The Diesel Stop banner

Which Rear Axle???

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ColLonewolf 
#1 ·
Put a different set of tires on my truck this weekend and it looks like I might have a dually axle on the back. How do you identify a dually axle? The studs on the front are 1 3/4" while the ones on the rear are 2 1/4" and there are recesses in the brake drum at the base of the studs. My lug nuts are 3" X 9/16". Any thoughts???

#2 ·
It sounds to me like it was once a duallie. I think most "Centurians" were duallies. Try this website and check the "axle code" on the drivers side door. OkieGringo CLICK HERE

#3 ·
My 94 F250 4X4 "Off Road" has the same thing, my rear studs are 2 1/4in. long and there are recesses in the brake drums, I was going to cut them short so I could fit the "right" lug nuts on without them bottoming out. This couldn't be a dauly axle could it, maybe there is another reason for this axle setup?

-Rob

#4 ·
My 95 250 studs are 2 1/4 also. I noticed that it doesn't look like you could change one with the axle in, because they would hit the backing plate before coming out. The dually axle uses 3 1/2" wide brake shoes if you want to pull the drum.

#5 ·
If it were a dually axle, the rear tires would be hanging out of the fender wells more then they should be by about 2" on each side, as the dually axle is about that much wider then a srw axle.

#6 ·
I think a lot of the Ford single wheel trucks used the mega-long studs on the back. Probably has to do with parts-sharing, why stock 2 lenths of stud when one will do?

Of there are deep indentations or recesses in the drum, those are for the early dually wheels to recess the wheel coining at the lugnut holes. That doesn't mean it is a dually axle, again it could jsut be parts sharing.

#8 ·
My front tires actually stick out more than my rear ones do by about an inch or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.