The Diesel Stop banner

New shocks?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  sweed 
#1 ·
How do you tell when you need new shocks on these trucks? I've put 33k miles on my truck since buying it, 90% of which was empty highway driving. (not much heavy towing or bouncing around on ranch roads). Not sure how new the shocks were when we bought the truck. I don't notice any significant bouncing, but do get a little bit of tilt on acceleration and braking. Is it safe to let them go a while longer?

What's the average price for a new set of shocks? Any brand suggestions? Thanks!

#2 ·
In a vehicle like this shocks won't stop the vehicle from swaying. they will stop it from BOUNCING. It DOES affect the lean-in when cornering, of course. If the vehicle continues to bounce after a bump then you need new shocks.

Everyone and their mom says that Bilsteins are the best shocks commonly available for our vehicles. Or you could go spend your savings on some Fox shocks ;)

#3 ·
Best way for me........is to remove and replace them every 100K I've found.

I just changed mine (4x4) to Sensatracs a few weeks ago due to visible leaking at the seals. If you like your ride ensure you do not go too stiff. Munroe is what I use normally...

#4 ·
Since you have a 2WD with decent spring travel, shocks WILL make a difference in your ride. As to what to buy, years ago I took my wife's car in to the alignment shop we sent all our heavy truck front end work too so I had gotten to know the owner. I mentioned my pickup was about due for shocks, but since it already rides so rough, I didn't want anything like the stiff Monroe Magnums. He laughed and took me into the waiting room where he had actual shocks cut in half mounted on a pegboard, Bilsteins, Monroes, KYBs and another brand. As was evident, he pointed out that regardless of the big outer housing, Monroe spends all their money on adds rather than valving, piston size, etc. Very puny compared to the others. It was obvious as he pointed out, the best were Bilsteins and KYBs. KYB doesn't advertise a lot like some others but they're high quality. I bought a set later and am still happy with them.

#5 ·
Take a shock off and see how easy is compresses and extends. It's 2 bolts to remove a rears shock and takes all of 10 minutes to put it back on.
the PO of my truck had the "BIG' gas magnums underneath. They look like hell when I removed them. My 3 year old could have compressed it. I went with Bilsteins and now I'm hooked they are great. I think KYB are a bit cheaper and I will put those on my Sport Trac or the front of my F250.
If you get in the truck bed and jump on the back and it bobs, bounces, and weaves all 3-5 times really easily, then I'd say the shocks are toast. I have to work hard to get 2-4 bounces in a row out of my new bilsteins

#6 ·
I think KYB are a bit cheaper and I will put those on my Sport Trac or the front of my F250.
Yes, they are a bit cheaper. IIRC I'd never really heard about them back then. I later looked them up and found out they are a HUGE hydraulics company in Japan. Valve banks, hyd cylinders, heavy equip. hydraulics plus all other industries on up. I was just thinking, need to look in my maintanance book, the KYBs I have got to be about 17 years old. No leaks, but old age has to have set in by now.:icon_wink:

#8 ·
I've never bought KYBs but I'm sick of Gabrials and monroes wearing out after 10K or less on my corolla. I live on dirt road and it's pretty rough, Even taking it easy is hard on the suspension so I'm trying to find quality without the $$$$. KYB seems a good fit. Bilsteins for the business end & $$$ making end of things

#10 ·
lol, Maybe, I wouldn't put my money on it. I thought my gas magnums were 'good' new bilsteins put them to shame.
New shocks makes a difference but, honestly, it still rides rough, as i expect it too. It's not really a big deal, to me atleast, weather or not the shocks are new. I do alot of towing and haul TONs of debris in my truck so I really needed the ride to be 100% But If I just drove my truck for 'fun' I would never change the shocks out either

#11 ·
Well, I used to have a taxi company , and a lot of dirt roads.
Found that Bilsteins was the ONLY shock that worked , and
now ALL my vehicles have them.
Suburban 2006 , lincoln town car 1986 and oh yes a Ford 1993
7.3 diesel. Just unbelivable the way they transformed the behaviour
of all those vehicles.Would not put anything else on my vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.