Shift lever, can't get out of park - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wink Shift lever, can't get out of park

Hi guys, I have a problem with getting my truck out of park. It's a 94 F250 4x4 auto trans. As usual I push down brake pedal after starting and it won't shift out of park until repeated push downs and releases of the brake pedal. Would this be the safety switch gone bad? I've been told there are two, one around the brake pedal and one on the tranny somewhere. Could any of you fellows help me?

Thanks so much...Meri
94 F250 Turbo SC 4x4, Centurion Package, K&N filter, straight pipe, E4OD, 4:10
99 Mallard 27' TT
Merisangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
My son is having the same problem. we have his dash tore apart. then Last night I read it might be a brake light fuse. Putting dash back together to see if this works. Anybody eles have any Ideas?
diesel dad 96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Is the truck weight resting on the park pawl ie on a hill. I can find no reference re a requirement to press the brake to allow the trans to be shifted in the 94 truck info on Ford CD.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, it' not parked on a hill, in the garage. I have always had to depress the pedal to shift out of park. Another post under the PSD had a similar problem and was stated to be the brake switch. I haven't checked my brake lights as I am not at home until tomorrow, but I will check that out and see if my lights are working. I don't think it's a fuse since it will shift after repeated pumps on the pedal....MS
99 Mallard 27' TT
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
OK just checked 96 info....... there are 2 fuses #18 and #13...... BOO switch signals the Shift lock actuator. BOO.......Brake on off switch found on the brake pedal arm.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Problem solved...$14 brake switch save the day. Easy to install...even I can do it...saved tons of bucks
This forum is the best place to come for help and I sure appreciate all the expertise available through this site.
You guys are top notch!
99 Mallard 27' TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.