ignition switch wiring diagram? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ignition switch wiring diagram?

My F350 has the ignition lock removed cause it jammed, so now the ignition switch is just hanging off the harness under the dash, and I have to start it by manually moving the ignition switch slider. It's a bit annoying and uncomfortable, so I'm thinking of installing an on-off-on switch for the main power and a push button for the starter. For this I will need a diagram as to which wires gets energized during "start", "run", and on the opposite end which ones get power with the switch on "acc"? I did something similar to my Lincoln two years ago, but I'm not sure the harnesses are the same, even though they look similar.

In case you're wondering why I just don't replace the ignition lock - I can't seem to find the actuating rod on top of the column, or anywhere else for that matter, it may have fallen off the column at some point, and I have no clue as to what it looks like and how to get it back in there. Thanks!

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
The rod may have broken in two........ normal problem.... you must have a tilt steering column.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will post a picture of the tilt steering column and parts......yours is #23 see my photo link.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, I have a tilt column. I looked through your pictures, it was mostly engine-related things I saw, nothing about steering column or ignition switch... Do you also happen to have a wiring diagram for the switch?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

1987-91 Ford F Series Alarm, Remote Starter, Keyless Entry Wiring Information

Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers is a great website for wiring/autostart/alarm/stereo info.

Last edited by boomvan; 03-18-2008 at 06:24 PM.
boomvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

You must of been breathing down my neck........ I posted it right after my last post.

Tilt steering column 1 - TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting

What year is the truck.......... please put up a signature with truck info.

Last edited by cdnsarguy; 03-18-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

cdnsarguy, truck is a 1990 XLT Lariat. #23 in your diagram is the tilt actuator lever, and my tilt works fine. I'm looking at that diagram you have, and I can't even find the ignition switch (#50 maybe?), let alone an actuating rod. Here's what PartsAmerica have listed:

Does that look correct for my model year? If yes, how the heck does it go in the column - that's my biggest issue now, I can get an ignition lock cylinder but I have absolutely no clue how to get it connected to the switch! On my Lincoln only the wheel tilts, not half the column, and everything is much nicer to get to - just pull the plastic covers, all is right there, easily accessible - nothing like that in the F350, I'm at a total loss as to how to install a new rod for the ignition cylinder.

Also I figured them pins and wires out, they were just like my Lincoln (bet the ignition switch will interchange too):
- start - 41-977-ground and power on 37-32-262
- run - power on 37-16-687-297
- acc - power on 37-297

Just built me a two-switch harness to replace the ignition switch, however if I want to make it near ideal I need another switch and a relay, neither of which I have right now. Will probably hold off installing it right away, as I wanna make it so it plugs directly in the stock plug, like a breakout harness.

boomvan, thanks for the linky, will probably use it quite a lot soon.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

That is the item ......one must remember the schematic is an exploded view, things are much closer together in real life.

You will be required to remove available external covers and the st wheel, you should then see the part on the top behind the turn signal MFS. If anyone has done this personally please jump in here and help MLSC.... with directions.

I really need to write up instructions for this or at least find some......... saw it done once. No camera handy....sorry.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

You know, I kinda gave up on fixing the ignition lock and all, tis just a bit more work than I'm willing to put into it, besides with my luck while trying to get that piece replaced I'll break either the tilt, or the multi-switch, and likely both, lol

I did install my switches today, and they work nice, I just need one of the single-circuit switches replaced with a dual-circuit switch and one more wire added between two of the terminals, and it'll be all good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.