Torque screw? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque screw?

is it located under a plastic cap from the factory? I wanted to make sure mine is adjusted properly for the turbo, and where its supposed to be is a plastic cap that i dont wanna break off if i dont have to. also i suppose if thats it, then the cao being there tells me its still adjusted for na. its a 93 btw so it should have it
93 F250 ext cab 4x4, 7.3 5 speed, Banks Sidewinder, straight piped (I've actually seen people look up when I pass to find the low flying jet ) 2 tone beige (fugly) I dont worry about how much weight my truck will pull, I worry about how much it'll stop.
jacksonguitars4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

There should be 2 plastic caps. The torque screw is under the larger one towards the drivers side- sticks out at an angle. The smaller horizontal one in the center is the guide stud. The correct adjustment of the torque screw for a turbocharged engine is backed out of play. There should be at least 1/4" of screw visible above the jam nut. On N/A pumps the torque screw is usually just below flush.
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

yep that was the one. it used to be na, and it was never adjusted, so now i got a 1/4 in sticking out. cant tell a difference but makes me feel better knowing its adjusted properly
93 F250 ext cab 4x4, 7.3 5 speed, Banks Sidewinder, straight piped (I've actually seen people look up when I pass to find the low flying jet ) 2 tone beige (fugly) I dont worry about how much weight my truck will pull, I worry about how much it'll stop.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

does this screw adjustment actually give u more power on the bottom rpm rage or more throttle response like taking off a puff limiter on a old mack?
What was its intended purpose from the factory
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

The torque screw cuts the max fuel back a bit at about 3100 rpm to reduce black smoke. When adjusted properly it has no affect below 3000 rpm. Of course it is not needed on a turbocharged engine.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

mine does smoke a little on the top end maybe the last owner messed with it. Truck runs great otherwise
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbuddy View Post
mine does smoke a little on the top end maybe the last owner messed with it.
No doubt, screwing the torque screw all the way in or whatever "for more power" has been passed around IDI forums for years by those who don't know jack poop about a IP rather than take advice from someone who works on'em for a living like Evel486.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 12-10-2012 at 05:56 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

The "Torque Screw" is just a metering valve limiter and it does cut fuel at ALL RPM's WOT... At partial throttle, Depending on where its set, it could limit fuel... The Idea is to limit particulate emissions under heavy load situations, without limiting total max fuel capability, thats why it was utilized. It basically puts more of an RPM bias to the fueling, instead of a throttle bias...

Backing the torque screw out is simply the same setting as an earlier non-torque screw pump...
RacinNdrummin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin View Post
The "Torque Screw" is just a metering valve limiter and it does cut fuel at ALL RPM's WOT... At partial throttle, Depending on where its set, it could limit fuel... The Idea is to limit particulate emissions under heavy load situations, without limiting total max fuel capability, thats why it was utilized. It basically puts more of an RPM bias to the fueling, instead of a throttle bias...

Backing the torque screw out is simply the same setting as an earlier non-torque screw pump...

Exactly Right.
NMB2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Xeonpony
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
No doubt, screwing the torque screw all the way in or whatever "for more power" has been passed around IDI forums for years by those who don't know jack poop about a IP rather than take advice from someone who works on'em for a living like Evel486.

Well didn't you know? It is a rule on all engines, if there is a screw and you screw it in it "ALL" ways gives more power!

Some people you can't get the common sense in even if you use the engine to push it in by liberal aplications over their heads, seems to apply to electronices as well, trying to fix a board where they figured turning every pot to full right hand would some how make it work better <_<
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
Xeonpony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is there any good pictures on here of a pump and all its parts labeled? I think i found mine, its in the back of the pump and backd out a little
Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

tanbuddy there is a vid on youtube describing the procedure

I can tell absolutely no difference. But some trucks may be different than others
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just watched that vid- that guy has no idea what he is doing. The adjustment he did will do absolutely nothing- that is a turbo application and the torque screw is already out of play. The screw has to be about flush with the jam nut to start working.
The torque screw is an emissions thing and was only used on 1992 1/2-94 natural aspirated engines. In most cases backing the screw out will make very little noticeable difference- perhaps a bit of haze under heavy load at higher rpm's. It will NOT increase hp.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel486 View Post
I just watched that vid- that guy has no idea what he is doing. The adjustment he did will do absolutely nothing- that is a turbo application and the torque screw is already out of play. The screw has to be about flush with the jam nut to start working.
The torque screw is an emissions thing and was only used on 1992 1/2-94 natural aspirated engines. In most cases backing the screw out will make very little noticeable difference- perhaps a bit of haze under heavy load at higher rpm's. It will NOT increase hp.
This is right on. The screw must be flush to have any result, and the result is less high load particulate matter... With the max fuel screw backed off as it is on a stock pump, backing the TS out will result in very little, however, the further you crank the max fuel screw, the more of a factor the TS becomes... Though not as much as it gets credit for. On DB2's, the metering valve isnt much of a limiter, so even with full plunger travel, the TS doesnt have much effect... It was just a way to externally adjust particulate matter emissions, while still retaining the max fueling setting...
RacinNdrummin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel486 View Post
That's pretty much the "advice" that's flooded different forums that I was referring to. As someone stated years ago on a gun forum, anyone who takes advice without knowing the advisor's qualifications and experience is a fool. IMO, it's worse than asking a complete stranger on a street corner, at least there you can get a visual. When it comes to pump advice for me, it would be from you or a phone call to the local pump shop.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 12-12-2012 at 01:44 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.