How to prepare truck for Alaska... - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 01:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm there every 2 weeks 12 months a year. In Anchorage there some reliable shops that can install the block heater and blankets. You will probably be better getting them there rather than in the lower 48 states as they deal with them on a regular basis. The fuel there is treated with anti-gel in the colder weather and is usually good to -40F or -40C (they are the same at that temperature) Narrow tires cut thru the snow better than wide tires which tend to sit on top of the snow with limited traction so most folks up there have 2 sets of wheels and tires. Another item you will need is a winter front which is a cover for your grill, without this you will never get your engine to warm up in the minus weather.
jalopy45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaBill View Post
That's something I hadn't considered, battery heaters, I'm glad you mentioned that...

I would recommend using battery blankets instead of the battery pads that go on the base of the battery... I've heard a few stories about the battery heater pads being worn through from the batteries sliding around and resulting in engine compartment fires. Definitely not a happy experience.

Battery blankets will instead wrap around the sides of the battery and can be held in place with zip ties or a similar fastener.

That's what I did on my truck for up here in Fairbanks, AK. The weather in Anchorage though is warmer than Fairbanks.

George
1992 F350 7.3 Liter IDI Four door long bed 4x4 5 Speed Manual ZF. Future: ATS Turbo, John Deere green paint job, gear vendor overdrive kit, Herculiner for the bed, and WVO fuel kit. Also 1990 F250 7.3 Liter IDI two door supercab with 5 Speed Manual ZF planning to sell after I pull my cd player, CB radio, and slider back glass out.
George_7.3IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonezie121 View Post
Blizzaks and green something tires work well ... err... as well...
Green Diamond are the type of tires. I've never used them but I've heard some good things about them. At the moment I run Blizzaks... when I wear them out I'll probably try some of those Green Diamond tires to see how well they work to develop my own opinion.

George
1992 F350 7.3 Liter IDI Four door long bed 4x4 5 Speed Manual ZF. Future: ATS Turbo, John Deere green paint job, gear vendor overdrive kit, Herculiner for the bed, and WVO fuel kit. Also 1990 F250 7.3 Liter IDI two door supercab with 5 Speed Manual ZF planning to sell after I pull my cd player, CB radio, and slider back glass out.
George_7.3IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.