The Diesel Stop banner

Need overheat help

958 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Trucker87 
#1 ·
So I've had this truck for a couple of weeks, been riding around, doing some odds and ends and I noticed something just now. It was just out idling and I shut it off and the heater hose right on top of the block was making noise. I popped the hood, with engine off, and it was deflated and struggling, quickly relieved the pressure at the cap, the overflow line was not in the resivior all the way, there's alittle antiF in the overflow but not alot. Turned over still, not locked up. Just letting it cool off, any steps you guys recommend, new here, so I apperciate the help. Should I fill the radiator all the way up too, like a gas?

1992 F350 XLT lariat dually IDI

#2 ·
The radiator should be full to the top. The overflow hose shoud be in the recovery bottle to the bottom just like any other cooling system. Does the gauge work? Was there enough coolant there for it to register? The collapsed heater hose might just have been a failed hose. Let it cool, cross your fingers, and fill it up. run it till it gets to operatimg temp. and see what happens.

#3 ·
. It was just out idling and I shut it off and the heater hose right on top of the block was making noise. I popped the hood, with engine off, and it was deflated and struggling, quickly relieved the pressure at the cap
The heater hoses are 5/8" ID and about 1" OD. I think your referring to the hose that goes to the top of radiator which is about 2" in diameter. If that is the hose and is collapsing, there is something wrong with the t'stat, it should still be open for flow, the coolant will increase in temp a little because there is no pump flow when the engine is shut down.

You should keep the overflow tank up to it's cold fill line and the overflow hose from the radiator close to the bottom of the OF tank. If the coolant system is overfilled, the radiator cap should open and let some of the excess coolant flow to the overflow tank.

These engines normally have a 13 PSI radiator cap, some people use a 16 PSI cap, not recommended.

On a cold engine and radiator, the coolant level in the radiator should be about an inch from the top to allow coolant expansion when the engine reaches operating temp, operating temp with no towing load should be 180*F to 192*F. The fan clutch should kick in to hi speed around 235*F to 240*F, that can normally happen when towing a heavy load.

#4 ·
My fan clutch will lock up at 220. 240 should trigger the overheat light IIRC.

#6 ·
Yeah Chuckster, all of them lockup at different temps, I just quoted the highest temp they usually do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.