The Diesel Stop banner

My fun with brake pads.

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  doob51 
#1 ·
I changed the front brake pads on my F-350 yesterday. I was surprised that they were inexpensive and were fairly easy to change :lookaround:. I also noticed the the calipers were original equipment and was amazed how well they held up after 19 years :thumbsup:, I put my truck back together and went in the house astonished that everything had went well AND I didnt even get to dirty........... Then came the next day. I hopped in my truck and started to drive and noticed that I didnt have alot of power. I had to get to the electric company so I just gave it a little more pedal to gain speed . By the time I got there 15 miles away the front end was smoking, I didnt have to be a genius to figure out both calipers had locked up on the front and wouldnt release so I turned around and drove it back to the house and parked it. It was lightly raining so it kept the smoke down while I drove. I went to get parts which took all day being that I couldnt get them in my town. Had to drive a while to get them. I got hoses too so that I wouldnt get in there a third time. I started to work and got to the point of removing the caliper hose...... After 45 minutes of fighting and cursing the man's mother of who designed that clip that holds it in place I grabbed a ball peen hammer and a chisel and snipped the fitting off from the front so I could push it through force it around and see what I was dealing with. Who would make such an item ? You cant get the clip off with out removing the brake line and you cant take the brakeline off cause the clip is in the way. I tried on the other side to do it properly but the rain was running down my back and I had had enough ! Chisel time! It just amazes how an hour job can turn into a fiasco from something as simple as a clip. They should however build rocket ships out of the same material cause I have found after all my prying and smashing and cursing... lots of cursing. that clip held firmly and is indestructable. :yesnod:

See less See more
#2 ·
the brakes Ford chose for the front of the OBS F-Series are exciting, that's for sure.

lord deliver me from sliding calipers

#3 ·
Ya the last time I drove myn there was a piece of metal lying on the ground when I came home picked it up and it was the top guide pin that holds caliper on��������

#5 ·
I scored new calipers from rockauto on their last ford truck clearance, they were about three bucks more than buying pads and they came with all hardware. my next front brake service will be a complete replacement.

#9 ·
Thank you for showing me rock auto parts. I have seen lots of great prices on things for my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.