PA state inspection guys..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PA state inspection guys.....

anyone have an idea about exhaust stacks and our awesome pennsylvania state inspection rules?? does it matter how far over the cab that they sit?
-'92 interior; '86 front clip; '04 Hydroboosted front and rear disc brake system; Slew of autometer gauges; dual 4.25" Stacks
-Rebuilt and upgraded my E4OD - billet input shaft and T.C. Remote mount Derale dual layer trans cooler; Baumann Trans Controller and Harness
-3" Body Lift, Cut-Out Bushwacker Fender Flares with 16x10 Eagle Alloy 186 on 33's

All done in the driveway and basement...
Cjhstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Re: PA state inspection guys.....

it matters on your inspection guy. the do need to be over cab a little bit to prevent fumes from entering. they SHOULD have heatsheails on them. that second part matters on the inspector. some dont know that and let it pass. other then them, get em up.
sittin on 36x12.5 goodyears
GETTING CONVERTED TO SHORTBED AS WE SPEAK!

TOW RIG
2002 gmc 2500hd 6.6 duramax 5 speed allison
4x4 extened cab.

2000 F550 Lube Truck (Work Truck)

Certified PA Inspection Mechanic

i'd rather be 6.9'n than cummin or strokin'!
CowKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man, I pitty you guys who live in draconian peoples republics that requiresuch BS.
'01 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab/SB w/360/auto 4X4 NO LIFT!!! Running 33-12.50X15 Hi-Tech-Retreads with Green Diamonds (alternative to studs!) on saw blade chrome wheels.
'62 Caddy 2dr, "slammed" with air bag suspension. I can literaly set it on the ground!!!!
'48 CJ2A w/'61 over head valve engine
'77 Chevy Caprice, rare 2 door! Built 350 4 bolt mains. Weyand high ram intake, Headman Headers, dual glass pack "cop callers", TH350 with high stall converter and B&M "street/strip" kit (churps the tires hitting 3rd @ 90MPH!!!!)
'84 AC 5040 w/ loader
'71 Dodge D200 w/'69 vette 327 & powerglide
'97 Morgan built 20' tilt car hauler
'01 Morgan built 16'cattle trailer
Ford 9N
Ford 8N
JD model 40C crawler
shitface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

THANK YOU! I pitty me too :-(
-'92 interior; '86 front clip; '04 Hydroboosted front and rear disc brake system; Slew of autometer gauges; dual 4.25" Stacks
-Rebuilt and upgraded my E4OD - billet input shaft and T.C. Remote mount Derale dual layer trans cooler; Baumann Trans Controller and Harness
-3" Body Lift, Cut-Out Bushwacker Fender Flares with 16x10 Eagle Alloy 186 on 33's

Old 05-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, PA sucks. I don't know about the height of the stacks but I do know you are "supposed to" have heat shields. I also thought you had to have a muffler in PA but some people have had no problems with no muffler during inspection. I'm leaving my muffler out for now and we'll see what happens when inspection time comes around.
1989 F-350 crew cab dually 4x4 7.3 IDI, Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. Rebuilt E4OD with Transcommand. push button start, 5" straight piped dual bullhorn stacks. New body work and paint. Custom diamond plate interior. Custom built front and rear HEAVY DUTY bumpers, Many Many Mods on the way. Just need more money and time. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] fuzzy dice hangin from the mirrior

1990 F-350 Crew Cab SRW 7.3 IDI with ATS turbo. Offroad wheels and tires. E4OD. custom exhaust and turned up pump. New bed and paint.

2001 Custom F-1150 (f-800 w/ f-350) crew cab pickup. "Big Red". 3208 turbo Cat w/ Allison auto. DVD, Navigatin, 6 disc cd changer. back up camera. 22.5 alcoas. dual 150 gallon tanks.

1979 Ford F-250 4x4 Highboy regular cab long bed. 351M 4 speed. Engine, drivetrain, and other upgrageds coming SOON! bought 11-25-07

2008 Mustang warrior edition convertible. FAST!! and 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x4 5.4 Triton

6 other IDI work trucks and 1 Powerstroke. all with plows and 4x4
ThomasBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mine isn't turbo charged = Extremely loud without a muffler. I'm running a 50 series HD flowmaster muffler, so it will still sound great!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, PA sucks. I don't know about the height of the stacks but I do know you are "supposed to" have heat shields. I also thought you had to have a muffler in PA but some people have had no problems with no muffler during inspection. I'm leaving my muffler out for now and we'll see what happens when inspection time comes around.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is another iffy thing. the book consideres a turbo a noise surpressing device. which means no muffler needed.

