Oil Cooler By Pass? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler By Pass?

So my first post here… I have read lots of threads and they have been very helpful with many repairs I have done on my ’93 7.3 IDI F350 with 312K miles on it…
I have seen several conversations about Oil cooler replacement, and the question has been asked before about creating a bypass kit, so I am curious if anyone has done it.
I have a CNC Plasma Table so cutting block off plates would be fairly easy, then weld in A pipe fitting over the oil passage run a hose to a remote oil filter mount then through an external oil cooler (like a trans oil cooler) then back to the other bypass plate.
Has anyone done this?
I just want some other opinions be for I do this.
I have replaced this cooler once before and now it appears to be leaking again, just want to get rid of it.

Any Thoughts?
HatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
I want to try cutting cooler headers and tapping the passages before I try fabbing parts. But if as you say you have access to fancy tools then you might want to do it your way.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
I would say not for me thanks...
The oil cooler does 2 things cools and in winter heats oil. I think you would be hard pressed to cool/heat the oil as fast as the OEM cooler does. You would need a massive pipe to feed your modified cooler, I would think due to the quantity of oil moved.

TheDieselStop.Com Photo Hosting - Oil system

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't need any more pipe than what the stock cooler has... whatever that is. I haven't cut one up yet.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchMan View Post
So my first post here… I have read lots of threads and they have been very helpful with many repairs I have done on my ’93 7.3 IDI F350 with 312K miles on it…
I have seen several conversations about Oil cooler replacement, and the question has been asked before about creating a bypass kit, so I am curious if anyone has done it.
I have a CNC Plasma Table so cutting block off plates would be fairly easy, then weld in A pipe fitting over the oil passage run a hose to a remote oil filter mount then through an external oil cooler (like a trans oil cooler) then back to the other bypass plate.
Has anyone done this?
I just want some other opinions be for I do this.
I have replaced this cooler once before and now it appears to be leaking again, just want to get rid of it.

Any Thoughts?
Oilcooler is an easy repair if done right.
Do what you want, but I'd sure keep the OEM cooler your gonna need it down the road. X2 on what sarge said.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 05:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1013 View Post
Oilcooler is an easy repair if done right.
You call lifting or pulling the engine easy? Nothing wrong with the oil cooler if you can access it. Well, that's not strictly true. A design which typically wears out and mixes coolant and oil is wrong.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via MSN to NH2112 Send a message via Yahoo to NH2112
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkypoo View Post
You call lifting or pulling the engine easy? Nothing wrong with the oil cooler if you can access it. Well, that's not strictly true. A design which typically wears out and mixes coolant and oil is wrong.
Definitely. A liquid-air cooler would be more efficient, much easier to service in the unlikely even it DOES need service, and with an in-line thermostat in a cooler line would allow for faster warmup of the engine oil.

Check my lists of common part numbers in my photos! Updated often!

1991 F350 Lariat XLT, 7.3l, 5-speed, crew cab, SRW, 3.55, 2WD.

1990 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, in the process of a major overhaul/upgrade. OM617 on the horizon! Front & rear Dana 44s from a Wagoneer till I get some 1-ton axles built & narrowed, and eventually a front shackle reversal. Diesel YJ, bay-BEE, and not a cookie-cutter 4BT conversion!
NH2112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Do what you want, but I'd sure keep the OEM cooler your gonna need it down the road.
Right, I wouldn't consider it one of the more brilliant things I'd do to my pickup, most all diesels have oil coolers. Even the late gas engine pickups have an engine oil cooler nowdays. If mine leaked I'd reseal it right and go on with life. Mine's 19+ years old and never leaked a drop in 242,000 miles.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't eliminate the cooler, I just want to substitute something else for it, like an old-fashioned air cooler and remote filter mount. Probably with a couple of filters including one bypass type. I don't want the oil heat getting dumped into the cooling system because I have an auto trans and I am not abandoning the trans cooler in the radiator, although I may add another if it turns out to be necessary.

For the record, I think having no oil cooler would be nutso. I am just not impressed with the design of the stock unit. I might be more impressed if you didn't have to lift the motor to service it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.