Hy -Gard Trans Fluid,John Deere - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hy -Gard Trans Fluid,John Deere

I was talking to a guy with a newer Dodge truck and he was saying this trans fluid,Hy-Gard from John Deere is been put in a lot of thier truck trans as it provides better lub and less wear then reg oil. Here is what he says,[If Randy is correct and he usually is, we don't need to change oil in the trans until we have 300K(!!!) on it. He says watch the oil color. If it turns brown then change it and find out what is wrong. Otherwise let it alone as long as everything is working properly. He did say that there will be NO scum like you get with ATF because the better lubrication stops clutch wear. He also said that even after 300K(!!!) the cleanliness of the trans will shock you].
I wonder if this stuff will work in our trucks, my friend says his truck shifts way firmer now with no slippige towing his 5th wheel and trans temps our down.
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hy -Gard Trans Fluid,John Deere

now thats interesting--does he have 300,000 on a trans with this in it the whole time????
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)

this are automatic transmission he's talking about not manual, right?

exekiel
- exekiel coolant filter system (Fleet-guard filter and dca)
- Agnem starting system :-)
more pics
BOOB Man
exekiel69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 10:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

this oil is a gear lube/hydraulic oil I would be a little scared to run it in an auto as its a little thicker then ATF also it is brown to start with [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

96 F-350 4x4 regularcab dually 5spd 4.10LS [color:"red"]Home made Bumper[/color]DIY open air intake hypermax dp 4" exhaust DIY exhaust brake [color:"red"]Dump bed[/color]

93 F-250 factory turbo 4x4 extended cab [color:"blue"]MyPics[/color] 4.10 5spd K&N filter ATS outler and down pipe 3in exhaust to twin 5" stacks tweaked wastegate turned up pump LUK clutch boost and pyro and much more to come[color:"blue"]Mickey Thompsons classic II 265 75 16 Courser C/T[/color]

Ford makes it IH shakes it

Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon

93turbo'd_animal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I worked at John Deer around 85 86 and we had a fluid for the tractors that exceded the ratings of dextron and type
F atf at the time. I used it in my truck when I changed fluid and run it over 200,000 before any problems, this was in a dodge with a 747 tranny. this oil was a lighter red color that atf
Old 04-30-2005, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I worked at John Deer around 85 86 and we had a fluid for the tractors that exceded the ratings of dextron and type
F atf at the time. I used it in my truck when I changed fluid and run it over 200,000 before any problems, this was in a dodge with a 747 tranny. this oil was a lighter red color that atf

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for John Deere now and have for 20+ years. The old fluid that was red in color was called Hydrostatic Fluid and was very similar to ATF. What John Deere now has is called Low Viscosity Hy Gard. It is still a hydraulic fluid but is only a 33 viscosity where the normal Hy Gard is 59 viscosity. They use it in place of Hydrostatic Fluid, in power steering units and hydraulic systems, especially hydrostatic drive systems. "Low-Viscosity HY-Gard replaces the John Deere All-Weather Hydrostatic Fluid and should be used as a direct replacement for all applications recommending hydrostatic fluid."

Not a definite answer, but I have used hydrostatic fluid as ATF and P/S fluid and never had any problems.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I work for John Deere now and have for 20+ years. The old fluid that was red in color was called Hydrostatic Fluid and was very similar to ATF. What John Deere now has is called Low Viscosity Hy Gard. It is still a hydraulic fluid but is only a 33 viscosity where the normal Hy Gard is 59 viscosity. They use it in place of Hydrostatic Fluid, in power steering units and hydraulic systems, especially hydrostatic drive systems. "Low-Viscosity HY-Gard replaces the John Deere All-Weather Hydrostatic Fluid and should be used as a direct replacement for all applications recommending hydrostatic fluid."

Not a definite answer, but I have used hydrostatic fluid as ATF and P/S fluid and never had any problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with rbdutton on the fluid as for if it works I only have handshakers but I was just stating the difference in weight would worry me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

96 F-350 4x4 regularcab dually 5spd 4.10LS [color:"red"]Home made Bumper[/color]DIY open air intake hypermax dp 4" exhaust DIY exhaust brake [color:"red"]Dump bed[/color]

93 F-250 factory turbo 4x4 extended cab [color:"blue"]MyPics[/color] 4.10 5spd K&N filter ATS outler and down pipe 3in exhaust to twin 5" stacks tweaked wastegate turned up pump LUK clutch boost and pyro and much more to come[color:"blue"]Mickey Thompsons classic II 265 75 16 Courser C/T[/color]

Ford makes it IH shakes it

Don't worry about the mule just load the wagon

93turbo'd_animal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.