Glow plug harness - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug harness

Replacing the glow plugs in the van last evening I discovered that in a previuos life the boots had crumbled. Are there replacement boots or do we just live with it. I'm afraid to ask about the cost of a new harness. Wondering if they can be machined out of another material that can withstand heat a little better. Just thinking. Open to any thoughts on what I should or could do. Oh, the good news is they all came out without a problem. A mixture of Buru, Champion and Autolite. Just lucky I guess.
Thanks,
Doug
'86 F-250 4x4
'89 E-250 ATS
Doug Bensen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)
Re: Glow plug harness

look for a jyard in your area and you should find a harness in good condition. that is the cheapest way to get one, i don't know of making it your self.

Exekiel.
- exekiel coolant filter system (Fleet-guard filter and dca)
- Agnem starting system :-)
more pics
BOOB Man
exekiel69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

You can solder on some connectors and heat shrink. I think a new harness is about $175. Tim
Old 06-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just took apart the whole wireing harness on my controller recently. there is only one wire that goes to the plugs themselves. its the brown wire coming off the controller. just take the plastic top off the controller, unplug all plugs and take out of the plastic tubing. the wire is just taped the to others to make a bundle. all the plug wire is, is one wire thats split into 4 to go evenly to the plugs. probably 6' of wire and 8 connnecters. about 15$ at the most exspenive place around and 30 minutes of labour. all of mine are just about burnt but i didnt feel like buyin the connectors so i just reused them when i relocated ym controller to the driverside fender.............Gibson

new newer rig: '05 greyish/balckish Ford F-350 XLT Lariat, Crew Cab, 6.0L PowerStroke, Fx4, Leather and all the electric goodies besides a moon roof, auto trans, 3:73's, leveling kit. SCT Looney Tune stacked with Edge Juice with Attitude, and 4" turbo back exhaust. 91K.... blew HPOP and headgaskets. In shop for now. maybe by the 8th ill have her back with new long block! sweet!

newer rig: late '99 Red Ford F-350 PowerStroke, 4x4, CC, 4r100 Auto Trans, 3:73's, Stage Coach Conversion, 4" DP to 5" up to 6" stack, aFe Stage II intake, DP Tuner 4pos chip, dFUSER oil crossover line, 10K mod, AIC controller, '06 18" King Ranch Wheels. 225K.

new rig: CUMMINS POWERED '95 F-350 XLT, crew cab, Blue & white, ZF5-speed, 4x4 with auto locking hubs, 4:10 gears, 283K miles, 3" DP to 5" exhaust, Auto Meter A-pillar 3-gauge pod with EGT, Water temp and oil pressure.
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Most of us just put heat shrink over the bare metal connector. Ensure the HS is longer than the metal so shorting is not a problem when removed from GP and someone turns on the key.........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Replacing the $325.00 (Ford Dealership Cost)Glow Plug wiring harness is generally the result of broken connection caps. A standard home Air Conditioner Compressor replacement (screw-on) electrical replacement terminal lug will also fit a Glow Plug tip and costs about $2.00. These are available at any Heating and Air Conditioning supply house. Admittedly, they have signs that they sell only to Contractors. However, you will probably receive a sympathetic ear from the Counter Person. Skin back the wire to a clean section, attach it to the after market replacement lug, tighten it down and repairs are complete. A little electrical tape for insulation purposes probably wouldn't hurt.

Good Hunting,
exsubchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

You can go here and buy a new one pretty cheap, it does have some extra wires but they can be removed by opening the loom.

http://www.shopdiesel.com/index.cfm/...ory_id/174.htm

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.