Removing the turbo. 1993 F250 Factory IDIT - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to junkrider
Removing the turbo. 1993 F250 Factory IDIT

Hi-

I have read many of the threads regarding removing turbos from the engines but I really don't get it.

I have 1993 factory turbo IDIT. Ext cab 4x4 manual trans F250 with A/C.

I have done the following:
removed the alt, fuel filter, the inj lines, harness/gp solenoid.

I have removed the 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding the pipe that runs from the crossover and right exhaust manifold to the turbo.

I removed the bellhousing bolt that secures the other pipe to the bellhousing, and removed the clamp that holds that pipe to the turbo unit, this "other" pipe is now completely loose and free from the turbo.

I removed the center bolt on the conch-shell shaped thing in the middle of the intake manifold (one bolt center), and removed the two bolts on the bracket immediately behind that conch shaped thing. I removed the oil feed line from the block to the turbo unit.

I can rock the entire thing. I also removed much of the heat shielding, but I cant get the heat shield on the back of the pipe that runs down to the crossover, seems like it may be clamped somewhere.

Everything rocks nicely, so I'm pretty sure stuff is loose. Anyone know something I may have missed?
93 F250 IDI TD 4x4 5 speed ext cab 8' 233K Mods: Facet Duralift fuel pump @ 212K, headlight relay conversion @ 218K, custom fabricated radiator support rebuild @ 218K. rockers/lifters/pushrods @ 214K, new fuel tanks @ 233K, new front axle UJ,BJ,spindle bearings @ 233K
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
86 Mustang GT Ragtop 5 speed 250K
73 MG Midget ??K
junkrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not turbo literate, but the down pipe is in 2 pieces.. and must be separated by the firewall if I remember what I have read here.......

Cmon someone fess up and help the guy.........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnsarguy View Post
Cmon someone fess up and help the guy.........
Let me see if I can remember right. I ditched all the heat shields. Tried to save them but couldn't get them to hold their shape. I haven't replaced them and haven't noticed any problems with heat.

Quote:
I have removed the 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding the pipe that runs from the crossover and right exhaust manifold to the turbo
IIRC there are 4 studs on the turbo that have nuts on them holding the turbo assy to the "up pipe".

I had to unbolt the exhaust pipe from the DP and then take the clamp off to get the DP to come out. Look at the "tubo upgrade" pics ( link in sig)and it should give you an idea of what your working with.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 04:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

If the downpipe is the one with that round clamp that clips the lips together to the turbo, I don't think I need to remove that. The clamp is off and the pipe is free from the turbo.

So, I cant work the turbo out with the entire up pipe attached? Should I absolutely have to unbolt the turbo from the housing at the up pipe and just keep rocking that housing until it comes out of a slip joint?
93 F250 IDI TD 4x4 5 speed ext cab 8' 233K Mods: Facet Duralift fuel pump @ 212K, headlight relay conversion @ 218K, custom fabricated radiator support rebuild @ 218K. rockers/lifters/pushrods @ 214K, new fuel tanks @ 233K, new front axle UJ,BJ,spindle bearings @ 233K
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unless the factory Ford ATS version has the exhaust pipes to turbo housing attachment different than the regular ATS, which I doubt, it's self explanatory, IIRC both pipes are a slip fit and after unbolting any support brackets they slip out of the casting. If somebody assembled either pipe without lots of Never Sieze then they'll be REAL difficult to remove from the turbo casting.
On second thought after reading your latest post and checking my ATS installation papers, you may have to unbolt the exhaust inlet cast pipe from the turbo inlet. That would be the four 3/8"? bolts. It's been too long since I've had mine off, but I bet you can't snake that inlet pipe out between the head and firewall if it's attached to the turbo. The outlet slips out of the housing but the inlet has to be unbolted. Be sure to slather any bolt threads, etc. with Never Sieze when you reassemble it.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 06-22-2010 at 05:48 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I did see some other posts referencing curved box wrenches, to get four bolts off the turbo, and those must be the ones on the turbo casting that you mention. I'll pick up a set of curved wrenches after work tonight, soak those bolts with pb blaster and attempt this some more.

I'm not as mechanically incompetent as my first post implies, but I'm pretty new to diesel IDI, never worked on a turbo at all, and I really don't want to disassemble stuff that doesn't need disassembling, considering disassembling parts that are 18 years old with 200K miles unnecessarily can significantly impact the cost of the job as these parts start breaking.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll post with my results

EDIT: Also, I noticed that online manuals (autozone) and the haynes diesel manual are almost useless. Time to get a fsm.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K

Last edited by junkrider; 06-22-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: adding explanation.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

You are very welcome. If You have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask. LOTS of knowledge here and we are all eager to share.

What are you trying to accomplish by removing the turbo?
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy

Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

I likely have a collapsed lifter, based on my diagnosis, on cylinder #6. So, I'm removing the intake and valley, then will swap all 16 lifters and push rods.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrider View Post
I likely have a collapsed lifter, based on my diagnosis, on cylinder #6. So, I'm removing the intake and valley, then will swap all 16 lifters and push rods.
Yuck!! Good luck with it. FYI- if you are re-using the rockers and pushrods, I would take them out and save them as "pairs" and be sure the copper end of the push rod is installed at the right end.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

I already have all new pushrods and lifters. The price of the valley gasket was enough that I only want to do this once.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Old 06-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I already have all new pushrods and lifters. The price of the valley gasket was enough that I only want to do this once.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Chuckster,

How much does the 5th wheel you pull weigh, what sort of fuel mileage do you get while towing?

I was getting about 16.9 to 17.1 not towing, driving mixed highway (at no faster than 65mph) and backroads. 5 speed. I did see that the crappy CAI air-filter (previous owner has credit for that POS) was very dirty and have cleaned it now. Hoping to get 18-20 on highway, I don't know if its possible.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Chuckster,

How much does the 5th wheel you pull weigh, what sort of fuel mileage do you get while towing?

I was getting about 16.9 to 17.1 not towing, driving mixed highway (at no faster than 65mph) and backroads. 5 speed. I did see that the crappy CAI air-filter (previous owner has credit for that POS) was very dirty and have cleaned it now. Hoping to get 18-20 on highway, I don't know if its possible.
It weighs in at just under 9K dry. Of course I only haul enough water to flush "on the way". When I do weekenders, I don't like to keep track, as it is usually an hour to an hour and a half of UP hill pulling. I figure in tanks of fuel

On our 8500 mile road trip we averaged 10.3 MPG. trailer was hooked on abot 90 % of the time. It's NOT my DD so when I do drive it around I have "fun" probably get 12-14 MPG.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Okay I pried up gently on the bracket holding the turbo housing to the back of where the intake hat is, and the intake hat came off nicely. No damage, every thing seems fine, I was hoping that this slip joint on the up-pipe was coming apart. No such luck.

Is the slip joint the same as any exhaust pipe joint? Is there supposed to be a clamp or set-bolt holding it together? About how far down from the turbo housing should the slip joint be?

I started soaking the bolts between the compressor housing and the exhaust housing, but I'm not really sure which bolts are the desired ones to remove?

Do I need to remove the heat shielding from the uppipe?

Thanks again for any help.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

I finally bent the heat shield on the up-pipe from behind the waste-gate to expose a flange with some nuts that are readily visible (2) and maybe some more, not really sure yet. Soaked it all over with PB blaster and letting it set for the night.
92 Mazda 626 350K
04 Suburban Z71 75K
73 MG Midget ??K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.