The Diesel Stop banner

Trouble finding right trans cooler hose size

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LMJD 
#1 ·
I have had trouble finding a hose that will fit both the steel cooler line and an auxiliary trans cooler. Anyone know the size?
Also, small hose clamps for that line are of low quality and strip - I've looked for better clamps but everything seems to be made in China these days.

1993 F-250

#2 ·
Have you measured either nipple?

Shop Amazon, eBay, NAPA, CarQuest, Parts+Plus, All-Pro, and other professional-level parts stores for clamps made in USA, like Ideal/Tridon, Breeze, & CCC.

#3 ·
Another forum provided the information I was looking for on the size of the hose and brand of clamps - that's what I was looking for. Naturally, I measured the diameter initially - but what I was hoping for was actual experience with success.

#4 · (Edited)
You should be going to the radiator from the trans., then out of the radiator to the aux cooler. If your stripping the gear clamps, your tightening them to tight, just enough so they don't sink into the hose. If your using hose that didn't come with the cooler, make sure it's hydraulic oil compatible.

The hose fittings should be barbed or bubble flared and the hose should fit tight on them. There is very low pressure in the oil lines.

#5 ·
When I had the transmission rebuilt in 2004 the shop bypassed the radiator cooler and used an auxiliary cooler. Since then I installed a second auxiliary cooler. I'll have to check to see if the steel lines have barbs.
Thanks!

#6 ·
If you get the right push-on (Push Lock) hose and the correct compatible 3 barb fittings you don't need clamps, and the hose is good for 200-300PSI. Hose is measured by I.D., steel tubing by O.D.----always.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.