The Diesel Stop banner

Lost all gears at one time

17K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Mark Kovalsky 
#1 ·
New to diesel have a 90 f-250 7.3 idi was driving an lost all gears all at once now will not engage any gear and a low humming coming from trans? Any good place to start looking? Thanks

#4 ·
You could pull off a transmission line and see if fluid pumps out. There probably is a way but ive never had a transmission go bad on me before so i havent done it. Maybe go to a shop and ask questions or take it in. What were you doing when it stopped working?

#5 ·
Not sure if your torque converter has a drain plug but if it does i guess you could drain it and see if it refills too.

#7 ·
I bet your pump failed. But dont get dead set on what im telling you is true im just guessing hopefully somebody else chimes in.

#9 ·
^^^^ Yes, I've seen/had clutches fail just like that, of course, they usually gave some warning before hand, like excessive slipping or something of the like, but when they decide to let go it is all at once.

#13 ·
^^^^^ This. FIRST thing, shift to Park, and see if the truck can be pushed. If it can, the transmission may be fine, and the t-case may be out.

It would also be worth trying to drive the truck in 4HI and 4LO; this would indicate yet some other possible t-case problem, or a rear driveshaft/diff issue.

#12 ·
Would be nice to know what transmission and whether it's a 2WD or a 4WD. When asking questions about your truck.

From the other posts, I assume it's a E4OD with 4WD.

Check your trans fluid level, a hose could have failed and lost all fluid.

Rarely ever does a trans pump go out unless all fluid is lost.

The transfer case could have could have gone out. Ever check the oil in it ?

If you heard a noise, the flex plate could have broken.

#14 ·
We need to know ALL the truck's details & history. Click this, read the caption, and follow its suggestions:

Make sure the t-case is in a drive range, and check its fluid. Check the rear axle oil. Put the t-case in 4WD, lock the hubs, and see if the truck will drive (preferably off pavement).

#17 ·
You have a transfer case problem.

#19 ·
That means the problem is forward of the transfer case. It could be something inside the trans, the torque converter, or the flex plate. The best way to narrow it down is to pull the trans out and tear it down, unless you find a broken flex plate when the trans is removed.

#22 ·
That means the problem is forward of the transfer case. It could be something inside the trans, the torque converter, or the flex plate. The best way to narrow it down is to pull the trans out and tear it down, unless you find a broken flex plate when the trans is removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.