supercharger 6-71 on a 6.9? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
supercharger 6-71 on a 6.9?

Just wondering if anybody has played with the idea of installing a
6-71 or similar supercharger/blower on a 7.3 or 6.9? if so, could you please tell me power gains and/or problems
HondaCowboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Re: supercharger 6-71 on a 6.9?

It's probably been done, but I've never heard of it here.
It wouldn't be practical, especially for a daily driver.
The main problem with that setup would be low efficiency. With a mechanical supercharger, you don't have a method of varying the boost according to the load on the engine. At any given rpm, you would have a set amount of boost (and parasitic power loss), regardless of load on the engine. That would not be conducive to good fuel economy.
The beauty of a turbocharger is that it develops boost according to the load on the engine.
I'm not saying this to rain on your parade. I actually considered a mechanically driven supercharger for my 7.3 until I realized that the negatives outweighed the positives. (AND the fact that bolt-on turbo kits are readily available.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
"Big Red"-'89 F-250 4X4 reg cab; 7.3; Cat ELC (no problems, ain't skeered ; 4.10 axles; 5-speed ZF "Bolt-Action"; ATS turbo installed @ 158K; Holley "Red" pump; new injectors and 2nd Reman IP@ 234.5K; "Coffee Can" (4") downpipe-back exhaust....
6220#

"Trick Truck"- 1970 F-350 w/custom utility bed and cabover camper; Cadillac leather seat; CAT 3208 w/turbo from CAT 613 scraper; 5" straight pipe; 6-speed Allison "slush box"; 3-speed "Brownie"; 2-speed Eaton rear axle from F-600; Custom rear deck w/ air compressor, Lincoln arc welder, Oxy-Acetylene rig, and boom crane....
17,940# 26' Class C motorhome

"White Pony"- 2007 Mustang; 4 liter V6; "5-shot bolt action" (an automatic in a Mustang is just WRONG!)
Dave Haven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

A supercharger on a diesel is best for engines that see a constant load, like in a boat or even a generator or pump. Detroit diesels had them because they were 2 stroke's, but for everyday driving it would probably negat the benefits. Now if you installed 1 small supercharger and a turbo(like VOLVO) you would have o.k. efficiency and unbelievable throttle response. Just my opinion.
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Somebody posted a picture of one on ebay once but as I recall it was all for show. If you are dead set on it go for it but the efficiency will be ruined and it won't be reliable.

Birken
Birken Vogt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Question.... If a screw type supercharger with bypass valve was used.... Under braking or no throttle the "whipple would not stuff the engine with that extra air, only when you pressed the pedal would the valve close and boost be brought back up... RIGHT?

The hardest part about that is getting enough fuel for max throttle...... without having too much fuel at low idling rpm.
jasonrdemars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Question.... If a screw type supercharger with bypass valve was used.... Under braking or no throttle the "whipple would not stuff the engine with that extra air, only when you pressed the pedal would the valve close and boost be brought back up... RIGHT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not all that familiar with screw type air compressors, however they are gaining popularity in industrial settings I think, but I believe they still run much more efficient at constant load than variable.

[ QUOTE ]
The hardest part about that is getting enough fuel for max throttle...... without having too much fuel at low idling rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the injection pump varies the amount of fuel as much or as little as you want. I now know that if you want even more fuel you can add two pumps.

Birken
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably been done, but I've never heard of it here.
It wouldn't be practical, especially for a daily driver.
The main problem with that setup would be low efficiency. With a mechanical supercharger, you don't have a method of varying the boost according to the load on the engine. At any given rpm, you would have a set amount of boost (and parasitic power loss), regardless of load on the engine. That would not be conducive to good fuel economy.
The beauty of a turbocharger is that it develops boost according to the load on the engine.
I'm not saying this to rain on your parade. I actually considered a mechanically driven supercharger for my 7.3 until I realized that the negatives outweighed the positives. (AND the fact that bolt-on turbo kits are readily available.) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the RPM of the engine combined with the pulley ratio will determine how much boost is generated throughout the RPM curve. Problem with a diesel is we have low RPMs and most superchargers are built of higher RPM'ed gas motors. You would need a big pulley to get #10 of boost at 3400 RPMs.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via MSN to asauer Send a message via Skype™ to asauer

