intercooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
intercooler

Im wantin to install an intercooler on my '89 7.3, it came from the factory without a turbo but I put on an aftermarket one, I imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult to rig up any powerstroke intercooler to fit my turbo and fabricate a mount but im not sure, does anyone have any input on this? thanks
zjhothan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are a number of pics and how-to write-ups out there. It is pretty much like you said. I plan on setting mine up for a turbo and intercooler when I am doing my cab swap (bend firewall seam in, mount intercooler, and cut radiator support for piping). Don't have the turbo yet, still watching and bidding on ebay, but I do have intercooler and cab ready to go.
Flipper612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Banks makes one for our trucks
3in lift
K&n air filter and home made ram air
5in stack straight pipes
165,xxx mi (I think/hope)
Large tranny cooler
16-18mpg
Soon to be turbo'd with nice cold air and wraped exhauste be for turbo
Rustyshackleford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ha!!! rusty shackleford I love it. thanks man ill check that out
zjhothan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

That is the one I have. As I said not installed but it looks very well built. Its will need to have holes cut in rad support and some other mods.

I am holding off cab swap project until spring, still looking for turbo to do everything at same time and truck is a dump and used for plowing in winter. Bidding on a Banks kit now.
Flipper612 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjhothan View Post
Im wantin to install an intercooler on my '89 7.3, it came from the factory without a turbo but I put on an aftermarket one, I imagine that it wouldn't be too difficult to rig up any powerstroke intercooler to fit my turbo and fabricate a mount but im not sure, does anyone have any input on this? thanks
What kind of turbo did you put on? What are the specs of it as well?
88 Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

hey guys theres a idi turbo kit for sale in the performance ads on here in the classifieds
struttnruttn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm running an intercooler from a 2001 7.3 it's an easy fit and are pretty cheap from wreckers. Try to get the pipes and couplers also. Search there are plenty of posts and pictures.

1975 CJ5 AMC 360 Boxed frame, shackle reverse and sprung over, YJ springs, Twin stick D20 with D18 low range gears, NP435 Waggy axles 538 gears, on board air, welder and shower, GM throttle body injection

2004 Jaguar XJ8

2004 Heritage Softail

2009 Road King

Last edited by BobG; 01-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Powerstroke intercoolers are common to put in our older trucks. I got mine off of ebay. Radiator core has been cut, but it's too friggin' cold outside.

'Fuging free WMO fuel with a WVO Design Extreme unit
Blind DrIver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

I put one from a 2000 PDS in that came from the junk yard with the stock pipes, couplers and mounts- got it for $150. You have to disassemble the front end and cut out the space on the radiator mount and radiator flange. We welded up some flat bar mounts on the frame to sit it on and then used the stock dampeners with some small brackets up top- dampening is very important because our trucks flex a lot.

Anyhow, I did it in two phases- first getting the IC in, then competing the piping. The second phase was a bit tricky. My brother in law fabed up an intake hat that was totally custom for my application- someone has to build one. Then I took the stock piping and some pipes and fittings I got from siliconeintakes.com and spent the day cutting and fitting and cleaning... it's all gotta be clean so no metal chips get in the old girl. When I got it all together and ran it....oh baby... I consistently see EGT about 200 degrees less and can get so much more pulling when loaded.

Total cost for my IC, about $425.

Was it a hassle- yes!! Would I do it again or recommend it- you bet!!
1993 F350 XLT CC 4x4, 7.3 IDI with a Banks Sidewinder, 4" muffled exhaust, 2000 PSD IC, ZF 5 speed, SMF Clutch, converted to a dually with a stock rear end and bed and adapter plates on the front to haul our 2009 Arctic Fox 1150 TC and pull toys around.

Last edited by flashover; 01-26-2013 at 11:17 AM.
flashover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.