Glass Pack Mufflers on an IDI? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glass Pack Mufflers on an IDI?

I was wondering what you guy think about putting a straight-through Glass Pack muffler on a diesel. I doubt it will work well but was thinking of trying it because I know where I can get Cherry Bomb glass-pack performance mufflers for twenty bucks. I would just straight-pipe it but the cops are really strict on noise where I live. I think the glass-pack would clog with soot really quick. What do you think?

Wish List: Paint, Turbo, Spray-in Bed-liner, Custom Bumpers
Mike_20 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88beast
glass packs work great my truck had one when i got it and it was cherrybomb
the thing was there till it rusted through and off lol but it sounded good but imo too big block gasser for a diesel
get a turbo most states count it as a muffler if not get the smallest glass pack possible
remember to get you for too much noise they have to have a measurement on it and most cops dont carry anything to measure noise

7.3 idi t70, 3g, g31,

other mods, oba, warn winch, big steel goodies including a headache rack etc.

check out my site at http://ihiditech.comeze.com/
88beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

There was a thrush on my truck when I bought it sounded good but u could tell it restricted flow after I removed it.
92 F350 4x4 7.3L IDI with IPpurpose turned up 1 1/2 flats 4speed manual with OD, 5 inch miter cut stacks,straight 3 inch from manifolds, pillar pod from glow shift with purpose water and oil pressure sun-pro vacuum gauge B&M t-grip shift knob, Newer ford bench seat, goose neck hitch class 3 receiver, banks punch bowl, vacuum resivour, General Graver AT2 load range E tires lots more In the works.
Fuelscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

i ran 3" duals with glasspacks, the tailpipes exited behind the rear tires. it was fine to drive around easy, but as soon as i floored it all hell broke loose out the pipes!!! outrageously way to loud!! i like exhaust musc but it was insanely loud!!! the tone is probably different with a single pipe. just my 2 cents
98 E-350 7.3 15 passenger yoder toter
allis chalmers D-19 w-f gasser
corn binder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I run mine straight piped and normally it runs quiet. If I downshift early or wrap up the throttle it gets a little loud.

Works great to get the attention of the little rice grinding Honda driver that just cut me off.
1995 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0 litre
1990 K-2500 GMC 4X4 350 Auto
1979 F-150 4x2 300/6 4speed 4bbl dual headers/exhaust

1986 Vacationeer 23' Fifth Wheel
2005 Gooseneck(brand) 4 horse gooseneck stock trailer

1941 Allis Chalmers C Ser# C541
1948 Allis Chalmers C wide front
ARIZHNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have had loud exhaust tickets before with other trucks and the cops never measured the decibel level. I would love to get a turbo but can't afford it. The glass-packs I am looking at are the straight through design so it shouldn't restrict the flow too much. The muffler I have on it now is too quiet. I like being able to shut-up the teenage kids with their rice-burners trying to show-off.

Wish List: Paint, Turbo, Spray-in Bed-liner, Custom Bumpers
Mike_20 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.