The Diesel Stop banner

What brand to buy?

795 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cdnsarguy 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to order new Ball joints, Tie Rod ends, and bushings to rebuild my steering on my '88 F-250 4x4. Any brands better then others, and any brands I should stay away from? I'm probably going to order from Rock Auto so any brand they carry.

MEVOTECH seems to be the less expensive followed by SPICER/RAYBESTOS

This is not a dally driver but I also don't want to put my family in
jeopardy with something that is going to fail.

#2 ·
I got just put McQuay-Norris ball joints in my truck about a month ago, they look very well made and according to the labels on the boxes they're made in the USA. My tie-rods are TRW.

I put Dana/Spicer ball joints in my Lincoln a few years back, the car has seen more bad roads than many 4x4 trucks see, yet when I took her in for alignment check and correction nothing had moved, my custom alignment was still like it was when it first left the alignment rack after the ball joints install. $60 a ball joint gets you that ;) Steering linkage is TRW there too.

#3 ·
The shop uses Moog first, Mevotech then what's ever is left.... customer has the call. Labour is the same rate.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.