How to change Fuel Filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to change Fuel Filter

Have never changed the fuel filter on my newly acquired 1989 F-350. Fuel filter light came on and figure it is time to change. Does anyone have a play-by-play on how to change out the filter? It looks a little more complicated than the oil filter.

Thanks!
Black Beauty 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
If you go to this page...... you will see all the parts of the filter.

I first drain the water separator on the bottom by unscrewing the knurled wheel and collecting about 1/2 cup of fuel from the steel drain line in a plastic container. Close drain and remove the WIF light connector and the drain line hose from the filter. Using a filter wrench unscrew the filter from the head, trying not to spill the remaining contents. Look inside to see if any water or crud has passed through the filter system. Now drain the filter then remove the filter base and clean it.

Assembling the new filter, place the new slightly oiled oring in the separator base groove, screw base and new filter together hand tight. Fill the filter with clean diesel or fuel additive via the outer small holes until 1 inch below the top, lubricate the upper filter seal and screw the filter to the header. Hand tight is usually sufficient but 1/4-1/2 turn more with the filter wrench does the trick. Now retighten the base by hand slightly if required. Install WIF connector and drain hose.

With a helper, purge the air from the filter by pressing on the valve stem in the Schrader valve (use a rag to catch fuel) while starting the engine. Wipe up any spills jobs done. Note stumbling may occur until all air is removed from the system.

Bleed air from the Schrader valve, engine should start when fuel is present.

Fleetguard oil filter (PSD size)
Part: LF3630

Fleetguard fuel filter
Part: FG1281

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsarguy View Post
If you go to this page...... you will see all the parts of the filter.

I first drain the water separator on the bottom by unscrewing the knurled wheel and collecting about 1/2 cup of fuel from the steel drain line in a plastic container. Close drain and remove the WIF light connector and the drain line hose from the filter. Using a filter wrench unscrew the filter from the head, trying not to spill the remaining contents. Look inside to see if any water or crud has passed through the filter system. Now drain the filter then remove the filter base and clean it.

Assembling the new filter, place the new slightly oiled oring in the separator base groove, screw base and new filter together hand tight. Fill the filter with clean diesel or fuel additive via the outer small holes until 1 inch below the top, lubricate the upper filter seal and screw the filter to the header. Hand tight is usually sufficient but 1/4-1/2 turn more with the filter wrench does the trick. Now retighten the base by hand slightly if required. Install WIF connector and drain hose.

With a helper, purge the air from the filter by pressing on the valve stem in the Schrader valve (use a rag to catch fuel) while starting the engine. Wipe up any spills jobs done. Note stumbling may occur until all air is removed from the system.

Bleed air from the Schrader valve, engine should start when fuel is present.

Fleetguard oil filter (PSD size)
Part: LF3630

Fleetguard fuel filter
Part: FG1281
Thank you Sir! Exactly what I was needing. I printed this off and will use when I change the filter.
Lit Running Boards, Fog lamps
96,000 miles
Black Beauty 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

As usual Pete has given you the best information known to human kind.
My only suggestion is to do this after the engine is warm/been driven.
Gather more rags than you believe you need, and small coffee can/bucket to pitch the old filter into.
After it starts, bring it to a hi idle until it runs smooth.
I use Power Serve, not diesel, to fill the new filter, clean, cheap, and easily available.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Indeed, a warm engine will start easier even if there's a bit of air still left in the filter. Also, since the filter is off, that's a great time to flush the IP with Diesel Kleen or even SeaFoam - fill up the new filter with it instead of diesel fuel, and you should be good.

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Does this apply to the '94 turbo IDI as well, or just earlier models? I was planning to change my fuel filter tomorrow and run some Sea Foam through.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeps, turbo engines are no different from the n/a ones in that area.

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks a ton! Got the job done today with very little problem. I can see it will be much easier the next time I do it after today's experience. The truck is really running nicely now. The SeaFoam seems to have helped it have a bit more pep.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

fuel light !! fuel filter problems 93 7.3l f250 turbo .. changed and acts lean help!!

I have a 93 f250 7.3 turbo model and fuel light came on so i went and changed fuel fiter ecaxtly as described , primed , drove down the road and truck was driving fine .... light came back on still driving and then it acted like air was getting in and so i slow down to build pressure back up and took back home , then i removed shrader and started truck and it only spits no constent flow like before . ( now also before all of this i changed o ring on fuel heater witch required me to disassemble housing and i put it all back togethere as i removed ) but im stumpped !!! where is the air coming from ? and why no constent flow of fuel ? it starts and idles fine and light stays off but if i drive @ 2000 rpm normal.. it just freaks out and acts lean .. please help me !! thank you, kyle lively 817 296 0016
live4545 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C. View Post
Indeed, a warm engine will start easier even if there's a bit of air still left in the filter. Also, since the filter is off, that's a great time to flush the IP with Diesel Kleen or even SeaFoam - fill up the new filter with it instead of diesel fuel, and you should be good.

SeaFoam baby..It's the bombdigity
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by live4545 View Post
I have a 93 f250 7.3 turbo model and fuel light came on so i went and changed fuel fiter ecaxtly as described , primed , drove down the road and truck was driving fine .... light came back on still driving and then it acted like air was getting in and so i slow down to build pressure back up and took back home , then i removed shrader and started truck and it only spits no constent flow like before . ( now also before all of this i changed o ring on fuel heater witch required me to disassemble housing and i put it all back togethere as i removed ) but im stumpped !!! where is the air coming from ? and why no constent flow of fuel ? it starts and idles fine and light stays off but if i drive @ 2000 rpm normal.. it just freaks out and acts lean .. please help me !! thank you, kyle lively 817 296 0016
Fuel light will come on depending on fuel pressure. You need to perform the fuel flow/pressure test.

Do a pressure and flow test of the fuel pump at the Schrader valve on the filter header (FSS- fuel shutoff solenoid disconnected on IP). Remove the tire valve core and hook a hose and pressure guage on it should see 4-6 psi when starter cranking engine over. Then do a fuel quantity test same place, should see 1/3 pint in 10 seconds of starter engine cranking, route fuel to a suitable container with a hose. When all finished hook up the FSS wire .

If there is a problem with the lift pump and you are changing it, ensure the new pump comes with instructions as to correct installation procedure if it is the newer model pump with the almost straight arm.

If it passes the above test then it's time to do the "clear line" test. Search of this forum will explain it.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
First place I'd look is at the lift pump. BTW how much fuel in the tank?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I replaced the lift pump about 3 months ago , and there was half a tank , i took the filter back off and it was half full of fuel . is it supposed to be full ? ........ so then i poured trans fluid to the rim and re started and drove truck light is still coming on but seems to no act up .. or rev passed what i already have my foot on .. so im guessing the filter needs to be full to be able to have complete press. to the shrader valve on top of housing .. thanks for the replys ... any more ideas ?
live4545 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

When you take the filter off it should be full to the top. How long did it sit before you took the filter off? Have you disturbed the return lines recently?

I'm gonna sign my name in that diesel smoke and let the ones that come along behind me choke!
johnboggs21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have had the problems you've described. Filter was full. Water in fuel light came on, stalling. Started out like air in return. Check the fuel lift pump like suggested. Sounds like lift pump to me especially if you just get a small amount of fuel while cranking. Is there smoke coming from the pipe when you ty to crank? MY money is on lift pump. As you describe the symptoms.
If you do change it remove the vacuum pump first, it makes it eaiser.
88 f250 Lariat ext cab 2wd 4:10 5spd 125k
2001 Excursion Limited PSD 4WD 140k
2003 Chevy Astro 160k
2008 Subaru Tribeca 15k
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.