Fuel Return Line replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Fuel Return Line replacement

The question i have is what all needs to be taken off to replace the fuel return T's Orings and hose's. will just taking off the air box be enough room or do you need to take the hard lines off and injector pump as well as the turbo? the truck is a 1994 7.3 IDI stock Turbo diesel. 4x4 Supercab if that matters.
ghetto joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 1994 IDI with factory turbo and just replaced the drivers side. I just removed the air box and was able to get to all of them. None on the pass. side were leaking so I didn't look at how to take them off, but the back one or two may be a PITA cause of the turbo. Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

i did it without removing my hard lines, just be carefull, i dont have a turbo model but i would bet that if you start working on it that you will find out real quick what needs to come off
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the advice so soon just trying to get a ruff idea how much time i need to set aside depending on where i do it too. also i have been looking for just a cold air intake for this truck does anyone know of any or do i just put a K&N in the stock air box?
ghetto joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Here is how to....
First disconnect steel injector line cap nuts, "do not bend lines" but move them away individually enough to just get the return line caps off as a complete set per side.
After removal of the complete return cap and lines sets, build new sets identical. To remove old orings use a dental or oring pick with a razor knife, do not mark the injector body. When installing orings use lots of grease and roll first one into top groove, then roll second over that to bottom groove. When installing the new lines and caps use grease inside the cap and on orings, place them on respective injectors and gently push straight down until it pops into place on the orings. Install the line capnuts 22ftlbs torque. There should be a small space between the return cap and line capnut when finished, any major leaks mean caps are not seated or orings are cut or line cap nut is not tight. I have done several sets and found bleeding 1-2 injectors at a time on opposite side the best. Tighten lines then place fuel pedal to floor and fast idle and timing advance on, crank for 15 seconds max, mine started after 4th injector was on line.
Note when cranking engine and bleeding there will only be a slight amount of fuel/bubbles seen, no major squirting gysers, that only happens with engine running at idle RPM.

Parts....
( return line kits/ injector install kit )
6.9 Ford Diesel parts Fuel Injection Turbocharger
7.3 L Ford Diesel Fuel Injectors Fuel Pumps Accessories

Air leak and other good info....
Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.