Fuel leak in my 1993 F250 7.3 idi non-turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel leak in my 1993 F250 7.3 idi non-turbo

Looking for some ideas on what may be leaking fuel in my 1993 F250 7.3 idi. I see fuel oil dripping on ground after driving and smell diesel in garage. Mechanics initial suggestion is to replace injection pump. However truck runs and drives strong, Appears to be leaking fuel from top of engine. Bottom of injector pump is wet and top of engine block has fuel on it. I would like a some ideas of other leak areas on this motor before I let the mechanic order a new injection pump, which it may or may not need. It is the original pump.
Thanks for the help!

1993 F-250 4x4 E4OD 7.3 IDI Non-Turbo
Alpiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check your return line at the back of the engine. It can leak and when you turn it off you will not see any fuel coming out but it will be there.
cur.bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check all of your return lines coming from the injectors, the filter, and the IP. This will most likely find your leak. The fuel inlet into the IP could be leaking, but it is more likely that it is the return lines.

My Daily Driver:
1986 F-250 2WD, Regular Cab, LWB, 6.9, T-19, Sterling 10.25", open 3.55's, XLT Lariat, Texas Sesquicentennial Limited Edition, No Restrictor Plate, manually switched high idle/advanced timing, and an awesome custom shift knob thanks to Bruce Roosa / Koolknobs.
279,000 miles and counting, hoping for a US Gear OD and a Hypermax Turbocharger one day.

My first truck:
1982 F-250 4WD, Extended Cab, LWB, 5.8, C6 to T-19 swap, BW 1345, Dana 44 TTB/Dana 60 Semi Floater, open 3.55's. About four different colors (not counting rust), currently on loan to my little brother. Maybe one day it can be home to a 6.9L too.

Work Truck:
1992 F-700 Flatbed w/ dump, 7.0L BIG BLOCK GASSER, 5-speed trans (Clark?), 26,000 lb GVWR. Rides like a tank
NCheek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
If the leak is from the advance arm seal it is a simple fix by a Stanadyne or any diesel IP shop.... usually done in vehicle. Check my photo link for IP pics see if you can determine where it is leaking. If you use a piece of cardboard shoved under the IP or other paper item you may be able to find the leak.... If it is center front that would be the main shaft seal........ new IP.

Check out ...... 7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories for a possible rebuilt IP if needed.

IP bottom - TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 05-07-2008 at 07:17 PM.
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 02:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cur.bill View Post
Check your return line at the back of the engine. It can leak and when you turn it off you will not see any fuel coming out but it will be there.
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am hoping it is in the return lines and not the IP.
Alpiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
The main shaft seal can also be replaced once the pump is removed. It doesn't require a pump replacement.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsarguy View Post
If the leak is from the advance arm seal it is a simple fix by a Stanadyne or any diesel IP shop.... usually done in vehicle. Check my photo link for IP pics see if you can determine where it is leaking. If you use a piece of cardboard shoved under the IP or other paper item you may be able to find the leak.... If it is center front that would be the main shaft seal........ new IP.

Check out ...... 7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories for a possible rebuilt IP if needed.

IP bottom - TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting
I loved your diagram pics. Ive been looking for the locale of my injection pump to find a small fuel smell. Thanks
grasshopper7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Soooo many ways diesel could be at those locations, but I like to start cheap, I recently purchased a "pump kit" for $5.00 from an IP rebuild shop. It has the "cheerio" shaped seals that go where the metal line from the filter to the IP has the nuts on each end, and where the return lines come together at the rear of the engine.
It also has an O-ring that goes in after you remove that metal line on the back of the pump and then remove the next nut, it, believe it or not has an O-ring in there (I didn't believe it till I saw it). Also maybe any of the injector lines at the pump could be loose.
You can get everything pretty clean with compressed air, and then you should be able to see where it is coming from, maybe try spraying a solution of water and laundry detergent with a squirt bottle and then compressed air to get it real clean.
Sounds like it's leaking fast enough to see.
Plywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.