Glow plug light and strategy? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug light and strategy?

no wait to start light on the dash of this 93 i boiyught now that i am ready to run it.
does not light with key, so i assume bulb. right side of dash i assume, which one of the bulb clusters is it? anyone know?
also,. whats the stragety frot he glow plug controller on a 93.
put my test light on a glow plug tonight
55* inside, oil was probably 45* came on for 10- seconds straight, then pulsed on and off for about another 30. this correct?
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Re: Glow plug light and strategy?

That is the correct operation of the GP controller.

Did you plug the black/purple wire on the controller/firewall together for WTS.

Check your fuses also........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

all fuses working. the purple wire is plugged in. when turning key on the purple part coming off the glow plug controller is not hot. should it be? swapped controllers, does the same as this one, lead is still not hot and no wait to start light.
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Will it start if you try after glow plugs on for 10 sec. is the 97 a psd, if so wts is same place.

93 F250, regular cab, 4x4, 7.3 NA, ZF5, 3.55, 209k miles, came home 2/28/06, soon to be turbo.
92 250, regular cab, 4x4, 7.3 NA, E4OD, 3.55, 316k miles, came home 8/28/04, aluminium 16x7 wheels, 285/75/16 Sport King AT.
89 250, extended cab, 4x4, 7.3, ATS wastegated, 5" straight pipe, hand shaker, 4.10, slightly toasted, waiting for a new cab and front end, came home 12/24/04
aaklingler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2006, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

How The Circuit Works

The Glow Plug Control circuit applies power to the Glow Plugs, which heat the combustion chambers so that the diesel engine can be started.

Glow Plug Controller
The solid-state Glow Plug Controller, attached to the top of the engine block, controls the Glow Plug pre-glow and after-glow time. It also controls the circuit's operation by sensing engine temperature, Glow Plug voltage and after-glow voltage from the start/run circuit.

When the Ignition Switch is turned to START or RUN, voltage from Maxi-fuse K is applied through the Glow Plug Controller to the Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp.

The Glow Plugs heat up in zero to fifteen seconds, depending on engine coolant temperature. After the Glow Plugs heat up, the controller cycling switch opens and turns the Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp off. The Glow Plugs are now warm enough for the engine to be started.

At the same time the Ignition Switch is turned to RUN, voltage from Maxi-fuse K is applied to the after-glow timer (located inside the Glow Plug Controller). The after-glow timer cycles the Glow Plugs for up to two minutes, depending on engine temperature. The after-glow timer then opens. The Wait-To-Start Indicator Lamp will not light during the after-glow period.

If the Ignition Switch is turned OFF, it can be turned to ON immediately, and the Glow Plug heating cycle will start again.

Diesel Start/Run
The diesel engine uses two batteries to provide extra power for starting and glow plug heating. Power is applied from the batteries, through heavy gauge wires, to the Starter Solenoid (located in the Starter Motor assembly). When the Wait-To-Start Indicator goes out, the Ignition Switch can be turned to START.

With the Ignition Switch in START or RUN, voltage is supplied to the Fuel Heater, Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, and the Engine Temperature Switch through Maxi-fuses K and U.

The Fuel Heater is in the Fuel Filter/Separator. It heats the diesel fuel, melting any wax that might clog the filter. The heater has an internal thermostat to turn it on as needed.

The Fuel Shutoff Solenoid controls the flow of fuel into the injection pump. With the Ignition Switch in START or RUN, the Solenoid is energized, and fuel is allowed to flow into the injection pump. When the Ignition Switch is turned off, the solenoid is deenergized, fuel flow stops, and the engine stops running.

The Engine Temperature Switch provides voltage to the Cold Timing Advance Solenoid and the Cold Idle Solenoid. When the engine temperature is below 112 F (44 C), the Engine Temperature Switch is closed. When the Ignition Switch is turned to START or RUN, the solenoids are energized, advancing injection pump timing and engine idle, allowing the engine to run more smoothly when cold. When the engine temperature reaches 112 F (44 C), the Engine Temperature Switch opens. This denergizes the solenoids, returning the timing and idle to normal.

To start turn key on press fuel pedal to the floor, then if above 30*F hold at 1/2 throttle, if below 30*F hold at 3/4-full throttle start engine. Once started release the fuel pedal to the fast idle setting or feather pedal to keep running.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.