transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!!

al-righty then. I can get my transfer case to shift into 4low ONLY. BUT when I do I cannot go anywhere. With the engine running it is as if I have the clutch engaged. I can go through all my gears without even depressing the clutch.

When I put the transfer case back into neutral then I regain transmission control.

I CAN NOT put the transfer case into 2H OR 4H AT ALL! Bummer dude.

The linkage seems to be ok since I can put it into 4Low but, remember, when I do I cannot move the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!!-detent-bracketnotes.jpg   transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!!-4lownotes.jpg   transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!!-neutralnotes.jpg   transfer case issues WITH PICTURES!!!!-shifter-barnotes.jpg  

1992 f250 4x4 7.3 diesel 270,000 miles DANA 60 king pin front axle with manual locking warn hubs.
Wear Ear Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
Have you done any work on it or did this JUST happen.........

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

It has always been like this since I have had the truck. I have owned the truck for 1 year and 3 months.

Before I had the clutch replaced I could engage the four wheel low but never the 2H or 4H. Also, before the clutch replacement, 4Low DID work with the transmission functionality but, it was hard to get it to go into 4x4.

would something inside the t-case be hindering me from putting this into 4x4.

I just found out the kid I bought this from bought this transfer case from some 4x4 place refurbished. So it most likely has been over hauled but, I can't say that for certain. You know what happens when you assume things......

....you make assumptions.....

1992 f250 4x4 7.3 diesel 270,000 miles DANA 60 king pin front axle with manual locking warn hubs.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)
There are different holes for the linkages........ maybe they are in the wrong place or slipped out.....

Click on my name......PM me your email addy and I will forward the BW 1356 TC manual to you ASAP..... Use SUBJECT: BW1356

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok i have played with the linkage all day. Nothing is happening. I am just going to have to removethe t-case and inspect. What's the easiest way to remove the t-case for the home mechanic?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Unhappy

follow up. I just got 4 low to engage. While I was backing up I thought I would try to put 4x4 into 4LOW. As I was moving it engaged! But If the transmission is in neutral ( I have a 5 speed) and clutch engaged 4 LOW makes the entire transmission un-functional.

What gives?

I don't know where to start trouble shooting.

I found out the t-case was put in by some local professional mechanics in february 2007. I bought the truck in July 2007. I have never messed with the 4x4 because the passenger side axle is broke. But since I am performing a dana 60 swap I am now finding out the t-case is doing weird stuff.

Can someone explain what happens with the forks in the case? How does the transfer case work? And how does it interfere with normal operation???

SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Before you do major surgery, you might check your external egagement versus internal first especially since someone has changed or overhauled the case. I'm not saying this is your problem just because it was in my case, but my detent plate didn't match my internal engagement in different ranges although I bought my '91 brand new and everything was factory original. The notches in the plate didn't coincide with shift rail engagement in the case. In other words, when I slid the lever fully into the 4X4H slot in the external detent plate, the transfer case was only 1/2 or less from being fully engaged in 4X4H in the gear box so mine was intermittently jumping out of 4X4H when new. Can't tell by your photos if your linkage is the same. The lever shift plate is non-adjustable and when I dropped by a high volume 4x4 shop and asked if he'd ever run into this, his only comment was, with Ford nothing surprises me.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 01-31-2009 at 05:57 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Before you do major surgery, you might check your external egagement versus internal first especially since someone has changed or overhauled the case. I'm not saying this is your problem just because it was in my case, but my detent plate didn't match my internal engagement in different ranges although I bought my '91 brand new and everything was factory original. The notches in the plate didn't coincide with shift rail engagement in the case. In other words, when I slid the lever fully into the 4X4H slot in the external detent plate, the transfer case was only 1/2 or less from being fully engaged in 4X4H in the gear box so mine was intermittently jumping out of 4X4H when new. Can't tell by your photos if your linkage is the same. The lever shift plate is non-adjustable and when I dropped by a high volume 4x4 shop and asked if he'd ever run into this, his only comment was, with Ford nothing surprises me.

