Lift pump cam lobe worn off motor. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift pump cam lobe worn off motor.

this common? have a 88, had a brand new IH motor installed in 93, motor got around 100k on it, and wore lift pump lobe off the cam, common problem? just gonna run an electric pump....
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: Lift pump cam lobe worn off motor.

Never seen first hand but heard of it... Yeppers just do the electric and call it a day...

Remember the block off plate is for a Chevy Big Block - fits like a glove...
Old 01-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

You can get the Facet-Purolator Pump available from NAPA - Belkamp label, NAPA Part# 6101050, only $36 out the door. Mount it on the frame rail, just in front of the fuel tank selector valve. They push better than they pull.
You MUST also buy a 'Big Block Chevy Block Off Plate while you are at the parts store ~ $5. When you remove the mech pump you cover the hole in the block with the 'Block-off plate'
When you change the fuel filter, next time, you don't have to worry about filling the fuel filter with diesel before you spin it back on. After it's tighten up, just turn on the e-pump and it'll fill right up. You can get a Holly Red pump from Summit Racing for $95.88. You should also get the Oil Pressure Saftey Switch also available from Summit for $19.88. You can buy a generic Oil Pressure Saftey Switch that 'open'(turns off the current/circuit) when the oil pressure drops below 4-6lbs. I have a by-pass switch on my oil pressure saftey switch for those times when I want the pump to pump fuel up even though the engine isn't running. Click on the "E-pump Wiring diagram in my Signature. If you want a printable/readable version, send me your email address. OkieGringo
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

i put a john deere electric pump on it.
as far as a block off plate, i just cut the arm off the mechanical pump and reinstalled it.
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

That's not a bad idea, as long as you ran the fuel line AROUND the old pump. You don't want the fuel under pressure blowing the rubber diaphram out and FILLING UP THE CRANKCASE WITH DIESEL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]. That would not only ruin your day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]OkieGringo
<font color="red">1987 F350, 4X4, Crew Cab, DRW, w/'91 7.3 TURBO-CHARGED BY ATS, no-Wastegate(Turbo rebuilt by me 7/2005)</font>, <font color="blue">E4OD Auto, Aux Trans Cooler w/12" fan, w/Baumann Programable Trans Computer-12/05</font>, Rebuilt Injection Pump-2/03, Electric Fuel Pump, Coolant Filter, "BajaGringo Block Drains, 5-Row Radiator Core-9/04, 2 New Plastic Fuel Tanks w/new Sending Units/Pickups, Fuel Filler Neck Mods, Air Ram Intake, Air-Lift SuperDuty AirBags with Smart Lift Auto Leveling-7/2005 <font color="blue">Link to Photo of "OkieGringo Idler Pulley"</font>
<font color="red">Link to GP Controller Diagram</font> <font color="blue">Link to "Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Diagram"</font>
OkieGringo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Was it brand new or remanufactured? When I went through my engine the lobe was in bad shape. That lobe was the only wear part that didn't come in the master rebuild kit. The cam came without it. I couldn't find one anywhere. You may have started with a partially worn lobe.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.