Manual Glow Plug Controller Problems - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual Glow Plug Controller Problems

I have a 1994 F250 IDI. I have always had problems with the glow plugs. I decided to switch over to a manual control glow plug system. The first time I tried it I held the glow plugs on for about 30 - 40 seconds and it started fine, but from then on it won't start at all. I checked and it appears I burned up all the glow plugs. I ordered a set of ZD9s and will put those in. SO my question is, right now with no glow plugs working I am getting 12v at the glow plug terminal. Will it reduce to 9v after the glow plugs are working properly? How long is a good time to hold the glow plugs on without worrying about burning them up?
Kliph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

How did you install the manual switch - the "correct" thing to do for a solid-state controller would be to just leave the controller as is, but add a ground wire from the post where the small white wire connects to, run the ground wire through the firewall, to a switch, and the from the switch to a good dash ground. Reason for this is the relay receives key-on 12V from the ignition, the controller itself (black box under relay) only grounds the relay through that small white wire and allows it to close the big circuit and power the glowplugs, so with that manual grounding switch you'll be just duplicating the controller action.

Also, glowplugs should be on for no more than 15 seconds, I've had my truck fire up on 6 glow plugs running for 10 seconds on a cold summer morning, so 15 seconds on 8 good glowplugs should be plenty heat to get yours going. Who told you to keep the glow on for 30-40 seconds? I think you're better off to take anymore diesel advice from them with extreme caution...

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks M.L.S.C. I basically by passed the controller completely, so when I flip the switch it connects the relay. I guess the 30 - 40 seconds was for 94 up Power Strokes. So do you think with the new glow plugs installed the voltage will reduce to 9v at the plugs? I will start out with 10 seconds and see how that works, and MAX of 15 seconds. Right?
Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Send a message via AIM to 7.3L F-250
you should not leave the glow plugs on any diesel for more then 10-15 seconds
1989 ford F-350 7.3L idi pick up

CURRENT PROJECTS
1978 ford F-350 custom
7.3L F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliph View Post
Thanks M.L.S.C. I basically by passed the controller completely, so when I flip the switch it connects the relay. I guess the 30 - 40 seconds was for 94 up Power Strokes. So do you think with the new glow plugs installed the voltage will reduce to 9v at the plugs? I will start out with 10 seconds and see how that works, and MAX of 15 seconds. Right?
So basically you didn't mess with the fat wires, just the thin ones? As in, the fat wires from the battery still go to one of the 3/8" post of the relay, that snaked stainless steel strip is still attached to the other 3/8" post of the relay, and the glowplug wires are still attached at the end of the snaked stanless steel strip? You should be good then. But yeah, make sure you have that snaked stainless strip between the relay and the glowplugs, that's what drops the voltage to those 9V or whatever else it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3L F-250 View Post
you should not leave the glow plugs on any diesel for more then 10-15 seconds
TJ, tell that to my controller - it believes that 15 seconds is the minimum glow time, and yes I made darn sure my ground is good.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys,

Yes I have the battery cable to one side and the snaked stainless steel going down to the glow plug leads on the other side. Is there any way for the stainless steel going bad and not reducing the voltage?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not really, can't see how it'd go bad, it's just too simple. That said, I don't remember ever seeing 9V at my glowplugs either, and mine work just fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.