The Diesel Stop banner

What did you do to your 7.3L IDI today???

55K views 352 replies 83 participants last post by  pprince 
#1 ·
hey yall what happened to this thread???

#2 ·
I said something, then someone else said something else, then thread closed. Sorry for my part in it, certainly wasn't going for that. There's another one around here somewhere.

#4 · (Edited)
That other one (started by me) was closed as well. I PMd a moderator probably 2 weeks ago but haven't heard why as of yet.

Oh, BTW, I pulled out my month-old Wellmans & tested them with a battery charger, 2 were dead. That'd explain the 5 second glow time. Fired off am email to the vendor, requesting warranty replacement. Then I did a compression test, lowest was 400 and highest 440. Now I have 1 or 2 leaking return caps because I touched them during the test. Adjusted the parking brake cable and the rear brakes, then got fuel on the way home. 246.5 miles traveled since the last fill-up, and 12.5 gallons to fill today = 19.7mpg for the tank. Call it 19 to account for differences in the "gurgle factor" of filling up.

#5 ·
I have the PM from a Moderator about the first thread. I didn't know the second one was closed. I haven't done much other than start her up and keep fluids moving. Dealing with more serioius issues at the moment so the old girl will have to continue to wait patiently.

#7 ·
Found out light switch connector was bad and still trying tofigure out the other electrical issues on the '93.
on my '87 I drained the oil and started unbolting the oil pan.

#8 ·
tested glow plugs (motorcraft) found one bad and replaced it and now the clicking noise from gp controller stopped, we will see if it improves cold start up.checked and tested gp wiring harness all checked out.replaced headlight switch with one from the bone yard (did not fix problem) i have to slowly pull the switch out to find the "sweet spot" for all the lights to come on. replaced broken door handle on drivers door.now trying to figure out why the high idle wont turn on.and found my tach sensor is bad,have to call fords to get raped,sorry quoted for price.

#9 ·
Went to Marin and picked up a couch yesterday. Two days before that picked up an axle for the Astro. $400 ow, but apparently they're relatively rare and you can't just use an S10 axle because of spring mounts.

#10 ·
called the stealership tach sensor is special order $73.49 ordering this week. went out to start the old girl,not plugged in,load tested the batterys the showed weak on the dial,i tried starting anyway and just got a slow crank,load tested batterys again and they are way down,hooked up jumper cabels,cycled gp one time and she fired up! the high idle did not engage but i maybe not setting it right,i thought it was pedal to the floor,key on,then start. i did notice the arm to the high idle was "closer" to the throttle then usual.

#11 ·
Use a 1/4" wrench to turn the plunger on the fast idle solenoid out (clockwise when looking at it from the front of the truck.)

#12 ·
Got my glow plugs from Ford and my new harness gonna try and throw them in tonight.

Hooked up the trailer with the Turbo Coupe (7000ish lbs) on it. The clutch didnt seem to like that. So I had to use the chevy, Brought my 88 F250 back from the farm to strip down and take to the scrap yard. Maybe ill get enough to buy that clutch.

#14 ·
Went out and cranked up the old 90 after setting for a couple of months, two revolutions and a start, see what good maintenance can do for ya. Just wanted to oil thing's up a little, let it run until hot, then key off, just gotta exercise them every once in awhile. :yesnod: :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Got all excited for the snow and hooked up the new to me plow and was ready to work. Unfortunately nothing stuck whomp whomp :(

#18 ·
Turned it over. I work away from home. Finally got fenders back on and battery trays bolted in. Done some wiring repair and changed gp and harness and the battery cables while i had it apart. Oh almost forgot also reworked the core support due to rust issues. After all of that it was great to hear her turn over maybe tomorrow i will trh yo start

#19 ·
Put the new :ford: glow plugs in and glow plug harness.

next up is return line kit.

#20 ·
Installed my 2 warranty replacement glow plugs -thanks for the quick shipping, Pensacola Diesel! - and was rewarded with about a 12 second glow time.

#21 ·
Finally got the last motor mount bolt off it was a witch!! Was gonna lift the motor to get the oil pan out but my engine hoist wouldnt lift..

#24 ·
Finally got the oil pan out. Nothing looked bad or out of the ordinary, and still couldnt turn the motor by hand. I guess I might be pulling the engine and taking the heads off..

#25 ·
Got the stack kit in and installed.Got my injectors in from typefour. Can't wait to get home and put em in. Put New glue plugs in from Pensacola but still only have about a 2 sec WTS. and a hard time cranking up when cold. Maybe its some wiring

#26 ·
Should have more than 10 seconds if it's cold. Double-check all the glow plug connectors, then check the wiring.

#27 ·
Finally got to stretch her legs!!!

Took a run up the freeway to fill her up-33.5 Gals @ $3.98.9/Gal...Man she was close to fumes, Glad my pick ups and gauges are good.

Then across the highway to TSC to get more pellets for the rest of the winter. 30 Bags 40lbs ea. she didn't even know they were back there. :thumbsup:

#30 ·
Drove my truck to work, wife's car in shop, so she took my car to work. Truck ran great, has been sitting for 3 weeks, and started right up in 32* morning. Only problem I had was the tail gate fell open on the way in. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.