The Diesel Stop banner

Signs of a high mileage engine

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  oldrebuiltdodge 
#1 ·
Looking to buy an 89' f350 manual 4x4 crew cab dually possibly tomorrow. Im wondering what signs I could look for to show high mileage. thanks.

#2 ·
Check for excessive blow by, check for rusted radiator support, check steering, u-joints. Check glow plugs, my 87 had a worse setup than my 84 and it was always harder to start. See if the water separator is bypassed (firewall, driver's side) probably is by now they start leaking and sucking air around 100k. Check clutch for slipping, trans shifting smooth. Check front axle u-joints, check for leaks, etc.
You figure around 100k is when the steering parts, and the other planned obsolescence parts are wearing out. Also check the color of the brake fluid, should be mostly clear, it's something often overlooked and should be flushed and bled, usually around 100-150k. Make sure the vacuum pump is working, pull the hose at the brake booster maybe.
When the odo only goes to 100k not much to do but go over it as good as possible. Good luck :thumbsup:

#4 ·
On the "89, the water separator is on the base of the fuel filter. Look at the 1/10th roller on the odometer. It will move a little away from the rest of the rollers when it gets close to 100,000 miles. I watched it do that on my '89 seven times. It didn't make it to eight times, so I don't know how long it will go.

#5 ·
What year did they move the water separator? Both my 84 & 87 were in the same place. Did they change the design too I hope?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.