How to jump correctely - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to jump correctely

Ok. It's a simple question but I wonder how much conversation it will generate. Also i need to know so I can crank my truck.
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
To boost correctly..... from/too your vehicle: Positive > battery post and then negative > lift ring on the manifold or a hard ground point.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

My batteries have a notice on the drivers side: "DO NOT JUMP FROM THIS BATTERY" from that caution you should jump to the pass side battery for the pos +, and use the engine for the negative like cdnsarguy said to.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just to add one more caution- when making the connections the vehicle with the good battery should be off, make the connections as stated, start the 'good' vehicle and then start the vehicle with the bad batteries. This helps prevent any 'jolt' to the charging system on the 'good' vehicle.

1988 F350 CC 4x4 SRW, 7.3 Banks non-wastegated turbo, C6 w/ HD torque converter, Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler, Highjacker 'softride' 4" lift, pre/post luber, coolant filter, Racor fuel filter/separator, pyro and boost gauges, Progressive 16x8 wheels, 285-75x16 rubber, 3" downpipe into 4" straight pipe over the rear axle and into 5" SS tip. 1994 Alpenlite 33' 5th wheel trailer
suv7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

And I might as well add my useless thoughts...

Other batteries should be used to BOOST, not start all out from a dead battery. The jumper connections where you put it only let so much current through and i have never been able to successfully start my truck by jumping after batteries were run down. Over time the other cars alternator will charge the battery in its bay and eventually charge yours but that could be hard on the alt. They are meant to maintain voltage, not recharge a battery. I hardly ever use jumper cables on my truck anymore...easier and quicker to string out 100-200ft of extension cord and use a charger.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91diesel View Post
And I might as well add my useless thoughts...

The jumper connections where you put it only let so much current through and i have never been able to successfully start my truck by jumping after batteries were run down.
Good point anthony2010. That is why it's important to have jumper cables that have enough capacity to use on a diesel engine. The cheapo ones from most of the parts stores will not flow enough current to 'start' a diesel engine with a dead battery. Just look at the difference in size on the diesel's battery cables...

1988 F350 CC 4x4 SRW, 7.3 Banks non-wastegated turbo, C6 w/ HD torque converter, Tru-Cool 4590 trans cooler, Highjacker 'softride' 4" lift, pre/post luber, coolant filter, Racor fuel filter/separator, pyro and boost gauges, Progressive 16x8 wheels, 285-75x16 rubber, 3" downpipe into 4" straight pipe over the rear axle and into 5" SS tip. 1994 Alpenlite 33' 5th wheel trailer
suv7734 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via MSN to asauer Send a message via Skype™ to asauer
I have never understood the reasoning behind the theory of clamping the ground cable onto the engine instead of straight to the negative post on the battery. It's just placing it further away, and potentially not getting as good a connection.
Also, don't worry about the warning of not using the one battery to jump. I can guarantee you the cable running from the driver's side battery to the pass. battery, then to the starter is MUCH larger than your jumper cables (and 100x more cross-sectional area than the jumper cable clamps). The only reasoning I could see behind it is if you had small cables connecting the two batteries, and also going back to my point of clamping it further 'down the wire'...
1994 Ford F250 4x4: 7.3L IDI factory turbo, supercab longbed, E4OD *DEAD*. ZF5 swap,Dana 60 swap, GM 14 bolt rear w/ 4.10s, 4" exhaust from stock downpipe back to a 5" stack, IP maxed=1100 degrees max pulling uphill, "modified" wastegate=11psi max,99+ F450SD cab/chassis leaf springs in rear
--motor/trans sold--

2000 VW Jetta TDI = 48+mpg

Member of Indiana Air National Guard 122FW MXS
asauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I've always just hook up the good car, then hook up the bad car. I hold each clip far apart, red in one hand, black in the other. When I hook up the good car i set the other end up the jumpers on the ground spread apart so they don't touch too. I just hook up directly to battery terminals. I've heard otherwise but never had a problem and the negative battery terminal is attached to the frame anyways.

