How to drain Transmission fluid? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to drain Transmission fluid?

I'm wanting to drain the transmission but can't find an obvious drain bolt. There's something near the front of it that faces the back that looks like a spigot, but it's not the low point of the tranny and there's no apparent means of 'opening' it.

Do you have to take off a panel?

Anyone have a suggestion? I believe I've got a 4 speed auto w/overdrive.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your 4 speed w/ Overdrive is an E4OD transmission. There is no drain plug in the transmission pan, you have to remove the pan itself. If you start at one corner and then work your way around going back and forth to the next bolt then it will start draining at the corner you started at. If you remove the bell housing inspection plate then you can also rotate the T/C until you see the drain plug for it and drain it too. I don't remember for sure but I think it takes like 17 qts. with the T/C drained.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Bell housing inspection plate, is that the front most panel on the bottom of the tranny? T/C = transmission coolant?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
That is the cover with the little drain pipe.......below are a couple writeups

The TheDieselStop.Com 1999-up FAQ

Changing ATF Fluid in a E4OD and 4R100 transmission .: Articles

RE: Ford Motor Company Automatic Transmission Service Intervals

For 1995, Ford Motor Company has reduced the mileage interval of automatic transmission fluid changes to 30,000 miles. This applies to all transmissions except the E40D transmission used in Ford trucks. The E40D change interval is 15,000 miles.
Ford engineers stated that the intervals were reduced due to fluid degradation especially in humid climates.
As you all know, the above-mentioned service intervals are for "normal driving" conditions, severe duty conditions (fleet, city driving, short trips, dusty conditions, hilly areas, towing, snowplowing) require more frequent service.
Always change the transmission filter when you change the fluid.

FYI>>>>>>

TSB 01-15-07 - 1994-1997 Power Stroke FAQ
While you're at it you may want to switch to a newer trans pan that has a drain plug in it. Ford dealer, about $40. App: 2000 F-250, 5.4L 4R100 trans 4x4. Directly interchanges with a E4OD 4x4 pan, use on a 2wd truck requires a 4x4 filter which has a deeper pickup.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 05-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft93 View Post
Bell housing inspection plate, is that the front most panel on the bottom of the tranny?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft93 View Post
T/C = transmission coolant?
T/C usually means torque converter. It can also mean transfer case or turbo charger. That's why I spell it out, because it isn't clear what someone means when they use an abbreviation that has at least three different meanings.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's the cover that goes over the flywheel/flexplate. It bolts to the engine and there is one bolt that is sort of behind the starter. I took my starter out when I removed the cover, made it easier. If you need pictures I can take a couple and post them for you. T/C= Torque Converter, bolts to the flexplate
Manual transmissions use a FLYWHEEL.
automatic transmissions use a FLEXPLATE
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 05-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, guys.

So, I took off the trans pan (I believe), which gave me access to the transmission filter. This was after I ran the engine to get most of the coolant out of the tranny by way of the cooling line.

I'm not sure exactly how much fluid I collected, but it was way more than the 3.5L the manual said. Might have been the 17Q that Chuckster referenced, but it seemed less than 4 gallons... Maybe not.

Anyway, I've got a new tranny filter, new gasket, new rigid cooling line and 4 quarts of new tranny fluid, since I only expected to drain about 3.5L. When filling the rest of the fluid, does it go into the same fill spot (tranny dip stick), or is there a secret spot for the remainder?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Any refilling is done via the dipstick tube...... once you have refilled the major amount and are running the engine......do the rest in small increments as overfilling is a pain to rectify..... Shift in and out of gears FWD and REVs to circulate fluid. Then check as per the dipstick directions.....

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is it safe to drain torque converters? I thought there was a probability of not "priming up" and starving for fluid (thus causing damage). I'm just asking, I've never tried it.
RWF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF350 View Post
Is it safe to drain torque converters? I thought there was a probability of not "priming up" and starving for fluid (thus causing damage). I'm just asking, I've never tried it.
Thats the reason the drain is there.
If you are concerned, you could always power flush the fluid out and save dropping the pan
Get a 5 gal bucket and mark off 1 gal incriments. Then attach a hose to the tranny cooler ,ine coming out of the cooler and stick the other end in the bucket. Crank the engine till a gal is in the bucket and shut off,add a gal of fresh fluid to the tranny and crank again till it hits anotehr gal, repeate until the fluid running out the hose runs clean. Then top off the tranny. The is a better way of changing the fluid than just draining as it replaces all the fluid trapped in the valve body and all teh other nooks and crannies.
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDSL View Post
Thats the reason the drain is there.
If you are concerned, you could always power flush the fluid out and save dropping the pan
Get a 5 gal bucket and mark off 1 gal incriments. Then attach a hose to the tranny cooler ,ine coming out of the cooler and stick the other end in the bucket. Crank the engine till a gal is in the bucket and shut off,add a gal of fresh fluid to the tranny and crank again till it hits anotehr gal, repeate until the fluid running out the hose runs clean. Then top off the tranny. The is a better way of changing the fluid than just draining as it replaces all the fluid trapped in the valve body and all teh other nooks and crannies.
I am doing research before I drain/fill the transmission and TC on my new-to-me '91 F250 w/ E40D.

Is the preferred method of draining and filling the transmission and TC the method above (flushing out fluids via the coolant output line) or is it preferred to drop the pan and drain/clean manually?
Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trasko View Post
I am doing research before I drain/fill the transmission and TC on my new-to-me '91 F250 w/ E40D.

Is the preferred method of draining and filling the transmission and TC the method above (flushing out fluids via the coolant output line) or is it preferred to drop the pan and drain/clean manually?
That depends entirely on the transmission in question. If the transmission in question has an actual filter, then it is best to drop the pan first, put a fresh filter on , clean out the pan and clean the gasket mating surfaces install the new gasket and torque the bolts down to proper spec, then fill the pan with engine off til it comes up to the full hot line, then take the cooler line loose and flush as previously mentioned to clear the rest of the tranny and torque converter . only crank it about a gal worth at a time than stop and refil , and continue til the fluid running from the line runs clean.
If the *filter* that goes with the tranny in question is mearly a screen and not an actual filter ( ask your friendly parts guy to pull one down to take a look at it ), then there is no need to pull the pan as these type do not need changing, they are mearly a large debris screen, if one of those clogs enough to cause a problem, you are screwed anyway. Most of the manufacturers with trannys with screens have issued TSBs to this effect years ago.
In the case of a screen, then the best method is to simply power flush it through the cooler line. You will find that this is the preferred dealer method of changing nowdays, although they have a fancy machine that performs the operation automatically ( to the tune of about $4700 )
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the reply; I've been out of town for a few days. I've read that the E40D just has the screen filter but I don't know if some have it one way and some another. This truck is new to me and records from the PO show a transmission fluid/filter change in Nov. '06 (2.5 yrs ago). There is a cork gasket on there that looks surprisingly clean (and leak free). I am figuring I'll just do the flush method this time as that should be easier -- I just want to get fresh fluids in everywhere to get everything to a known state since who really knows what went on w/ the PO...
Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I did a tranny pan gasket/filter change when I bought my truck and the filter was not a screen, It was the regular filter. I also have a neoprene (I think) gasket now not cork.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.