I THINK THIS IS EXACTLY MY PROBLEM!!!!

Ok check it out...

My dentent plate and my shifter are sitting at what is supposed to be nuetral. BUT the t-case is in 2 wheel high. When I shift into what I think is 4Low it is actually 4 HIGH. so Do I just take off the linkage and put the shifter into 2wheel high and then recconect my linkage?

What is the difference between 2Wheel high and neutral????

ALSO...How do I remove the linkage? It's not a bolt and nut. Does it just pop off???

Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Oh man, you're asking a lot from my memory bank. I must have fixed mine in about Nov. of '91 because I bought the truck in Sept.'91. After re-studying your pics, I think mine is the same. Seems to me the linkage is held on with some goofy plastic retainers that you have to push, pull, or whatever in the right place to release them.

I just drug out my shop manual and it shows the detent plate has two options for positioning it---three bolt holes. According to the manual pic, either of the two rear bolt holes are used depending on your transmission. The shop manual says use the rearmost hole (hole #1 in your manual pic) with AOD automatic, ZFLD manual, and Mazda manual. The hole forward of that one is used with C6 and E4OD automatic, ZFHD manual, and T18 manual. Hopefully someone has taken yours off and reinstalled it in the wrong hole, but in my case, neither rear holes would allow full engagement in 4wd hi or 4wd lo, I can't remember which. In any event, I ended up pulling whatever was needed, made sure the transfer case was in the range it was poping out of, then lined up the detent plate, marked it, then filed the notch deeper as required to allow full engagement. Hope this helps.

On Edit: One problem I see is the plate in my '91 manual is shaped just a little differently than the one in your manual pic, but sometimes Ford just uses a basic drawing.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up

ok, so check this out!

I found out that for sure my linkage was messed up. When the shifter was in neutral the t-case was in 2 wheel high. When I put the shifter in 4 low the t-case was actually in 4 wheel high. When it was in 4 wheel high it was barley in gear. That's why it would act like the transmission was in neutral.

Here's what I did to fix it:

I removed the entire shifter assembly and the sifter bar that connects the shifter to the t-case shifter arm.
Then I made sure the shifter was in good working order.
I then reinstalled the shifter back onto the transmission.
With the shifter in the 2 wheel high position, I made sure the shifter arm on the t-case was straight up(2 wheel high).

There is a small stud on the shifter and the t-case arm. They are about 3/8" in diameter. I made a measurement from the centers of those while BOTH where in 2 wheel high. Then I drilled a hole where it should have been connected. WORKS NOW!

I guess the previous owner had the wrong shifter linkage put in.

Oh well, it was an easy fix and I didn't even have to crack open the t-case.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Excellent! That is what we all like to see.

Thanks, JASTECH

1980's F250 Cab w/doors, Dash, New Pw/Brk Booster,
sanded and primered Grey [B]For Sale BO

1973 International Scout II
Chevy 350 30over, 4-Bolt main, SS Valves, MSD Ignition, Comp 9000 Dist, Edelbrock Manifold/
Carb,
4" Suspension & 3" Body Lift, Dana Front/Rear/TC, TH400 w/Stage 2 kit, 33x12.5x15 BigO Mud tires.

1973 Jeep CJ5 (Project)
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Found this thread while searching for info, but my truck is stuck in 4 low and its not the linkage holding it up be cause of the fact that there is no linkage connecting my shifter to my tcase. the back story is i fired up my truck to get to class, nice morning didn't need 4x4 well as im going i heard a grinding noise as i pulled to a stop, i though i didnt have the gear engaged fully seeing as I have a manual. All is fine and dandy untill the next stop when i hear a grinding again and my truck wouldn't move as well, though that it was odd then about a mile or 2 down the road my tcase slips into neutral, ok no big deal ill plop it back in gear well i chose 4x4 low unknowingly and my truck has been stuck in 4x4 low since then and its been pissing me off.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.