fuel sending unit repair kit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel sending unit repair kit

Does anyone know where to buy a repair kit for the fuel sending unit. Everythings looks great just needs a new reheostat.7.3 idi.
1991 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 4w/dr
1966 Dodge Charger 383 4Brl w/Facorty a/c
diesel dad 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (30)
I had both senders fail and looked for parts to repair them about 3 years ago. I could find nothing. Maybe someone else has a place to get parts to rebuild the senders......but I had to get new units from Ford Parts.com.

The other issue is the rubber fuel pickup/screen on the bottom of the senders. They fail/crack/fall off the sender. This will cause you to run out of fuel at roughly 1/4 tank and can suck air into the system. My new senders did this in three months time! I replaced these pieces with a piece of Goodyear fuel line with an inverted "V" or "fishmouth" cut in the bottom of the line so it would not suck on the bottom of the tank. The fuel line is held on my a small hose clamp. This has worked for the last three years.

If I need new senders in the future, I'll replace the fuel pickup/screen on the senders with a lenght of hose BEFORE they go into the tanks.

Just my $0.2

Heath
1986 F250HD 4x4 7.3L IDI '95 PSD front clip, '97 bed, T19, D60/10.25 with 3.55's. Rebuilt from the frame up. Banks Turbo, DPS IP & Stage 1's, Isspro TTM, Banks Exhaust, Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Precharged Coolant Filter, Holley Red Pump. 16.5 x 37 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler's, Air Horns. 6in lift, Fresh Paint, On-board Air. Revamped Interior. Rhino Liner.

1983 F250 4x4 5.0L with C6. 340,000+ miles.

7.3 Project Pictures
Webshots Project 7.3 Gallery

hesutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do the repair as above and use Viton hose . It is too bad that there doesn't seem to be a source for the rheostat part . Consider installing a alternative sending unit from Centroid CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges or Isspro ISSPRO.com Your home for quality Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, and more! .

I am in the process of try to determine what to order for the the new from tank on my 1994 F250 . (Clearance between the top of tank and the body of the truck , length of probe, resistance (10-180 model is closest to the stock range(15 F-160 E ohms for 1993-1994 model ?) unless e they have a custom model ). I could really use some help here
(length of probe ? ) .

Edit - I called them and they can make one up for the stock sending unit range. Unfortunately I sent the front tank to the scrap yard before measuring the depth . I guess that I will have to wait for the new tank the tank to arrive and measure the depth on it . Then I will order the
sending unit and install the the tank when it arrives .

BTW - link for a Centroid capacitance fuel sending unit installation on a Dodge . -
Fuel Level Sender, Capacitance Type Install Notes - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Last edited by rkpatt; 10-21-2008 at 07:26 PM.
rkpatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info on the fuel screen noticed mine missing. no wonder I keep running out of fuel. Had about a 1/4 of a tank when I pulled the sending unit.
1991 Ford Ranger Ext Cab 4w/dr
1966 Dodge Charger 383 4Brl w/Facorty a/c
diesel dad 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
Do the repair as above and use Viton hose . It is too bad that there doesn't seem to be a source for the rheostat part . Consider installing a alternative sending unit from Centroid CENTROID PRODUCTS - Computerized Tank Display - Electronic Senders - capacitive fuel gauges or Isspro ISSPRO.com Your home for quality Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, and more! .

I am in the process of try to determine what to order for the the new from tank on my 1994 F250 . (Clearance between the top of tank and the body of the truck , length of probe, resistance (10-180 model is closest to the stock range(-15 F-160 E ohms for 1993-1994 model ?) unless the they have a custom model ). I could really use some help here .

Thanks

BTW - link for a Centroid capacitance fuel sending unit installation on a Dodge . -
Fuel Level Sender, Capacitance Type Install Notes - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
At ISSPRO we have looked into doing custom senders as an OEM replacement. Does anyone know if the pre-Powerstroke OBS trucks used the same sender as the later OBS trucks? Since I have an OBS, that will probably be one of the earlier ones we develop

It is probably biodiesel which is deteriorating the pickup tubes. We were planning to have you re-use the pickup screen on our kits, but we may have to check them with biodiesel first!

Regards,
Michael Pliska
10 ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps & Tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
2000 Jetta TDI - Kerma reflash, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
33' enclosed tag trailer with 2 doorslammer drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
NRA member and certified firearms instructor
GOA member
IDPA member
MJPliska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

"OBS "? Do you mean old body style like 1984-1997 ? I am pretty sure that the sending units on the later models of the OBS IDI trucks are different . Maybe you can get a rough idea by looking over the Rock Auto and other online catalogs . It seems like that a Ford dealer parts department would have the info you need . As far as the pickup tubes deteriorating , I have seen them broken in tanks that never had biodiesel or WVO in them ( gas and diesel ) . It was just a poor idea on Ford 's part (material ? design ?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPliska View Post
At ISSPRO we have looked into doing custom senders as an OEM replacement. Does anyone know if the pre-Powerstroke OBS trucks used the same sender as the later OBS trucks? Since I have an OBS, that will probably be one of the earlier ones we develop

It is probably biodiesel which is deteriorating the pickup tubes. We were planning to have you re-use the pickup screen on our kits, but we may have to check them with biodiesel first!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Last edited by rkpatt; 10-21-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkpatt View Post
"OBS "? Do you mean old body style like 1984-1997 ? I am pretty sure that the sending units on the later models of the OBS IDI trucks are different . Maybe you can get a rough idea by looking over the Rock Auto and other online catalogs . It seem like that a Ford dealer parts department would have the info you need . As far as the pickup tubes deteriorating , I have seen the broken in tanks the never had biodiesel or WVO in them ( gas or diesel ) . It was just a poor idea on Ford 's part .
Yup, I meant Old Body Style. Good idea about using the online catalogs, I'll try looking them up. I bought some for 1997 model year to use for the design, and even bought side and rear tanks for the mock-up. Hopefully they are at least similar to the older OBS designs.

