water separator bowl - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water separator bowl

hey guys well i developed a leak with my drain valve on my water separator bowl. theres a small o ring that goes inside and i cant find it in any store right now i have two o rings on there trying to stop the leak. should i just order a new bowel to get the right o ring. i think it is still leaking a little with the rigging i got now. and how much water usually comes out of that thing. thanks

Last edited by Believer45; 03-23-2009 at 11:29 PM.
xtrmdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

how much water depends on how long you had the light on - with the engine running it takes me a few seconds to purge the water out if I pull over immediately when I see the light come on. O-ring, try getting one that is a bit fatter, parts stores carry lots of sizes, see if you can match something...

M.L.S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I had the same problem - turned out it was not so much my bad or replacement Oring as it was corroded Aluminum at the bottom from sitting.
A put mine in the lathe and used an endmill to resurface it. (not everyone has one -u might need a machine shop) Check that seating area before you put the new Oring and torque it down and rip the new one.

Good luck- I found the bowl part number but have been unable to find them at any reasonable price.
grebmohr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L.S.C. View Post
how much water depends on how long you had the light on - with the engine running it takes me a few seconds to purge the water out if I pull over immediately when I see the light come on. O-ring, try getting one that is a bit fatter, parts stores carry lots of sizes, see if you can match something...
Not trying to hijack the post but was the water in fuel module Optional? I don't seem to have one.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

thanks guys for your help i ended up finding a faucet gasket thats working for now.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmohr View Post
Not trying to hijack the post but was the water in fuel module Optional? I don't seem to have one.
I couldn't tell ya man, I think it was standard for all '87 and up trucks. Of the '86s and older, none has it, unless tis been converted. What I wonder is, why did Ford need a special module for this? All the sensor in the filter does is provide a grounded path for current to flow and that trips the module which trips the light, well can't one just install a small light in there with a key-on 12V power and run its ground to the sensor in the filter? But look at your dash lights, the water-in-fuel light is the one right below the wait-to-start light in the right lower corner of the panel, do you have it there? Also the sensor is in the bottom of the fuel filter, the wire for it is kinda hard to see but tis there, look for it and tell us if you have it there too - if you have both the light and the harness (which you should have both) the you have the module as well, to test the system pull the wire off the bottom of the filter and ground it, the WIF light should come on - unless tis burned out, which would be the next thing I'd check for.

Last edited by M.L.S.C.; 03-26-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I got the light- got the sensor in the bowl with thread type electrode- got no wire- and never seen the light work. Where is the actual Module? Anyone got a Ford E.C.L. for '90 truck?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Look around the engine harness in the area near the fuel filter, maybe the wire is just laying there under the other wires?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

looking right now- getting ready to makes some fumes going home! I love my truck!
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

No wire- no plug ...
Mine is a '90 what color wire is your lead? what harness does it come from?
The one on the passenger side fender well or the passenger side glow harness w/ the temp sensor and vacuum lead?

No idea where my wire is.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

i have a wire right next to the drain valve on one side then the shrader valve on the other side
Old 03-26-2009, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yah, that's where the wire should be, but his ain't, even tho the sensor is in place. The wire was black in color IIRC, mine has been extended along with the restriction sensor and the heater wires and all is nicely taped over now (I have dual fuel filters), but I'll double-check on the color tomorow during daylight. In any case the wire for the WIF sensor comes from the main engine harness near the #1 injector, but it comes out the front end of it right next to that temp sensor in the head next to the #1 glowplug (whereas the wires for the vacuum switch and the fuel heater come out the same harness but further back on it, just a bit ahead of the #3 cylinder injector). The wire is actually long enough to reach the alternator, so make sure it ain't just laying around between the alternator and the tall bracket the fuel filter head is bolted to...

Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm pulling my factory defecto lift pump this week end and will be taking down the alternator and header bracket to get to it. I will look really hard for it.

I did find a wire plugged into a square do-hickey and it is laying behind the head temp sensor. Any idea what the hell that is?

Thanks for the help and apoligies to the thread starter for hijacking- I never meant to do that.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

There should be two wires plugged into the square doohicky actually, tis either for the glowplugs controller IIRC, but I forget what exactly it does.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.