truck wont start after sitting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck wont start after sitting

91 7.3 non turbo. Truck wont start after sitting for more than 6-8 hours. Has to have a shot of ether. Brand new motorcraft gps, voltage at the gps, relay is clicking, fresh alt. I am using jumper cables from my cummins dodge to get enough power. I can crank all day, and nothing happens.

Where should i go next.
bigwhitehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 03:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Does if fire once then die and won't fire again? Or dies it NOT fire at all after sitting?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

it does not fire at all. runs fine once it has been run for a little while.
bigwhitehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (30)
Sounds like an air/fuel leak. All that cranking will eventually bleed the air out of the fuel system and it will run. Once you park it for a while.....air leaks back in and you have the same problem.

The most common site for air/fuel leaks tends to be the injector fuel return caps/lines. However, a fuel leak can occur anywhere in the system.

Heath
1986 F250HD 4x4 7.3L IDI '95 PSD front clip, '97 bed, T19, D60/10.25 with 3.55's. Rebuilt from the frame up. Banks Turbo, DPS IP & Stage 1's, Isspro TTM, Banks Exhaust, Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Precharged Coolant Filter, Holley Red Pump. 16.5 x 37 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler's, Air Horns. 6in lift, Fresh Paint, On-board Air. Revamped Interior. Rhino Liner.

1983 F250 4x4 5.0L with C6. 340,000+ miles.

7.3 Project Pictures
Webshots Project 7.3 Gallery

hesutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Air in the fuel will usually give you an immediate fire and then die. Any visible leaks around the return lines?

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

stick a clear piece of tubing from the top of your IP to the return line. That will let you see if you have air in your lines or not. I don't think thats your prob tho like Snotzalot said.
I'd check your starter. Maybe its not turnin fast enough. Most non starts I hear of are either air in the return lines, not enough battery juice to the starter, or starter is bad. Last two cases the starter may still spin but not fast enough.
-'92 interior; '86 front clip; '04 Hydroboosted front and rear disc brake system; Slew of autometer gauges; dual 4.25" Stacks
-Rebuilt and upgraded my E4OD - billet input shaft and T.C. Remote mount Derale dual layer trans cooler; Baumann Trans Controller and Harness
-3" Body Lift, Cut-Out Bushwacker Fender Flares with 16x10 Eagle Alloy 186 on 33's

All done in the driveway and basement...
Cjhstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (30)
Here's a simple test:

While someone else cranks it over, open the shraider valve on the filter head. If you get bubbles or air, but not a stream of fuel, you have an air leak.

I've had several fuel/air leaks in the past with hard starting. Mine never started then died. It just wouldn't until the air bleed out of the system. For others, they have a start then die symptom with an air/fuel leak.

Heath
1986 F250HD 4x4 7.3L IDI '95 PSD front clip, '97 bed, T19, D60/10.25 with 3.55's. Rebuilt from the frame up. Banks Turbo, DPS IP & Stage 1's, Isspro TTM, Banks Exhaust, Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Precharged Coolant Filter, Holley Red Pump. 16.5 x 37 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler's, Air Horns. 6in lift, Fresh Paint, On-board Air. Revamped Interior. Rhino Liner.

1983 F250 4x4 5.0L with C6. 340,000+ miles.

7.3 Project Pictures
Webshots Project 7.3 Gallery

hesutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.