The Diesel Stop banner

New IP will not start

3K views 50 replies 5 participants last post by  oldrebuiltdodge 
#1 ·
Finally got my truck put back together ,I put the pump On with the timing cover off so I could make sure all timing marks were lined up ,Got it all back together and ready to start just cranks and no start ,Do I need to rotate the IP ? It's all the way to the right if your looking at from front right now

#2 ·
Okay, lots of things come to mind knowing you took a lot apart.

First: Are you POSITIVE that the IP gear is properly timed? I posted a link to a page showing how to time the gear without taking the front cover off.

Second: Are you POSITIVE that you have all the injector lines hooked back up in the right order?

There are 3 electrical connections on the IP, are you POSITIVE you have at least the FSS wire hooked up right?

The starting point for timing the IP is straight up and down, there should be a mark on the pump and housing on the back side. Don't bother moving anything until it fires and runs.

#3 ·
I'm positive on the timing marks ,I need a pic of the back of IP lines but can't find a good pic for anything on Google ,I got it to run now finally, pump is about lined up with Mark on housing and still runs like crap ,idle is at zero on gauge on verge of dying ,
I will have to take pics of the three wires on the IP but I'm pretty sure they are right

#4 · (Edited)
Okay now that it's running, with the engine OFF, rotating the pump towards the passenger side will advance the timing. Make very small (dime width) changes and test again. Where did you get the pump from?

Autozone has a clear picture of the back of the IP labeling the injector lines.

#6 ·
Rotating while running isn't recommended I bet the gear timing is off. Did you look at Auto Zone for injector line order?

#8 ·
Are you sure when you lined up the marks on the timing gears that you did so on the compression stroke, if you did it on the exhaust stoke the timing will be 180 degrees out. The engine will run but very rough. No amount of adjusting on the IP will make any difference.

#10 · (Edited)
Not really, goes back to basic high school auto shop, when you line up crank, cam and IP timing gears using the correct marks with the front cover off which the OP said he did, any engine is automatically on TDC with #1 cyl firing on the compression stroke. It's NOT and can't be on the exhaust stroke. ....Think about it.

#11 ·
In this case he didn't have the FRONT cover off, just the IP GEAR COVER. I did give him the link in another thread to a page that shows how to set it correctly with the gear cover off.

#12 ·
On with the timing cover off so I could make sure all timing marks were lined up
Who knows, maybe he used the wrong terminology, he says in quote above timing cover, not IP gear cover, and refers to ALL timing marks? And in this or his other post IIRC he refers to having the radiator and all out and pulling the entire front cover.

#13 ·
You could be right. I thought he said just the gear cover.

#14 ·
If he used the wrong marks to line the crank to cam, the cam would be 180* out. Y to o instead of o to o. I've seen that happen before. However, I still think, since he admits that he doesn't know how the injector lines fit back on, he probably has one or two of them crossed. That would be my first place to check anyway. Beyond the obvious priming that he most likely has already done.

Reactions: LMJD
#16 ·
I give up. If he would have not started another thread, it would be easy to referrer to the pictures I posted. I posted a pic of the gear timing also a pic of the location of the injector lines to each cylinder on the IP. Chuckster also linked the procedure on how to time. If he can't go by those, it's hopeless.

#18 · (Edited)
Yea I agree ,If the mark was at the bottom it would be 180 out
No it wouldn't. The CORRECT mark on the IP gear has to be at the bottom, mated with the CORRECT TOP mark on the cam gear, and the CORRECT mark on the BOTTOM of the cam gear has to mate with the one and only "O" mark on the up top on the crankshaft gear. Just like has been pictured on this thread or your other one. And if so, as I posted, the engine HAS TO BE at TDC firing on #1, it can't be 180 off. However if you mated the Y on the IP gear to the O on the cam gear instead of its Y, then you WOULD be 180 off since the cam turns once for every 2 turns of the crankshaft.

OK On the IP gear it has two marks an A and a Slash mark ,on gear under that it has Y and an A
There's no A or slash marks on the IP gear. The factory uses O's and Y's on the timing gear set only and there's no way anyone in a shop stamped anything on a gear with letter stamps, I've overhauled gear sets from tractor-trailer differentials on down and I never ran across a gear in anything that wasn't about hard as a diamond. There may be some production marks inward from the gear teeth but they'd be hard to be confused with timing marks.

Reactions: oldrebuiltdodge
#19 ·
I have posted twice that you need to go to Auto Zone on line. Look in the repair info section for your truck and there will be a diagram of the back of the pump labeling the lines.

#20 ·
I don't think it matters, Chuckster, we've also said time after time the timing schematic and pump line pics are right here on one of his threads, the other one I think.

#21 ·
I'm about done now too.

#22 · (Edited)
Well, if he had kept his problems in ONE thread, he could plainly see the pictures I posted on the very question he's asking and what chuckster is telling him to go to Azone.

Here is the IP picture I posted before in his previous thread.

Now if he puts his glasses on, you can plainly see the the numbers of the cylinders that the injector lines go to. :icon_flaming:

The passenger side cylinders are #1 - #3 - #5 - #7

The drivers side cylinders are #2 - #4 - #6 - #8

To install the injector lines to the cylinders, start at #2 then 7-3-4-5-6-8-1

#24 · (Edited)
Are you telling me you can't see the post #22 above showing the IP with numbers on it and the procedure of reconnecting the injector lines? Click on the picture to enlarge it.

#31 · (Edited)
Geez, I forgot to say the magic words in the post. But I quickly did it.

Abra Kadabra make the pic appear.

Good Luck on ever getting it to run.

Here's to it and from it, if you don't do it, you'll never get to do it again.

I'm sure the next question is, " The lines don't match up to the cylinders"

#27 ·
Cylinders are ALWAYS numbered front to back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.