Reliability of a 7.3L with the banks turbo added 1992 F350 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2007, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reliability of a 7.3L with the banks turbo added 1992 F350

I just typed a good long post and the forum froze and lost all of my text....

so, in a nutshell, I am about to buy a 1992 Ford F350 with the Banks Sidewinder turbo. How reliable is this setup? Any issues I should know about?

The truck is a good deal, around $6k (still negotiating) what do you guys think? It has the following:

1992 Ford F350 dually- 4 door
new transmission
new tires
new glow plugs
Banks Sidewinder turbo
auto tranny banks dealy
new paint job, interior looks perfect, great condition overall

I only need the truck for towing a small trailer with my rock crawler truck on it, or my Nissan 350z to track events. So, i read that the opinion on the Banks turbo is not that high for big power, but that's not my main concern- my concern is reliability of turboing a non-turbo engine.

Do the 7.3L non-turbo and turbo engines have major differences to accomodate forced induction? Anything recommended to up reliabilty, or is it good to go as is for my towing/traveling needs?

Thanks for your imput,

TODD
350zDCalb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Reliability of a 7.3L with the banks turbo added 1992 F350

I would say that's a pretty good buy, I have the same truck, and really like it. Hopefully, the current owner didn't drive it too hard. I bought my truck with 80k on it and an ATS turbo, and it runs pretty strong. I did develope a small headgasket leak last year. Pulled the head and had small stress cracks on every piston - truck still ran great. I pulled the engine and rebuilt it with turbo-rated parts (pistons/rods). Ford didn't offer a turbo until 93 or 94 which had the beefier pistons/rods.
92 F350 XLT Crewcab dually, 225K miles ATS turbo, 4 inch exhaust, fresh IP & new matched BB injectors, Holly Red pump, K&N, E40D, 2 aux coolers, A-pillar guages, 410 limited-slip rear, Rancho 9000s, towing package, full running boards, mud flaps, 94' Ford (Alcoa) aluminum wheels, Predator camper shell, 600 watts of Sony/Boston Acoustics! Complete engine rebuild at 176k miles. Ford reman E4OD at 204k miles.
2001 Komfort 26FS
My Truck
Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.