hard to start after sitting overnight - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hard to start after sitting overnight

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI. 141,000 miles

Engine turns over for a long time before it finally starts, white smoke comes out of the tail pipe. Once it has ran for a while, the engine starts normal for the rest of the day.

Fuel filter was changed @ 118,000.

How often should I change the fuel filter?

What type of fuel additive should I use?

Thanks for all the info. I get a lot of info from this forum.
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: hard to start after sitting overnight

Im not 100% sure on the interval, but I'm sure @ 23k mi, that fuel filter isn't helping the situation. If that doesn't help, check the glow plugs... tis the season =D! And don't rule out a possible air leak into the fuel system, mines kinda notorious for those...
'88 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab ALO,T!!mi., C6 Auto, 3.55 rear, 16" Aluminum Summit Racing Rims, Bridgestone Duelers, Holley Red fuel pump mod,Clairion reciever & component speakers, Kicker 10" powered sub, fresh IP, injectors, brake shoes, & Shiny new headlights...Lovingly named "Brownie" simply because its brown and a sweet ride .
dieseldude73idi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

I eyeballed the fuel lines from the lift pump up to the filter, but didn't see any signs of leakage. I guess the fuel filter would be a good start huh? The filter looks like an oil filter, does it come off similar to?
Should I be concerned about fuel spillage?

Whats a good way to check the glow plugs? I have mechanical skills and understand the use of and ohm meter.

I bought the trunk this summer, and it's my first diesel, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of the diesel engine.

thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yup, fuel filter is easy, same idea as an oil filter, except you'll wanna fill it up with fuel before you install it. As for spillage, there's not alot, just be sure to have a place to put a filter full of fuel. Ive never tested glow plugs, I jumped straight into replacing mine, but I'm sure somebody on here knows exactly what the resistance should be if you wanna get technical. Welcome to the diesel brotherhood!
'88 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab ALO,T!!mi., C6 Auto, 3.55 rear, 16" Aluminum Summit Racing Rims, Bridgestone Duelers, Holley Red fuel pump mod,Clairion reciever & component speakers, Kicker 10" powered sub, fresh IP, injectors, brake shoes, & Shiny new headlights...Lovingly named "Brownie" simply because its brown and a sweet ride .
dieseldude73idi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Send a message via AIM to VD350

Easiest way to do Glow plugs is to take a test light, remove the wire going to the Glow plugs as you do each one, connect the clamp to a positive battery terminal, and touch the probe to the top of the Glow plug. If it lights you have a good glow plug.

www.Fordemblem.com
My Truck and My Yamaha Tri-Z
VD350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

For air leaks, check the smaller hose off the top of the fuel filter and follow it down onto the engine injectors. That first hose segment is a common air inlet point, as is the return hose on the front of the Injection Pump. The problem occurs when the truck is shut down and a vacuum exists as the fuel wants to return to the tank but can only do so if air leaks in. If it leaks, the next time you go to start, the fuel filter header and IP is full of air that has to be displaced making for a hard start. A $30 kit will replace all the return line hoses and injector caps and o-rings.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

I appreciate the info everybody!!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

We had a very hard starting problem on our 7.3 IDI.. At first it was after sitting overnight. We could not get it started with
our killing the battery. We chased and repaired all of the vacum leaks we could find. Then if it sat for a week or more same no staring problem. I gave up chasing vacum leaks, instead we put on an additional pass through electric fuel pump, installed on motor side of the fuel tank switch. Problem solved.

The new electric pump is on a toggle switch. If the Motorhome has sat for more than a couple of days we run the pump for about fifteen seconds. No more hard staring problems.

Good luck.

Tars
1989 7.3 IDI Ford 27' Telstar motor home.
1987 460 ford in a 36' Grand Villa pusher
We have a 1987 Foretravel Grand Villa 460 Ford pusher, 92k miles want to convert to Navistar or power stroke. Also have a 1988, 89 title, 27' Telstar w/7.3 na International Navastar. 139k miles. The Diesel gets 7-11 mpg avg 10. The 460 gets 6-10 with a very strong tail wind on the flat. Avg 6-7 mpg.
tarscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

How long does the glow plug light stay on when you first try to start? If it's for a few seconds only you need to test and if necessary replace the glow plugs with ZD-9's.

If your return line caps and O rings are good and not leaking, the fuel won't leak down to your tank. Before you go replace the fuel pump with an electric one, you need to replace the O rings and caps. That's the first order of business with the symptoms you have.

Ford recommends a 65,000 mile change interval for the fuel filter and they usually can go a lot further before needing to be changed.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Do you know the part# of the hose kit or what it would be called. If I went to an auto parts store, what would I ask for?

Thanks again for the info on this.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Checkout
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/ford.htm $37.
http://www.mwfi.com/dieselPage/ford_73.htm $32.62
I'm sure you can also get a kit from any truck parts store.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

replaced the fuel filter, injector caps, o-rings and hoses. It still had a hard time starting this morning, but it was the coldest morning of the season (32 deg F). To really see if I've made a difference, I'll wait until a milder temp. morning and see if it starts any different. If I still have the same problem, what would be my next step? Injectors? The glow light stays on for about 4 to 5 seconds on a cold start. Is this long enough?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Mine stay on for at least 9-10 seconds on cooler mornings like today 35F or so....

Sold:
1994 F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 SRW 7.3 Banks Turbo
Dana 60 Sterling 10.25 3.55, ISSPRO EV Guage and Pyro

PICS of my rigs and random stuff: http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/dakotajeep/
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Your glow plugs may still not be working right. Double check all your grounds. Some times when you replace the cap and have the lines off they will still leak some air. I've had the same problem and just let it go a couple of days and it sealed it self. I guess it depends on if you feel lucky or not. You also can take a clear line and replace the return line from the pump to the last cap in line and see how many air bubbles you are getting when you start it. If it starts and isn't running rough from air in the line it has to be your glow plugs aren't heating long enough. Also make sure you have good batteries so it is spinning over fast enough.

1988 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto C6 now ZF5
1990 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto E4OD. now ZF5
1992 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 ZF5
Greg77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

How the system works.....

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthrea...vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.