uhm...air filter sucked into turbo - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy uhm...air filter sucked into turbo

I just bought this truck and the original owner had a foam air filter. I didn't realize this until I was changing the fuel filter and the truck wouldn't go over 20 mph. I saw diesel leaking from the turbo and when I investigated I found a big black ball of foam. The truck won't go over 40 mph now that it has been removed and replaced with a paper filter. Around 40 mph the turbo starts doing its thing and sounds smooth, but it won't accelterate and hangs out around 2000 rpm. I'm new to diesels and I'm not sure where to start with this one. Also, I have been through 3 brass water seperator drain valves trying to get one that doesn't dribble. Is there any tricks for these things

Thanks,
Travis

1994 f350 international 7.3 idi turbo diesel - 240,000 miles
supaconducta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like there is still a restriction in the intake or exhaust if it wont spin up above 2K, take the exhaust off as close to the turbo as you can and fire it up again, if you have speed then it prolly a plugged exhaust, just hope that foam didnt get too far into the engine..... Auto or manual?
'89F250IDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

tranny

It's automatic.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

tranny

It's automatic. Where should I make the disconnect, off the turbo itself? Sorry im new to turbos too.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Sounds like there is still a restriction in the intake or exhaust, take the exhaust off as close to the turbo as you can and fire it up again
According to his first post, the exhaust doesn't enter in to it.
Supaconducta, if you pull the snail off, that's the aluminum piece with one bolt holding it to the intake manifold, there will be a screen under it and I'd be willing to bet it's got a major pile of foam trapped on top of the screen blocking off intake air. The original filters that came on these turbo models had a paper filter with a foam layer lightly glued to one side of it. Sounds like someone installed one upside down, the foam side goes DOWN facing the dirty side of the airbox.
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 11-25-2011 at 05:55 PM.
LMJD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

snail trail

Thanks guys for the info. I'm guessing that when I pulled off the intake to take out the old paper air filter and put on new valve cover gaskets that I flipped it over after i took out the filter and the foam went into the other side. I never thought to look for foam in anything but my lawn mower. It was a little hard to tighten but i was fighting a family of octopi in the wiring around it. Mystery of the heck that got in there solved. I hope I learn this lesson on the cheap. I'll be pulling her apart in the morning.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

its all betterish

Before I continued to butcher this beast, and attempt to dismantle the turbo, I took it to my mechanic. Busted Throttle cable was the culprit to the acceleration issue. I'm hoping the foam was crumbly and dry so it probably just got obliterated by the turbo and shot out of the exhaust. The gas pedal was hard to push when I first got it but it moved pretty good until the filter issue. I guess the stress from having to floor it with the loss of air from the turbo clog made the cable give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.