I wonder if the service replacement parts are using different plastic for the pickup tubes? Mine are still going strong in my 1995, with 266k miles.

Regards,
Michael Pliska
10 ISSPRO Performax gauges, Tymar Intake, Gutted EBPV, Tymar 3x4" downpipe, Tymar 5" exhaust, Cat's hiding in the shed, Baby Swamps & Tunes, Tricumulator springs and Accumulator Valve, Tru-Cool 4590 Trans Cooler, Lock-Right Locker
2000 Jetta TDI - Kerma reflash, Der Chimera Stage II Clutch
1998 S&S 9.5' slide-in camper
33' enclosed tag trailer with 2 doorslammer drag cars (73 Vega Super-Gas & 74 Vega ET Super-Pro)
1992 GMC Typhoon, 1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400, 1973 Trans-Am 455
NRA member and certified firearms instructor
GOA member
IDPA member
MJPliska is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
MJPliska, I too am interested in these "Enhanced" sending units for 3 of my vehicles. I would like them to be adjustable and so that I can set when the "Fuel" light comes on so that I know exactly what is left. My Christmas list is a 3-4 gauges on the pillar for the 88' F350, is this possible?

1980's F250 Cab w/doors, Dash, New Pw/Brk Booster,
sanded and primered Grey [B]For Sale BO

1973 International Scout II
Chevy 350 30over, 4-Bolt main, SS Valves, MSD Ignition, Comp 9000 Dist, Edelbrock Manifold/
Carb,
4" Suspension & 3" Body Lift, Dana Front/Rear/TC, TH400 w/Stage 2 kit, 33x12.5x15 BigO Mud tires.

1973 Jeep CJ5 (Project)

Last edited by JASTECH; 10-21-2008 at 07:51 PM.
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just out of curiosity, given that I swapped a donor unknown(92/93?) "gasoline tank" in for my rusty diesel tank today and noted a big difference in design for the respective sending units. Are the sender/pump float assemblies interchangeable/interchangeable with modification? If not, why not? While I am on topic, are the front and rear sending units interchangeable given the difference in depth and mounting angles?
86 K20 6.2 4x4 86 C20 351 2wd
mstreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

mstreman - Could you ( or someone else) please give me the measurement of the depth of the front 19 gal tank or the length of the 93 fuel pickup (from lock ring mount to bottom of fuel pickup "sump" area ) . I would also like to have the same information for the rear 18 gallon tank too .

Thanks

Last edited by rkpatt; 10-26-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

RKPAT: I've already reassembled and installed the aft tank, but I have the old one which I had believed was the 19 gal. As to the midship tank, I can only measure the top to bottom assembly as I did not take it apart. I'll try to get you some numbers tomorrow.

As to interchangeability in sending units: gas and diesel sensor/reo/float is the same Part # but the float arm differs on 17 , 18, and 19 gallon aft tanks. When I removed the diesel sender the pickup tube looked like a radar dish with mini dish on the side: each with a screen. The gas version was inside a "white coffee can" with a cushion-like /pad, off centered pickup screen. The midship guts apparently differ only in float arm length/bend. I wonder if the housings and pumps are the same as what I found in the aft tank. I'll soon know as I have a leaky midship tank on my gas F150.

So anyone know how to visually identify the 17gal vs 18gal vs 19 gal without having them side b side? I saw no part numbers stamped on the tanks.

Eman
86 K20 6.2 4x4 86 C20 351 2wd
mstreman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Quote:
When I removed the diesel sender the pickup tube looked like a radar dish with mini dish on the side: each with a screen
I personally think the high rate of pickup breakoff is due to off roading and the fuel sloshing around in the tank when below 1/2 full.

The screen on the base is the first filter, the one on the side is the gelled fuel bypass should the first filter screen get plugged. Pictures I have show a flapper valve only no screen on the bypass.

If your pickup gets broken off or falls off remember there may be some water and crud in the lower 1/4 of the tank so if the sender assy is out consider draining the tank to check.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 10-24-2008 at 05:23 AM.
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

mstrman-

I appreciate your efforts in getting those measurements .

I guess the aft tank in my truck might be a 19 gallon tank . I guess that you just have make a guess from looking at the catalogs .

Auto Parts Fast at RockAuto

Parts Listing - iNeedParts.com

Parts Listing - iNeedParts.com - this tells me it is 18 gal ?

Last edited by rkpatt; 10-24-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Has anyone found a suitable strainer or screen setup that can be attached to the hose for this repair ? I really would like to see something there to keep any stray large particles from being pulled in potential clogging the hose or fouling up the lift pump.

(Possibly along the line of one of these strainers ? -

airless equipment / parts )

- Thanks

Last edited by rkpatt; 11-04-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.