TOW RIG
4x4 extened cab.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I donno, I live in PA, I take all my vehicles to where I buy my tires,I drive in I hand them $22.00 and say everything works and they put a sticker on the windshield.

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is another iffy thing. the book consideres a turbo a noise surpressing device. which means no muffler needed.

[/ QUOTE ]It used to be that a Turbocharger was a sufficent "Muffling"device.They have amended that.There must be at a minimum a Resonator in the system now.Heatsheilds are mandatory. I wont pass a Big tk with strait stacks if they are Not shielded.But the Muffler part doesnt bother me that much.If they come back on me which is highly unlikely it was on when I inspected it would be my reply [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].It will be Up to the Person doing the Insp on weather it flies or Not.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

like i said, depends. lol

if it was a buddy of mines, i would let it pass..cough cough.

mine passed without the sheilds.

TOW RIG
4x4 extened cab.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I donno, I live in PA, I take all my vehicles to where I buy my tires,I drive in I hand them $22.00 and say everything works and they put a sticker on the windshield.

[/ QUOTE ]

What place do you go to?? I wanna go there!

Old 05-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

What type of head sheilds are we talking about? Does it just have to cover the area that is within the bed walls or above also?

Cowkiller... that is just about one of the coolest things I've seen in anybody's signature. Almost makes me wish a had a 6.9 instead of a 7.3 jus so i could say it...

Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
What type of head sheilds are we talking about? Does it just have to cover the area that is within the bed walls or above also?

Cowkiller... that is just about one of the coolest things I've seen in anybody's signature. Almost makes me wish a had a 6.9 instead of a 7.3 jus so i could say it...

[/ QUOTE ]

heatsheilds need to be in a location where passenger can be burnt. u will want to put one in the bed to prevent burning of objects in bed. they will get hot! as for above the bed, they dont need to cover entire thing. go from 3-4 inches above the bedrails to about 3-4 inched below cab line. they only need to be in that area. only 1/2 around worked fine for me when i had my single stack.

TOW RIG
4x4 extened cab.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Kinda funny since you're talking about state inspections here...I had a dream (nightmare?) last night where I got a ticket for running without a muffler in Illinois :\
1986 F250 2WD Super Cab XLT Lariat w/ 1996 front clip. Dually bed & van rearend (2" wider, allows spring clearance). 6.9 w/ approx 120,000mi. Banks non-wastegated turbo system, Wellman G088 glowplugs, Delphi BB injectors, Kenworth pyrometer, vac/boost gauge, electric water temp/oil psi/voltmeter mounted in dash. 3" Mandrel-bent open exhaust. C6 trans, 3.54 gears. Okiegringo idler pulley. R134a A/C conversion. WMO/diesel blend in one tank.
arthurgoboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

I live in pa and had no problems w/ my stacks. No muffler and my stacks go up the outside w/ no heatsheilds. like everyone says it depends on where you go to get it inspected. Just like i had a problem inspecting my jeep wrangler b/c i didnt have a battery hold down bracket.

Stereo: Kenwood 7" motorized touch screen filp out monitor, 10 disc dvd changer,sirius sat. radio,Rockford Fosgate Q component sets, 2 12" Rockford Hx2 subs, 2 Memphis amps 2000 watts total, optima deep cell batery in the bed

Outside: chrome every where, chrome running boards, bed guards, rocker pannel covers, bolt covers, wheels, 8" drop bumper in the back, custom paint, lund spoiler, sunvisor, and chrome vent guards, chrome mud flap weights, 80 gallon tank in the bed, 5th wheel hitch

Peformance mods:
custom 4" exhaust (straight pipe from the turbo back) w/ chrome stacks up the sides
(and rain caps), auto meter gauges, boost, tranny temp, and pyrometer, K&N filter in the stock air box, jasper monster box transmission, w/ braided steel lines and larger cooler.
navistardsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.