Mixing gas and diesel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mixing gas and diesel

i seen a guy in an 18 wheeler with both gas and diesel nozzles filling up his tank. whats up with that?
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Maybe he screwed up...... was it in the same tank.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Was it two different hoses in one tank or one hose in the left tank, one in the right tank?

At truck stops there are main and slave pumps, both pump through the same meter so you can fill both left and right tanks at the same time.

If it was actually gas and diesel, some old school folks will run a mix of gas and diesel (mostly diesel, just a bit of gas) to help with fuel gelling in cold weather. Or the guy just screwed up and will be making expensive repairs in the near future.

Dave / Believer45

LINK TO LIST OF THE FALLEN

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS (LINK TO MY REVIEW), LUK clutch, homemade REAR BUMPER, open element AIR FILTER, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Believer45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
maybe has a seperate generator that runs on gasoline?....just a thought
y2k F250 7.3 psd Calif emissions, ext cab long bed 265/75/R16 E rated tires, 230k miles 4x4 (nv271 manual t-case) 7.3 #1247981 1/18/00 (forged rods), 3.73LSD, non-diode 4R100, Dp tuner stock, 60t 60e 80t 80e, high idle. DIY 6637 air filter, wicked wheel, turbo master WG controller, turbo lifesaver, bellowed uppies, 4" downpipe & exhaust, 203t-stat, triple pod glowshift gauges (egt, tranny, boost), Ride-rite 2330 air bags, BTS VB, Sports a Western plow when the white stuff flies.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...34518624_n.jpg
knoweigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasboyz View Post
i seen a guy in an 18 wheeler with both gas and diesel nozzles filling up his tank. whats up with that?
I do that all winter long, 1:4 mix with regular diesel, I add some lubricity additives too tho as gas is a dry fuel and does nothing good to the IP or injectors. I can start my truck on the on just one cycle of glowplugs after a full night of -5F temperatures and nasty winds with no heater plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoweigh View Post
That's very good suggestion, with the idling laws getting stricter and stricter more and more trucks out there have APUs to keep the cab warm and lit with the main engine off.

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoweigh View Post
he could of had a gas gen mounted to the frame of the truck,but i have never seen gas pumps at the same fuelling spot as diesel,to many drivers would screw up and put gas in there tanks by mistake.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
I have a Chiltons diesel manual that says up if you accidentally put gas in your tank, you can top it off with diesel and run it as long as there in no more than 30% gas. I wouldn't try it myself, but they say it won't do any harm

Homemade Propane Injection.

RUNS ON PURE WASTE MOTOR OIL!
No more diesel for me...
1987IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rotaryboots
I run a 1 gallon of gas to about 9-10 gallons of diesel in the winter which for sure helps with fuel line freezing and gelling. thats an interesting story though, I'm sure its not good to run such a dry mix in those large of engines; I know my cat wouldn't like it
'90 7.3 IDI F350 4x4 Custom, ext cab, E4OD w/ tow package, 4.10 Dana LSD rear, 94' ATS turbo kit w/ 99' PSD wastegated charger set at ~20psi max, copper firering head, studs, turbo IDI block, mild head work, Delta Cam, Moose pump, turbo injectors, 6.0 PSD intercooler, propane injection, 3in exhaust. Almost 300 and 500. (added 2 more flats than previously) 296hp, 487tq (6/4/11)

'03 7.3ltr Powerstroke F350 4x4 4dr. SCT Livewire, ATS exhaust, rebuilt HD trans, 6.0 trans cooler, fuel mods, AFE intake, Garrett gtp38r ball bearing turbo; glad its not a troublesome 6.0
rotaryboots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

and it was at a regular store not a truck stop thats why he was able to use both at the same time. he used the gas nozzle from the pump on the other side and diesel on his side
Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
sounds like he has a generator to me my brothers pete has a gas gen on it becuase its so much quieter than the diesel gen.
had 162,000kms when i bought it 3 years ago
trugertha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

i got pretty close to the guy without being too nosey but he was putting both in one tank. Several people in my fam own a logging business and they didnt know why either. The two women that i know that works at the store asked me "why is he mixing them"
Old 04-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
o into one tank then i don't know haha
had 162,000kms when i bought it 3 years ago
trugertha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

o well
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well, if he was heading up north or up in the mountains to a place where it still gets pretty darn cold overnight, that's his way of ensuring his fuel won't gel up. The fuel down south ain't like the one we use here between fall and late spring, y'all run on what we call summer blend all year long, whereas we have to switch to avoid gelling. There are many folks who at some point filled up down south, then drove up here without refueling along the way (easy if you got an external tank), pulled up in a hotel for the night and in the morning realized the fuel ain't quite as liquid as it was the day before... An 18-wheeler usually gets about 6mpg when loaded (many can do better), so even with two 150-gal tanks he's good for 1800 miles which is more than enough to get from TX to Canada. This past X-mas I was down to New Orleans picking up a car, on my way back to Detroit I filled up both tanks and then six plastic 6-gal fuel jugs, and I pre-mixed gas and diesel 1:4 in all of them - I drove all the way to MI on that fuel, not only was it cheaper this way but also I never had issues with gelled fuel and frozen pumps and all that good stuff.

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

I put 24 gallons gas in a 38 gallon tank in my 99 PSD, up in the Yukon by mistake, ran 250 miles on it, just a knocking and no power. Had to go back to WhiteHorse a 100 miles before I found out what I had done. 15,000 miles since then and no problems so far. Was pulling a 30ft.5er then

Built Ford Tough.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.

Last edited by Bill1013; 04-21-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.