake oil, water disperer it may not be compatible with a diesel. You can run the tank to empty any time....... the pickup pulls from the very bottom of the tank all the time. Water sinks so it would be the first thing sucked up every time you start and run if there is any. Drain your filter see if any is in there. Check your filter heater see if it is working.....does it have power key on....
Remember the heater only comes on at 32*F. When did you replace the filter last....

Is your fuel pump working to the proper pressure when cranking over on the starter......

Heat guns were around $20 when I got mine years ago.... I use mine for heat shrinking the fancy covers on my wine bottles..........

I notice you run WVO....... I would suggest your problem is a byproduct of that too in part.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Pete,

From all of those comments about trouble using WVO these past few years, I'm glad I stuck with over priced #2!

What's a liter of diesel costing you up there in the frozen tundra?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA

Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Last time I filled with Premium gas in the Caddy it was $.89, then diesel was $.99 a litre.

These guys are pretty close 99% of the time.......

http://www.mjervin.com/WPPS_Public.htm

I guess I should not be like this, BUT I try not to answer WVO problem posts that are fuel related. There are too many variables with the fuel for problems and I'm not up on it enough.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 12-14-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Pete,

Looking at that list I see the have diesel listed as Auto Diesel, do semi's pay a different fuel price than cars and small trucks?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA

Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Most semi's here use bulk (Petrocan or Shell) or larger fuel stops like PILOT/FlyingJ....... there they will get fleet prices based on usage or contract. Some times cash gets a better price too.... up to 5 cents a litre even for us wiener drivers. Nice thing is debit cards are considered cash......

Old 12-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Here in BC (Vancouver area), diesel price is $1.03/liter today. That's $3.91/us gallon. Gas on the other hand is $0.83/liter. Diesel gets better milage, so I guess "The Man" is still getting the same 'X' amount/mile out of us compared to the gassers!
Early 99 F-250 Superduty X/C SB, 6 speed, South Bend Con OFE clutch, 4" turbo back exhaust, Ebpv Brake Mod, DIY Tymar, Hutch Mod, 2" leveling kit, 315/75/16's, DP tuner ( 60tow, 80econo, 120race, 140extreme), Warn premium hubs, Autometer pyro, boost, tranny, and fuel pressure gauges. AE if anyone in the area needs.

76' (updated) E series 24' Motorhome - 94' 7.3IDI w/ATS turbo (Brand spank'in new turbo spec motor ) ZF 5 speed, LUK clutch, Borg Warner 1356 transfercase, dana 60 front, 3.73 gears, 245/75/16, and its a 4x4 too!

My Gallery
http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...0/ppuser/80710

Next........MORE!!!:
rednexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via MSN to asauer Send a message via Skype™ to asauer
Snotzalot, I bet that guy from WWII you worked with WAS pretty interesting. I do a little reading in WWII history, and try to talk to some vets about whatever they'll discuss. I know it was common for the German Army serving on the eastern front to put vehicles up on blocks and leave them running all night...in gear. The oil/grease in the diffs would get so thick and congealed that it would bust parts...
I couldn't imagine -60 degree temps, let alone being in the elements at that temp.
1994 Ford F250 4x4: 7.3L IDI factory turbo, supercab longbed, E4OD *DEAD*. ZF5 swap,Dana 60 swap, GM 14 bolt rear w/ 4.10s, 4" exhaust from stock downpipe back to a 5" stack, IP maxed=1100 degrees max pulling uphill, "modified" wastegate=11psi max,99+ F450SD cab/chassis leaf springs in rear
--motor/trans sold--

2000 VW Jetta TDI = 48+mpg

Member of Indiana Air National Guard 122FW MXS
asauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.