Spicer Tranny--5 spd - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Spicer Tranny--5 spd

Question regarding this Spicer 5spd manual trans----On the pssgr side of the tranny there is a lable saying to use SAE 50 wt oil in the tranny. Seems no one carries 50wt non detergent around here----will regular gear lube (80wt) be ok? This tranny is in an International 26' box truck with 7.3 diesel.

Also, has anyone in here actually worked on one? Very hard to replace the rear seals in it?

Thanks.
Studebaker60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Are you sure it said 50wt oil or just 50 wt? I have all the spicer lube specs here. what year and box do you have? Most likely it will take a 50 wt ATF
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

RLDSL-----Thanks for replying. There is a big white sticker beside the fill plug that says "Use SAE 50 wt". So, I thought it meant 50 wt non-detergent motor oil. Do they make a 50 wt Auto Trans Fluid? This Spicer says "5652B" on the side (the cast was a bit unclear, so these numbers may be off a bit). It also had the numbers "C40-518-2". This is a 5 spd installed behind a 7.3 Inter. Was originally a Uhaul truck before I bought it. The tranny was a remanufactured one installed in 05. You have all the Spicer Lube specs......does this info. now point to the right type of lube for her?

Also, she is leaking from the rear tranny seal......about how many hours do you think a shop would take to put a new rear seal/gasket in and top her off with the "correct" fluid?

Many thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker60 View Post
RLDSL-----Thanks for replying. There is a big white sticker beside the fill plug that says "Use SAE 50 wt". So, I thought it meant 50 wt non-detergent motor oil. Do they make a 50 wt Auto Trans Fluid? This Spicer says "5652B" on the side (the cast was a bit unclear, so these numbers may be off a bit). It also had the numbers "C40-518-2". This is a 5 spd installed behind a 7.3 Inter. Was originally a Uhaul truck before I bought it. The tranny was a remanufactured one installed in 05. You have all the Spicer Lube specs......does this info. now point to the right type of lube for her?

Also, she is leaking from the rear tranny seal......about how many hours do you think a shop would take to put a new rear seal/gasket in and top her off with the "correct" fluid?

Many thanks.

That tranny takes 13pints , the spec would call for at the time of manufacture 50 wt non detergent oil, but good luck finding a straight 50 wt non detergent. Multi grades are a no no, as are gear oils , which is why most of the big trucks are filling with 50 wt synthetic atf
*however* 50 is not the only spec.. here is where the waters muddy a bit, , that is just the main one on your casing, the full spicer spec actually calls for all above 0 deg can be either SAE 50, 40 or 30 api class MS, DG, DM orDS ( all REAL old classifications that have not been in use for years) Since most lube manufacturers have discontinued making straight 50wt non detergent oil , and the trannys perform better with a synthetic 50 wt atf,, that is what most have gone to that service the heavy market , The current spec would be the Rockwell/Eaton/Fuller CD-50 (PS-081)
30 wt is acceptable, but some older Spicer boxes can have quite a bit of rollover noise with 30 wt, even synthetic. I run the Amsoil 30 wt ATF in both my boxes, My zf5 main box likes it a lot, but my 5831 3 speed spicer brownie has a bit of rollover noise and I'm going to switch it to the 50 wt ATF Amsoil when I have a few extra bucks ( I sell that stuff so don't consider it an unbiased opinion , but I always try to shoot folks straight)
Now here's where it gets more interesting: Below 0 deg the thing calls for 30 wt, so if you are in a climate where it regularly gets below 0 in the winter, then your best bet is going to be to go with the 30 wt synthetic ATF

You will see there are a number of companies that service the big truck market aside from Amsoil that make synthetic 50 wt atf here

Same outfits also make 30 wt versions. Regular ATF is 20 wt

Another reason to run a synthetic is that if you do not , you are stuck with a 20,000 mile change interval on your transmission oil, which gets old quick. I don't know about the other brands, but the Amsoil CTL 50 wt is good for 250,000 miles or 2 years in cd-50 manual transmission applications. Im not sure what the drain intervals are on the other brands but they should all be extended to some extent .

As far as changing out a rear seal on that thing, a GOOD mechanic should be able to do it in well under 2 hours start to finish( more like half of that). It's not difficult if you want to do it yourself , a spicr tailsection is a great one to start on. You can get that seal at any parts store by the seal number and the gasket can be bought at any heavy truck driveline supply

If you would like a copy of the repair manual for that tranny , PM me your email address and I'll scan it off for you
'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed. My Gallery
RLDSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 06:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

RLDSL.....Thanks immensely for all that great information! Now I know what fluid to put in her......will go with the 50wt syn. ATF. Drain out the 80 wt gear oil (which I better do on a warm day, otherwise it will only drip out like molassas in January).....ummm, maybe molassas would have been a better choice over the 80 wt gear oil, and maybe 3rd and 4th gears have a "sweet tooth". Ha ha.

Sure, a scan of the tranny repair manual would be good so I can see exactly what steps to take to put in the new seal/gasket.....will PM you. Already have the seal/gasket on order.

Again, thanks for the excellent info.....I will print off and keep in the truck records for future reference. Hopefully the tranny will be repaired soon.....Until then, drip, drip, drip.....have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.