truck won't stay running - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck won't stay running

I got a 93 f350 truck will start but will not stay running but about 2 seconds then it will die.If you try to start it back up you have to spin it over about 20 times and hold the throttle open.I have replaced gp's and injectors and wts light stays on about 12 to 15 seconds.
93 350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a classic symptom of an air intrusion, what happens is air gets in the return lines and travels up to the fuel filter, where it drains some of the fuel off - your truck fires up on the fuel that's inside the IP, but once that air from the filter head hits the IP she dies. Two likely causes of the air intrusion are leaky return lines and a bad fuel heater o-ring, both usually easy to locate as they tend to drip some fuel while the truck is running. When you replaced your injectors, did you replace the o-rings under their return caps and the hoses and clamps for said caps as well?

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes,but I didn't buy a line kit I just found some o rings the same size at the parts store and got regular 5/16 gas line and cut it to fit.But I used hose clamps and may have tightened 1 to tight and cracked 1 of those plastic pieces.The truck starts fine the rest of the day after the first time.Do you suggest I replace all the plastic pieces and put a line kit on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C. View Post
That's a classic symptom of an air intrusion, what happens is air gets in the return lines and travels up to the fuel filter, where it drains some of the fuel off - your truck fires up on the fuel that's inside the IP, but once that air from the filter head hits the IP she dies. Two likely causes of the air intrusion are leaky return lines and a bad fuel heater o-ring, both usually easy to locate as they tend to drip some fuel while the truck is running. When you replaced your injectors, did you replace the o-rings under their return caps and the hoses and clamps for said caps as well?
I was typing the same thing when you posted..

93 350: yeah I would replace the return line system with all new stuff that is made for the IDI's. You can get them most anywhere called an "injector installation kit" Just save the copper washers since you changed the injectors. The kit can be had for about $40.00 @ Midwest fuel injection (site sponsor )
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 350 View Post
Yes,but I didn't buy a line kit I just found some o rings the same size at the parts store and got regular 5/16 gas line and cut it to fit.But I used hose clamps and may have tightened 1 to tight and cracked 1 of those plastic pieces.The truck starts fine the rest of the day after the first time.Do you suggest I replace all the plastic pieces and put a line kit on it.
5/16 is too big man, we use 1/4 hose. I got parts store hose too, no issues whatsoever with it, I reused the factory spring clamps.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AlaskanWombat Send a message via Yahoo to AlaskanWombat
If you are going to change the return lines you might want to consider using clear hose. That way you can see where you have an air comming into the system.

1999 F150 XLT- 5.4L
AlaskanWombat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's a good advice, however make sure you use diesel-rated fuel hose. The other thing is that clear hose is usually thinner than regular rubber hose, so them spring clamps may not work anymore, if that's the situation replace them with FUEL INJECTION clamps of the proper size (I'm guessing those for 1/4" hose will work), they are far superior to regular worm-drive clamps but they cost about the same.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys for all the info I really appreciate it.I have a install kit ordered and hopefully this fixes my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.