Supercharger Installation????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Supercharger Installation?????

Hi Guy's.
I want to thank you all for the help recently. I was wondering. When I worked on the big tractors, the old Detroit 8 cyl. oil dumper used a 4-53 blower. What are your thoughts on having one installed or one even larger like the 6-71's. I always like to be different and since I have the knowledge on fabing, making an adapter for the intake would not be too difficult. Also, since the 7.3idi does not have any type of air regulating units like a throttle body or of course a carb, would it make since to try or can the old 7.3 even handle the amount of air it can introduce into the engine. The old Detroit is almost in the same realm of Cubic In as the 7.3 so that might help too. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Uncle Mater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
or can the old 7.3 even handle the amount of air it can introduce into the engine.
They don't put out that much air. Without digging out my Detroit spec manual, the Detroit blowers only put out 4-6psi. at the air boxes. Even if you could manage to adapt it and still shut the hood, a blower has static output regardless of power demand versus a turbocharger. As you know, they're gear drive, so you'd have the problem of adapting it to a belt drive like the dragster guys do. If I remember right, there's large open ports in the bottom of the rotor end plates for oil to drain back from the 4 rotor bearings. You'd have to somehow close them off and figure a drainback system.
A blower's required on the Detroits to deliver air to the cylinders through the cylinder liner ports because they're two cycle engines, it's not there as a major power booster like a turbo. That's why in later years the 8V92s, etc, have a turbo perched on top of the blower.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-06-2009 at 09:15 AM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its just as posted above. Really lots of work for little if any hp gains. There was a 6.9 on Ebay last year with a BDS blower on it. I live 3 miles from BDS so I went in and talked with them about it. I had pictures of it. Their engineers told me they had nothing to do with that system. They didn't design or install it. I asked them about designing an intake manifold. They told me sure they could but.... The cost for one was around $18,000.00 to $20,000.00. That would get cheaper if more were made... That didn't include the drive system either.... So, there you have it. How many you want... I got connections....
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
icanfixall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was told that the lower ends of the 6.9 and 7.3's were not made for turbos. 4 Wheel drive magazine put a banks turbo on a 92 and the lower end only held up for about 70,000 miles.
alignmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think you might have read some wrong information. Myself, I put my turbo kit on at 30,000 miles and now at 239,000 miles I've never needed to do any major engine work. The only time I had the valve covers off was to retorque the heads when I installed the turbo. Other guys have had turbos on for years too with no problemo.
You definitely got to pick and chose what you want to believe on the internet. A while back an "expert" told a fairly inexperienced guy he needed to tear the front cover off his engine to retrieve a dropped bolt or nut on the timing gears---about a two day fairly major pain-in-the-butt job. Thankfully the guy ignored that and even before anyone else could suggest it, he had the nut fished out with the right size magnet.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

It would be a pretty interesting install to see someone put a cetrifugal supercharger (powerdyne, paxton, vortec, etc..) on one of these engines. It would let you get all the benefits of forced induction without the crazy exhaust routing it requires to turbocharge these engines and it would keep the heat from the exhaust going out the back instead of coming up on top the engine.
I did a remote mount turbo on my 7.3l, the turbo is down beside the transfer case, I will let you know how it works out here in a day or so when it finally stops raining so I can install the starter and crank it up.
6.0f250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

eBay Motors: Racing Electric Supercharger - Boost Turbo Nitrous HP (item 330298268409 end time Jan-09-09 17:10:20 PST)

how about 2 of these...maybe? lol im thinking of it
Old 01-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

You're kidding right? It's just a squirrel cage heater blower motor that wouldn't be able to keep up with the engine's normal air requirement let alone add boost to it. I bet they make the Best Seller list along with one of our old favorites---Air Tabs.
It should work about like this fuel mileage improver that a guy posted about on another site,
Quote:
I had a guy tell me about the magnetic dodad he installed in his 4runner to line up the fuel IONS for better fuel atomization,and how his mileage improved 3-4mpg, then I showed him he had installed it on the brake booster vacuum line.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-06-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Send a message via AIM to 7.3L F-250
another reason that they use turbos insted of superchargers is because a diesel engine (exspeacially these idi's) dont have enough RPM's to make adaquite boost with a supercharger
1989 ford F-350 7.3L idi pick up

CURRENT PROJECTS
1978 ford F-350 custom
7.3L F-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
You're kidding right? It's just a squirrel cage heater blower motor that wouldn't be able to keep up with the engine's normal air requirement let alone add boost to it. I bet they make the Best Seller list along with one of our old favorites---Air Tabs.
It should work about like this fuel mileage improver that a guy posted about on another site,
no im not kidding, i thought it would work.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Electric turbocharger..... I wonder what got all those owners of the pics to bite... I really admire someone that can sell ice cubes to eskimos... I couldn't sell a guy dieing of thirst a glass of water.....
89 7.3 crewcab w/ Banks Sidewinder Wastegated Turbo. 4 inch straight piped. BTS E4OD trans with 2 extra gallons of ATF in a Mag Hy-Tec pan. Gear Vendors. Rodney Red custom aluminum radiator. Moose Pump with "G' injectors. Motor rebuilt with new after market ported heads. Mahle low comp pistons milled 12 thousands. Balanced to 1/4 to 1/3 gram. Lined bored. Block decked and sleeved on all 8. Shimed oil pump for higher pressure. Intake and exhaust logs ported too. Hypermax in shop waiting to be installed later....
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
Electric turbocharger..... I wonder what got all those owners of the pics to bite... I really admire someone that can sell ice cubes to eskimos... I couldn't sell a guy dieing of thirst a glass of water.....

i mean why wouldnt it work? maybe not the exact one i showed you, there are some more powerfull.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3L F-250 View Post
another reason that they use turbos insted of superchargers is because a diesel engine (exspeacially these idi's) dont have enough RPM's to make adaquite boost with a supercharger

You can make boost at whatever RPM you want to with a belt driven supercharger, you just have to change the pulley sizes to match your needs.
6.0f250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

4-53 Detroit Blower Install???????

Thanks guys for the help.
I am interested in this mod mainly because if I overdrive the unit or units correctly, it should have a quite a bit more psi the what a stock unit has. The hood would be cut and a scoop would be added. With the 6-71 blower, you can purchase one for about 450.00 bucks that is in good condition. With a few hours drawing plans it should be a fun time. With the 6-71 blowers that you normally see up for sale, they normally have the sealed bearings put in so that it can bolt up to a gas engine. Then the side tabs that run along the length are cut off. All in all, I do not know if I will go with at paxton style or the larger more classic look of the detroit blowers. If interested, I will keep you posted. Take care Guys'.
Uncle Mater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

The belt drive and intake manifold will be the most interesting part of the design and probably the most difficult part of the complete project. I'm interested in the job so keep us posted please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.