no oil pressure on 92 F250 w/7.3IDI - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy no oil pressure on 92 F250 w/7.3IDI

Engine was dissesembled by mechanic shop and overhauled by machine shop including rebore and sleeve all 8 cylinders. New bearings, one new rod and piston, overhaul IP, new water pump.

After truck put back together there is no oil pressure! sending unit removed and mechanical gage installed, still no oil pressure. Removed gage adapter at block, started engine, oil oozed out but extremely low volume and pressure. What should I check next? Is there anything I can do before removing pan and pump which is a chore in itself? Oil pump appeared ok before overhaul but engine sat diassembled for about 6 months. Mechanic shop takes no responsibility since he didn't overhaul engine.

Engine will start and run but noisy tappets due to no oil pressure/volume.

Any help appreciated
cldale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Remove the filter and check the filter header for the presence of the pressure regulating valve....... a circular disc held in by a staked washer.

There is also a bypass valve in there...........

Look on my pics below my name...... select 90 per page there is a schematic of the oil system.

Did you soak the lifters before installation.......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am checking with machine shop today. I suppose they whould have but not sure.

I will remove filter and check for regulator,Will the bypass valve prevent oil pressure/volume?

Thanks for input
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Removed filter, the regulator seems to be intact. Filter header looks good. Guess I'll have to remove oil pump to see if thats problem'
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Who installed the piston cooling jets, they fed from the same passage as the valve tappets......

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

"Removed gage adapter at block, started engine, oil oozed out but extremely low volume and pressure"
Do not run the engine, pull the pan and check the pump, pick up and check for pickup to pan clearance. Forget about whats not sounding right or other things effected by the low oil pressure, find out why there is low pressure in the first place.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Some body is responsible for that, either the mechanic or the machine shop. We ain't getting the whole story. The oil pump, pumps a hugh volumn of oil even at idle, should be about 10 - 20 PSI at idle at 70-80 degrees ambient on start up. Did they rebuild the oil cooler with new O'rings? The oil goes directly from the pump thru the oil cooler, thru the filter, then into the oil galleries. Pull the oil filter and check the bypass valve, that is the stacked ring to the right in the pic, push it in with a screw driver it should have quite a bit of resistance, if not you have to grind the stacks off to remove the spring and valve. They had to remove the oil pump to do all that work, surely they put the key back in the drive gear. Any responsible shop would make sure the pickup screen was clear, and the bolts tight. Pickup screen should be about 1/2" off the bottom, there is kind of a guard on it so it can't touch the bottom of the pan.

99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Some body is responsible for that, either the mechanic or the machine shop. We ain't getting the whole story. The oil pump, pumps a hugh volumn of oil even at idle, should be about 10 - 20 PSI at idle at 70-80 degrees ambient on start up. Did they rebuild the oil cooler with new O'rings? The oil goes directly from the pump thru the oil cooler, thru the filter, then into the oil galleries. Pull the oil filter and check the bypass valve, that is the stacked ring to the right in the pic, push it in with a screw driver it should have quite a bit of resistance, if not you have to grind the stacks off to remove the spring and valve. They had to remove the oil pump to do all that work, surely they put the key back in the drive gear. Any responsible shop would make sure the pickup screen was clear, and the bolts tight. Pickup screen should be about 1/2" off the bottom, there is kind of a guard on it so it can't touch the bottom of the pan.

good post bill,,and agreed,,something aint kosher.....and depending on how long it has run with no pressure,,rods and mains probably are damaged...and hope the cam bearings aint toast...
94 f250 idi turbo sc e4od alum fac rims 149,289 --dana 60 frt with posi--10.25 rear w/posi--shouldnt get stuck!! ats turbo 3" parts on--what a diff from stock turbo!!!!!--- also 96 F250 with 305,000 is fixed!!-- 7.3 rattler-also 85 6.9-needs new engine!! tired!!

Last edited by 94_turbo; 08-21-2011 at 07:38 AM.
94_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

As I read the posts..... I see nowhere where anyone did a prelube of the engine. Usually a requirement on totaly rebuilt engines if I'm not mistaken.

I agree running the engine more and more will not do it any good.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
I can't feature a genuine mechanic or machine shop doing this, but it sounds like the cam bearing oil holes may not have been lined up with the oil galley holes. Diesel engine oil pumps by design (compared to a gas engine) are pretty foolproof and trouble free. I don't know it all, but over the years I've about seen it all, a long time back the guy in the stall next to me pulled the pan due to a low oil pressure complaint and there was a shop rag tied neatly over the oil pickup screen. That's something we've all done when replacing rods and mains but it's advisable to remove the rag when done. So who knows, hard to say what you'll find?
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks to cdnsarguy,for the oil system layout and explanation for the 7.3 engine.

I for one would certainly like to know the outcome of the oil issue. Please keep us updated. It aught to be interesting.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The bypass under the filter wont affect oil pressure. That is to divert cold thick oil around the filter. The one in the header will. I would guess a pickup problem or the piston jets arent in, cam bearings wont cut oil to the sender port. It should be a geyser.

And upon thinking about this, I bet the galley plugs got left out of the lifter bores.!!!!!!

Oh and the oil pump didnt go bad sitting, they are nearly industructable. New melling ones have inferior quality control, I have one and dont like it.

made 218hp/461tq on a mustang dyno lasst dec with 80k on the rebuild
pyro,boost and all stock guages ignored with mechanical real ones
Fugitive sandrail. type 4 2840 turbo fi, lots of fun

PM please not visitor message

Last edited by typefour; 08-21-2011 at 04:24 PM.
typefour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Just to let everyone know, we are in the process of removing pan, pump etc. Will post a conclusion when we find out.
When I got the truck back it was run about 60 seconds max to check oil pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.