Proper starting and warm up procedure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Proper starting and warm up procedure

Hi there folks,

I've got a 1992 International 7.3L Short Bus. It's a thing of beauty. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I want to make sure I'm warming up the engine properly. I notice that after I drive a few minutes, the engine gets quieter and it starts 'whistling' if you know what I mean. Kinda like those bi-ig semis as they blow by you. The 'whistle' sorta follows the rpms.

Sometimes when I start driving, though, it doesn't 'whistle' right away and takes a mile or so.

Am I driving it away too early?
How long and at what rpm should I rev the engine before driving?
What's the best way to use the choke?

Thanks all for this great forum and any help replies. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

www.goodgrease.com
long_life_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: Proper starting and warm up procedure

[ QUOTE ]
What's the best way to use the choke?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'd like to know also. I have owned my truck now for 4 years and don't even know where the choke is let alone how to use it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Last time I changed the air filter I could not even find the carberauter. Instead I just seen this big round hole in the intake with a screen over the hole. Maybe someone stole it and thats why it makes noise when running [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
1991 Ford PL Custom Ambulance Type III 7.3L Diesel. Photo Here Pioneer AM/FM/XM/CD Stereo. Code 3 lightbar, Whelen Strobes and flasher lights. Whelen flood lights on front, rear and sides. There bright enough to turn darkness into daylight. Siren with several tones plus electronic airhorn and PA. Custom 3" exhaust from manifolds back with a Gibson Superflow Muffler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Dual alternators and dual sets of batteries. If I need a jumpstart all I do is push a button. On spot tire chains that install and de-install themselves at the flip of a switch. Also has air compressor on board along with suction unit and O2 system.

1972 Cadillac Hightop Ambulance by Superior Lucky if I get 10MPG
CompuDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Most of us here just start them and drive them. Proper starting procedure is turn the key to the on position, wait for the glow plug light to go out depress the throttle about halfway and crank as soon as it starts to light off let go of the pedal. You have to depress it all the way in below 32*F weather. Don't drive it until its's running smoothly and you have good oil pressure. The reason it sounds different after you drive it a bit is that there is an internal cold idle advance and fast idle solenoid in the injector pump. This is supposed to make the engine warm up faster when cold. The cold timing advance advances the injection tim,ing 2-3 degrees of crankshaft rotation. The fast idle solenoid bumps the idle up from 650-750 which is the normal idle to around 850-1000rpm. If you want to wait for it to wram up you could just wait the few minutes until the fast idle kicks off. Except in really cold weather it doesn't take all that long maybe 5-7 minutes. You'll notice a marked drop in RPMs when it does if it's working right.
jdkline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Last time I changed the air filter I could not even find the carberauter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a carbeurator on diesel engines.

www.goodgrease.com
Old 04-24-2005, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Last time I changed the air filter I could not even find the carberauter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a carbeurator on diesel engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

My whole post was a joke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
1991 Ford PL Custom Ambulance Type III 7.3L Diesel. Photo Here Pioneer AM/FM/XM/CD Stereo. Code 3 lightbar, Whelen Strobes and flasher lights. Whelen flood lights on front, rear and sides. There bright enough to turn darkness into daylight. Siren with several tones plus electronic airhorn and PA. Custom 3" exhaust from manifolds back with a Gibson Superflow Muffler [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Dual alternators and dual sets of batteries. If I need a jumpstart all I do is push a button. On spot tire chains that install and de-install themselves at the flip of a switch. Also has air compressor on board along with suction unit and O2 system.

1972 Cadillac Hightop Ambulance by Superior Lucky if I get 10MPG
CompuDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Don't drive it until its's running smoothly and you have good oil pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]
What would you say is good oil pressure? There's a guage I can read, which helps.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to wait for it to wram up you could just wait the few minutes until the fast idle kicks off.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that when it starts to whistle and make not sound as grindy loud? It just sounds so much smoother after the whistling and quieting clicks in.

[ QUOTE ]
Except in really cold weather it doesn't take all that long maybe 5-7 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes me remember being in a Walmart parking lot and seeing two big school bus diesels reving pretty high for a few minutes at a time. It was the middle of winter.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll notice a marked drop in RPMs when it does if it's working right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great tips, thanks!

www.goodgrease.com
Old 04-24-2005, 01:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

So you have a real gauge and not the factory idiot gauge? Yes I think IHC probably would have provided you one. Good oil pressure, 40+psi cold. You can hear that too, the engien will clatter real hard for a few seconds after you start it and will smooth out quickly if everything is right. YUou should almost immediately see the needle on the jump. As long as you don't just drive it as soon as it kicks over, eevn if you just wait a few seconds your not gonna hurt the thing. I will say everything does run a bit better if you wait till the warmup system has done its thing.
jdkline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.