The Diesel Stop banner

Water pump replacement

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  OkieGringo 
#1 ·
What are the steps to replace water pump on 1991 ford 7.3.

Thanks Remote

#2 ·
Sent you the R&R instructions........ get the right tools for the fan clutch.....free rental at many parts stores.

#4 ·
Just replaced mine three months ago,if you cannot rent the tool to remove the fan from any autoparts store,go to harbor tools they have a crecent wrench big enough for the nut for about ten dollars.that is if you have a harbor tool in your area.

#5 ·
i just did mine on thursday last week. the tools did not help until i used a hammer and a long screwdriver to loosen up the bolt. the previous owner must have done the sam-e thing because there where grooves already on the nut! oh, and if you are going to replace the thermostate at the same time, make sure it does not slide out of its little groove before you put it back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

#6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
You might need a torch to heat up the nut on the fan. Just did mine a little bit ago and it really helped. And the fan has a left hand thread--left to tight , right to loosen

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget the torch. Leave the belts on and tight, place the wrench into position, get your self a short length of 2X4 wood, place one end against the end of the wrench, wack the other end of the 2X4 with a hammer and the nut will break loose, easily.

Heating the nut with a torch can damage the fan clutch.

#7 ·
i tried that with mine too but the belt was not tight enough...they just started spinning.

speaking of belts...i bought a new one from autozone and it was to short. it was the longest one they have. is that belt a dealer item or is something off with my pully sizes?

dont mean to hijack the thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#9 ·
Wouldn't work for me. First of all you have a neoprene seal just forward of the nut to retain the silicone fluid. Rubber seals and excessive heat don't get along. Second, you've also got a bi-metallic (translation---heat sensitive) coil that locks and unlocks the fan clutch. Good chance of destroying both.

#10 ·
you be right lmjd--any flame movement to the seal can destroy it in a heartbeat--

#11 ·
A new fan clutch if over $150 USD.

#12 ·
Remember that the nut is not "righty-tighty", it's "righty-loosy" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. OkieGringo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.