The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel Shut Off Solenoid

47K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  chuckster57 
#1 ·
Today I went to start my truck, it started fine ran for about 10 seconds then died and would not start back up.The tanks are both full of fuel with Howes diesel conditioner in both. There is lots of fuel and no air at the schrader valve but truck wont start. Ive got a couple of questions

1. Is there fuel pumps in the two tanks or just the lift pump?

2. To check the fuel shot off solenoid for power do you need to be cranking the motor?

#2 ·
just a lift pump..no other pump. To check the fuel shutoff for power, just have the ignition in the run position. I forget which connector is for the FSO,but if the engine is cold both the FSO and the "housing pressure cold advance" solenoid should have power.

#3 ·
FSS is the one on the D/S in the front the back one is the timing advance. With the key in the run position you should hear a click when you disconect and reconnect. If you don't then run a jumper wire from the positive of one battery to the FSS and see if it starts. Just remember to disconnect to shut off.

Reactions: grico777
#4 ·
I wonder if someone can give me some guidance on a similar problem. I have an '88 7.3L International, and it just flat shut off going down the interstate. I checked and no fuel is getting to any of the injectors. I have the top off the injector pump, and am looking at the solenoids. I stuck a 12v power supply to each. The cold-start solenoid seems to operate correctly. The fuel-shutoff kinda moves, then buzzes a little, and that's it. If I help it, it will click in and stay in tight until I cut the power, then it pops back out. I assume it is supposed to snap in all the way with power to it? It moves in and out freely by hand with no power, so it's not hanging up or sticky, that I can tell.

My question, to verify for me: is this solenoid broken? And if so, can it be replaced? Or do I need to ship it off for a full rebuild?

#5 ·
Fuel shutoff.

New here, wanted to start new thread about this..Guess this is how? 1988 7.3 all mechanical fuel system. Truck starts while starter engaged then stops as if key turned off. I want to trouble shoot. I think cut off is located top of fuel distribute/cam. 1. Is this where it is. 2. How do I hot wire it (2-wires to unit) to start trouble shooting. Done this type of stuff before and burned em up. Gut tells me it is in ignition switch.

#6 ·
You'd be better off starting a new thread, as this one is six years old. The FSS is on the injection pump. Terminal toward the front. First thing to do is check for voltage there with key in RUN. Then check again with the key in the START position (you'll prob need an assistant for that). If indeed you get voltage there with the key in START, but not in RUN, then indeed I'd look at the ignition switch, key cylinder, and/or the actuator rod between the cylinder and switch.

#7 ·
New here, wanted to start new thread about this..Guess this is how?
NO, that is not how to. When you click on a specific Forum. At the top of the page is a button (Post New Thread), ya click on it then type in your header, TAB, Then state the problem or info in the box.

#9 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have a 1990 F350 crew cab that I have been restoring and have been trying for days to figure out why it won't start. I tried everything and your advice not only told the problem but you explained how to prove it.
Is there a way to tell if the wiring is defective and not the solenoid?

#10 ·
Use a test light. Turn the key on, if the light comes on the wire is good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.