Fuel selector valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2006, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel selector valve

I have a 1990 7.3 question. For the past month or so when I was on the front tank the truck would run rough (surging) ran fine on the rear tank. Now it doesn't run at all on the rear. I was told that the problem was most likely the selector valve rather than the sending unit. Does this sound correct?
blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: Fuel selector valve

PM me your email addy and I will send the FSV test......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
PM me your email addy and I will send the FSV test......

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not post it so we all have it... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
BBC 468 Jet Boat...Gotta get Wet!
It's the Women that cost me the $$$$
HamerDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 03:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

cause most the time pete's info contains pics and alot of literature to follow up on. When he has time he will rather pm them than try and hassle TDS forums to get the images loaded correctly. Thanks pete for all of you help over the time!

--Ryan
Old 05-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, did the tests and the valve motor apperars to be activating when I flip the switch. Is the next thing the sendig unit?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

If your positive there is enough fuel in the tanks then surging would indicate air intrusion or low fuel. There could be any number of areas where air can enter and not allow the fuel to be lifted by the lift pump be it manual or electric.

Do a pressure and flow test of the fuel pump at the Schrader valve on the filter header (FSS- fuel shutoff solenoid disconnected on IP). Remove the tire valve core and hook a hose and pressure guage on it should see 4-6 psi when cranking. Then do a fuel quantity test same place, should see 1/3 pint in 10 seconds of engine cranking, route fuel to a suitable container with a hose.

Tank lines have known to crack or break off... at the sender

The rubber hose at the lift pump can deteriorate........

Holes can be worn in the steel lines only takes a pin hole.... check them from front to back......

Clamp off the rubber line to fuel filter from #1 injector...

Sorry process of elimination......

Check out this page too.......

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/idi.htm

I have some good scans from manuals, pages of info/pics saved from TDS members gallery's and cannot post them all in my gallery... so if you want something tell me what and PM me with an email addy. If I have it you can have it too if it will help.

I felt like a one armed paperhanger for the past several weeks as my best scanner I used with 98 will not work with XP. Got a new scanner yesterday....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info...am I correct in assuming that if there is a cracked line it would be between the selector valve and the front tank since it runs fine on the rear. The strange thing to me is it would run (but surge) until I took the line off of the sending unit to inspect it and when I put it back on it won't run at all. Is it possible that it's not getting a good seal at the sending unit?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

There is an oring in each of the line connectors and yes if the oring dislodged/cracked then your not getting a good seal possibly. Use some grease when reassembling anywhere orings are used. Fuel line repair parts are available at A/P stores.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Ok. I took the line off of the sending unit and stuck it in a bucket of fuel and it drew it from that fine...put the hose back on the sending unit, won't run. The fitting really doesn't seem to seal good on the sender so I was thinking of trying to run a new line from the front tank to the selector (using hose clamps) to see if it draws, if it does it would lead me to believe it is not seating good. Do I need to use a 3/8" rubber hose for this?
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would think so if it is a 3/8 line.......get good fuel line clamps or very small/narrow screw clamps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.