Don't you mean a SMALL pulley? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
1994 Ford F250 4x4: 7.3L IDI factory turbo, supercab longbed, E4OD *DEAD*. ZF5 swap,Dana 60 swap, GM 14 bolt rear w/ 4.10s, 4" exhaust from stock downpipe back to a 5" stack, IP maxed=1100 degrees max pulling uphill, "modified" wastegate=11psi max,99+ F450SD cab/chassis leaf springs in rear
--motor/trans sold--

2000 VW Jetta TDI = 48+mpg

Member of Indiana Air National Guard 122FW MXS
asauer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

How bout big on bottom, small on top,...........that'd Git_R_Done! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
...Actually the RPM of the engine ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The superchargers I'm familiar with make boost essentially independent of RPM -- that's the whole idea. It's a positive-displacement pump that turns when the engine turns. It essentially makes the engine pump as much air as a much larger engine, but it does it all the time, not just when you're on the skinny pedal.
'02 F350 4x4 CC, PSD, VDH2 PCM, SCT Xcal2 (DPTuner 60t, 80e, 100p), AIS Severe Duty intake, Walker BTM (55kmi), 3.73 SRW, 6" Pro-comp lift, Dynatrac Free-Spin Kit (65kmi), Toyo MT 315/75-16 (64kmi), C-BETR Mirrors, rebuilt Motorcraft 4R100 (43kmi), new CPS (46kmi), 6.0 CAC, 6.0 Tranny cooler, 88kmi
ADStryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
... I now know that if you want even more fuel you can add two pumps...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to have a mechanically-injected engine that makes upwards of 400 rwhp.

What's the story on dual injection pumps?
'02 F350 4x4 CC, PSD, VDH2 PCM, SCT Xcal2 (DPTuner 60t, 80e, 100p), AIS Severe Duty intake, Walker BTM (55kmi), 3.73 SRW, 6" Pro-comp lift, Dynatrac Free-Spin Kit (65kmi), Toyo MT 315/75-16 (64kmi), C-BETR Mirrors, rebuilt Motorcraft 4R100 (43kmi), new CPS (46kmi), 6.0 CAC, 6.0 Tranny cooler, 88kmi
ADStryker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

He means dual injection SUPPLY pumps. (i.e. 2 lift pumps, or Holley red pumps.)

Shawn

tractors:
706,806,1206,1256,5288,7140mfd.

vehicles:
-1985 Ford F250 reg. cab,blue w/ extra clearance lights,4x4,T19 4 gear,3.55's,Banks sidewinder w/ K&N, 3.5" straight pipe, 2 gauge pillar, and 3 below dash. Pioneer cd player & a pair of 12" RocFos subs shoved behind seat. Old school tuned Midland 23 channel CB w/ PA and 13 foot whip antenna, Solara DSC marine-band and 4 foot midland antenna hooked too a Delta diamond plate tool box, Aluminum rims,hide-a-ball, RoadMaster drop rear bumper,air gate, and stainless stick on's on the bottom body line.
-93 Ford F250 7.3L IDI Turbo Diesel, ATS upgrades, 4" exhaust and 5" stainless tip, 5 speed, 4wd, 3.55's, maroon on silver, American Racing rims, custom built air gate, DMI rear bumper, extra clearance lights.
-61 Ford Falcon Futura, 289HIPO, T10 4 speed, 9" rear w/ cleveland locker and 3.55's, linelok, Granada front discs.

Mosin Nagant's, K98's, K-31's, Enfields, AK's, and SKS's.
twelve0six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

No I mean dual injection pumps. Not long ago on this board somebody posted to a link of a 6.5 tractor puller who had two IPs plumbed together.

Definitely not easy, and probably not reliable, but I'm sure the power is good.

Birken
Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just a question, but were both pumps for fuel? I only ask because a tractor puller friend of mine uses dual injector pumps, but one is for fuel while the other is for pressure injecting water.

I saw a truck in 4Wheel&Off-Road magazine that was a 6.9 with a 6-71 blower. It was just a reader's rides bit, but perhaps you could chase him down via the reader's rides section of the website. Just a thought.

Jeremy
'92 F-350 7.3 IDI ATS Turbo, 4x4, 4-door, ZF-5, 3.73, turned up pump, ISSPRO gauges, 6" I-beam bumpers, 35" Buckshot Mudders, custom 4" straight exhaust
'89 Bronco - future 7.3 conversion
faz_fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes two injection pumps both injecting fuel at the same time, he showed how he could shut each of them off and the engine still ran.

I think that readers ride you saw actually was just for looks, I have heard reference to that before and it apparently does not make any boost, or it might even be just a shell.

Birken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.