Fuel Line Leaking at Injector - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2005, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Line Leaking at Injector

Hey guys,
I replaced a couple of sections of return line and the caps on two injectors. Prior to doing so I noticed what appeared to be fuel coming from the nut holding the fuel supply line on my passenger side rear injector. I hoped it was seeping up from the return cap, but that is not the case, as it is leaking as much as ever. I have two questions;
1. What may be causing this leak? Bad fuel line or cracked injector and is there anything, short of replacing one or the other, I can do to slow down or stop the leak?
2. I am still having serious Hard Starting issues and could this fuel leak be causing my starting problems or am I still facing air intrusion from some other source?

Any info would be helpful.
Thanks
94 F350 Crew-Cab Dually 7.3L IDI, Non-Turbo {I Know the Accessory drives are 94, but still not positive that the engine is} (220K on the truck) (140K on the engine), E4OD... 79 CJ-7 running but not perfect... 66 IHC pick-up far from ready for prime-time.
My3sonsIHCandme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel Line Leaking at Injector

ok do this go to your parts store and buy an injector instalation kit. it comes with copper washers lines t caps and the rubber lines. swapp evrything out and see what happens. it sounds like you just need to replace the oring on the injector. but the kit is 50 bucks, and should solve your starting problems all together, it did mine!

-Jeremy Royster! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

1991 F250 7.3l 200XXX extended cab long bed. 3.55's REDNECKED OUT!! 295/75/16 Bfg All Terrains 16 in billet rims. New front brake pads and rotors, rear shoes, glow plug controller, glow plugs, return line kit duralast batteries, mitubishi off set gear redution starter, altenator, valve cover seals, holley red pump,new injector pump, soon to be new injectors, new vacum pump. Removed soup bowl and drilled holes in air intake.

http://community.webshots.com/user/r0oster06
R0oster06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't see if you changed the o rings on the injectors when you replaced the caps. They can get cut or burred fairly easy and I have gotten into the practice to change the orings out when the caps come off.
Tried this without at first and now have showered with fuel when under the truck.
Kinda sounds like a cut or burred oring to me from my previous encouonters. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
That would also cause the hard starting issues as air is backing into the system.

Ron

My Photo Gallery

Goldie 1990 F-350 Custom 4x4 C/C DRW conversion. 7.3L Banks non-waste gated turbo, ZF-5 with 4" custom Exhaust complimenting a RDT venturi system, Autometer Pyro and boost 2 gauge pillarpod and your standard compliment of mechanical gauges. Clutch pedal Heim joint mod.

The Beef 1989 F-350 Lariat C/C DRW 7.3L N/A, ZF-5. Clutch pedal heim joint mod. Original price $500.00.
Currently slated for an extreme makeover ground up restoration.

Mater 2007 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.9L IDI, T-19 trans pushing a 7'6" Western plow. Completely assembled from the tires up!

I got your "Jeep Thing" now it burns when I pee.
Dsl_Dog_Catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Point here..... is the fluid above the steel line capnut, possible broken line. Is the fluid above/below the plastic return line cap then possible oring or warped plastic cap.

Do your IP steel lines have the line clamps on them that hold 3-4 lines each. See my gallery for an engine pic.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

If the line clamps are bad or gone..... You will be-a-breaking some lines. These "clamps" actually vibration dampners. The fuel system after the injection has plenty of high pitched vibration. I found this out costing me almost $400.00 years ago at a Ford stealership.
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I lost power on my lap-top last night.
Anyway, I have the fuel return line kit and installed new caps & O-rings on two injectors. They were leaking slightly before but seem to have gotten worse........ CDNARSGUY, I believe I may have a problem at the fuel line, as my leak appears to be coming from the nut that holds the fuel line on the injector.

icanfixall...... All of my "clamps" are in place and seem to be in fine order.

I had a slight leak at the psngr-side rear injector cap, but did not seem to be causing big problems. I changed out my CDR and did have to move the rear most return line out of the way. Put everything back together and that's when my real problems began. Since then I have replaced the two injector caps, including O-rings and several sections of return line. Still serious Hard-Starting and the longer it sits the worse it gets.

Is there anything I can do to stop the leak at the fuel cap nut, short of replacing that line? &
Can anyone tell me what purpose the copper washers that come in the fuel return line kit might serve?
As always all potential assistance is appreciated.
94 F350 Crew-Cab Dually 7.3L IDI, Non-Turbo {I Know the Accessory drives are 94, but still not positive that the engine is} (220K on the truck) (140K on the engine), E4OD... 79 CJ-7 running but not perfect... 66 IHC pick-up far from ready for prime-time.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

First if you do find the steel line is the problem, MWFI is the best place for lines.

Other than loosening and reseating the line and tightening it back up (22ftlbs), if it still leaks then removal would be required and doing a very good visual or pressure testing to acertain condition

The copper washers are for the injectors, they are placed on the tip of the injector in the head. Use a new one every time you remove an injector.

As soon as you moved the line at the crossover or any old line/cap, you disturbed the cap seal/oring. It would be best to completely remove the return lines in sets and finish redoing them so they are all new. There is no half way with return lines and caps unfortunately.

Line numbers....Pax side 1-3-5-7 Drvrs side 2-4-6-8........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you sir, for the info.
I will replace the remaining caps and, return lines & o-rings. Since I am not removing the injectors, I guess I keep the copper washers until I need them, right??

Would #7 injector leaking small amount of fuel thru line nut cause severe Hard-Starting??
Old 03-31-2005, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Point is if any leak lets fuel out, it lets air in and allows fuel to bleed off the system causing hard starts.

Yes keep those copper seals, also keep all the old plastic caps and clamps in a spares bag for a while. One never knows when an old one may come in handy as a life saver.

Visit my gallery for more info on other subjects too......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.