TTB to Dana 44 SAS - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TTB to Dana 44 SAS

I am looking at buying a 1994 f250 xlt 5spd 4x4 7.3 idi factory turbo. The housing on the factory TTB is cracked, the owner is throwing in a Dana 44 straight axle. How hard is it to swap the axle and is it direct bolt up? also how much do yall think its worth?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 AM

"How hard" depends on you. To some people, installing a stereo is hard; to others, changing an engine is easy.

It's certainly not a direct swap. It requires a lift, &/or frame modification. And no matter how well or poorly it's done, it's a bad idea. The D44 solid is weaker than the D44IFS TTB, which is weaker than the D50IFS TTB already in the truck.

Worth is also subjective, and depends on the overall condition. Since you didn't post any pics, only you could guess. If you buy the truck, the smartest move is to replace the cracked part (and any other worn/damaged parts), and drive.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. The owner is going to send me more pictures over the next few days. I'd rather have a solid axle because of the common issues with the ttb, but it really depends on the condition of the ttb front end. Do you know what the housing is made out of? Is it weldable?

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0

Last edited by 7.3IDIFan; 04-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Also I've read of people swaping in a Dana 60 does that require less modification? the owner says the Dana 44 came out of a 1995 powerstroke

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3IDIFan View Post
the owner says the Dana 44 came out of a 1995 powerstroke
It didn't. Either that or it's not a 44.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I'd rather have a solid axle because of the common issues with the ttb...
There will be at LEAST as many issues with such a substantial modification, even if you do it exactly right. A lift ALWAYS requires maintenance, and it makes alignments more difficult/expensive. But putting such a light-duty axle (it breaks under Jeeps) under such a HEAVY engine is just asking for it.

The D50IFS is stronger, and rides better, and works better on-road & off-. Yes, it requires maintenance, but it's easier/cheaper to do it right once and then drive a hundred thousand miles, than to keep messing with a SAS every 15Kmi (or less).
Quote:
Do you know what the housing is made out of?
The left front & right are steel; the left rear is cast Iron.

Quote:
Is it weldable?
The steel is, but I wouldn't risk it. That's a critical component of the suspension, steering, AND brakes; if it's done wrong, or if it's done right & fails again, you could kill yourself & a lot of other people. It will probably take less time & money to swap out the cracked part. And it will CERTAINLY take less time & money to go through the TTB now, replacing everything that's worn with the newest/best replacements, than to SAS it.
Quote:
...swaping in a Dana 60 does that require less modification?
Installing a different suspension that the factory offered might be less work, and it's definitely safer. But it will still require the same level of maintenance as a lift because you can't rivet the parts in. You have to bolt it in, and such critical bolts have to be checked for tightness regularly.

Last edited by Steve83; 04-17-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I don't want to lift the truck, I want to keep it stock height

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

The owner says that the axle is "cracked in half" but haven't seen any photo evidence yet.

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I don't want to lift the truck, I want to keep it stock height
Then you can forget a D44 swap, and probably a D60 swap. You've just limited yourself to a repair of the D50IFS, so start planning around that. I highly recommend replacing EVERYTHING that's available with black (NOT red) Energy Polyurethane.
Manufacturer's site - energysuspension.com | parts search
Authorized retailer's site - Energy Suspension Parts: F250, ford f250 4wd 1994

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

What about the fact that it is cracked in half?

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:47 AM

Actually, a Dana 60 WILL put the truck at stock height for an F350. You'd have to install the blocks for an F350 on the rear springs to make the truck level. So it depends on your definition of "stocK". Stock for YOUR truck, as it was born, or stock for this generation of IDI pickup?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I guess stock for the aero nose. I just don't want an outrageous 10" lift or anything like that.

1988 F150 XLT Lariat 5.0
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM

In that case, yeah, a D60 and the right rear blocks will give you the equivalent of a stock height F350. It won't look "jacked up".
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
What about the fact that it is cracked in half?
What about it? Isn't that the whole point of this thread - what we've been discussing? I don't get your point, asking it again. Fix it by replacing the broken parts. Then it won't be cracked in half.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:32 PM

I've never had it done, but I've seen the results of what a good machine shop can do welding those things and keeping things straight.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.