Ford 1992 E-350, 6,900 lbs.
Dodge 1997 Ram 3500
Ford 2005 F-350
yaric008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asauer View Post
I have never understood the reasoning behind the theory of clamping the ground cable onto the engine instead of straight to the negative post on the battery.
the reasoning is, you should try to limit sparks near batteries.clamping a piece of metal bolted to the block does not create near the right conditions for explosions.Clamping the battery ground post ,almost always creates a spark---Rob
Cool 1988 F250,4x2 XLT extended cab,rebuilt 444cu inch,naturally aspirated IDI,5speed gearrower,aluminum radiator,facet dura lift "trans/cold"electric lift pump,99%pure virgin lead batteries,13" Sachs clutch,exhaust brake,lighted running boards,cab roof lights,! cb radio,guage whore,dueling pyrometers,-- persons+engine+gear=6990lbs!13-19mpg.
pontoonrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Umm...Clamping a cable onto the engine is THE same exact condition as clamping it to the negative post. If it doesn't arc, that means you don't have connection. I understand the theory about gasses released from batteries when they are under high load (boiling can be heard). I think it's hydrogen gas being given off...but the chances of creating a situation where an explosion can take place is obviously few and far between, or some of us would have had problems thus far.
To sum it up...I agree about the spark issue, which is why I clamp the dead battery's +, good battery +, bad battery -, good battery - in that order. There will be NO spark at the dead battery (where the potential for gasses is higher, because the battery has most likely been worked hard from trying to start the car).
That's just my .02 cents.
1994 Ford F250 4x4: 7.3L IDI factory turbo, supercab longbed, E4OD *DEAD*. ZF5 swap,Dana 60 swap, GM 14 bolt rear w/ 4.10s, 4" exhaust from stock downpipe back to a 5" stack, IP maxed=1100 degrees max pulling uphill, "modified" wastegate=11psi max,99+ F450SD cab/chassis leaf springs in rear
--motor/trans sold--

Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

pull your vehicle to theirs---shut off!!!! hook cables to your vehicle--then to theirs----properly--then start your vehicle-----------after theirs starts-------disconnect off your vehicle first--as there could be some gas generated from their battery--and spark could set it off----your batt will be draining some--so shouldnt be making any gas----
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

yes asauer it is hydrogen. I hate it when people say hydroGEN cars run off WATER.......they dont run on water. they run off the hydrogen produced through electrolysis. Thats the same process that happens when you charge a battery too fast. It starts breaking the hydrogen and oxygen bonds. On sealed batteries like what I and i think most of us have, hydrogen cant really escape unless the batteries are junky and have holes in them. Better safe then sorry though i guess...hydrogen is nasty stuff once ignited. i have to admit i never put the ground on the engine....

The problem with hooking up another car or even another truck to these engines is that the starter takes up so much amperage you might as well put it on a charger.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nicely said. And speaking of battery chargers- the 'proper' charging procedure is charge current @ 10% of battery's rated cranking amps as a general rule of thumb.
--motor/trans sold--

Old 01-17-2008, 08:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

if im in a hurry i do 40 amp for 5 minutes usually got it good enough to start. Starting used to kill the batteries pretty easy and id be charging on a regular basis. I have nice new batteries and connectors and starter. It starts withing 6 seconds of cranking in 16* now with one glow cycle. Haven't had to charge for months now. NOW...10 percent of my 875 batteries would be what? 85-6 amps? 40 is half that but i have non maintenance batteries and im worried about electrolysis like i said and blowing up with gas? I dont know maybe its a farse.

NORMALLY i let it on 2 amp for several hours. I have to be careful with my charger because its not automatic and will overcharge the batteries. Mine has 2,40,and 200 engine start. 2 amp is the most comfortable i am with it being alone. if im discharging right away i dont mind the 40 amp so i wont use 40 to just charge a battery. Just the way i do battery charging for reference.....
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

I should have clarified. It's reccommended to charge at NO MORE THAN 10% of total rated cranking amps. The less charging amperage, the better I'd say.
But to answer your question, 10% of 875= 87.5 MAX.
I also haven't figured out the theory of being able to "overcharge" a battery. A battery would charge much in the same as a capacitor- when discharged, voltage is low, but will readily 'take on' current, hence a rapid rate of charge. As the battery charges up close to the battery charger's voltage, current would drop off exponentially, therefore have a much slower rate of charge. Finally, once a battery has reached the same voltage as the charger, in theory, current flow will cease.
However, I know this phenomenon does exist. My reasoning is that the battery's internal resistance is a cause of current flow even while the battery is fully charged, causing excess heat and 'gassing'. This is also the same reason that leaving your truck sit for months with the batteries disconnected from the truck (but connected to eachother) will cause them to drain.
--motor/trans sold--

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.