Would like to use 35" tires - how much lift? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would like to use 35" tires - how much lift?

Hello,
How much lift is required to run 35" tires? Can I get away with Tuff Country's front replacements which give a 1.5-2.5 lift over stock and otherwise require no other parts?
Thanks,
Chris
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Would like to use 35" tires - how much lift?

you will be cutting it close. You will need at least that and bumper extensions. Mine had the factory 4" blocks and what appears to be a drop shackle and it would rub occasionally even with the add a leaf in front. Just spend the extra and get the lift. You will be much happier with it...Trust me!
Sold it!!! 1993 F350 rebuilt 7.3IDI Turbo Crewcab running 4.10 and 35x12.50x16. Who needs mufflers... straight pipin' with banks downpipe upgrade and 3 in exhaust all the way back and gettin 18mpg if my foot wan't so dang heavy. Biodiesel home brewer and convertion to WVO almost ready for install. Electric Facet fuel pump conversion.

2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab Cummins...stock...for now..hehehe
ak_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

"cutting it close" - kinda thought so. Think I can get away with cutting the front bumper corners? I want to keep the factory rear springs. They take more than a ton to get into the overloads and I like the way they ride loaded and even unloaded. If I raise the front 4"s I would have to raise the rear.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I run 35's on mine, and they fit fine. At full stuff and turned, i still have about a half an inch of clearance for all my fenders and stuff, the only time they rub is occasionally on the leaf springs. Mine has the 3 inch camper lift on it from the factory i believe, and i couldn't be happier with the BFG MT's for 35's. No clearance issues at all to speak of.
1991 Ford F-350, crew cab long bed, 4X4 with a factory 3 inch lift. Has the banks sidewinder turbo kit w/ wastegate. E4OD automatic that works now. 35" BFG MT's, Limited slip in the back. Going on 167 K miles. Thinking about whacking the muffler off of it. Custom 1000 watt sound system, and brand new headlight assemblys. On board air system with amtrack airhorns.

1979 Jeep CJ-7, 2.5 inch lift, 33" procomp Xterrains, 6 banger with the T-18 trans. New seats, and such. Its a project in the works.
four27cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (30)

Three inches would get you the clearence you need for up to 37 inch tires. You get this lift with either a suspension lift or a body lift. The former being the least expensive, but your bumpers will be three inches below your truck body. You can make brakets to raise the bumpers back up to their normal position. A suspension lift is the best option, but much more expensive.

Heath
1986 F250HD 4x4 7.3L IDI '95 PSD front clip, '97 bed, T19, D60/10.25 with 3.55's. Rebuilt from the frame up. Banks Turbo, DPS IP & Stage 1's, Isspro TTM, Banks Exhaust, Boost gauge, Pyrometer, Precharged Coolant Filter, Holley Red Pump. 16.5 x 37 x 12.5 Goodyear Wrangler's, Air Horns. 6in lift, Fresh Paint, On-board Air. Revamped Interior. Rhino Liner.

1983 F250 4x4 5.0L with C6. 340,000+ miles.

7.3 Project Pictures
Webshots Project 7.3 Gallery

hesutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

A couple other disadvantages to a body lift, are that when you raise the body, you will change the length of anything connecting the body to the frame. For example, your shift lever linkage with an auto trans will need modification. Your brake lines may need modification. Various other things may need to be modified/lengthened as well. The suspension lift is definately a better option.
1991 Ford F-350, crew cab long bed, 4X4 with a factory 3 inch lift. Has the banks sidewinder turbo kit w/ wastegate. E4OD automatic that works now. 35" BFG MT's, Limited slip in the back. Going on 167 K miles. Thinking about whacking the muffler off of it. Custom 1000 watt sound system, and brand new headlight assemblys. On board air system with amtrack airhorns.

1979 Jeep CJ-7, 2.5 inch lift, 33" procomp Xterrains, 6 banger with the T-18 trans. New seats, and such. Its a project in the works.
four27cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont know if you guys noticed but he has a F250 in his sig. so if hes running that thing stock hes going to need a 4" lift to make them fit without any adjustments, just get the 4" lift kit with rear blocks so you can keep your stock rear springs. If you are worried about axle wrap then get a traction bar and you will be fine. I personally dont like the look of tires "stuffed" in the fenders it looks goofy to me but thats just my personal opinion.

89 F350 7.3 IDI Diesel, Black and silver, single cab long. 4x4 XLT Lariat. 5 Speed Manual, Banks sidewinder turbo, 4" skyjacker suspension kit with rear add leafs. Chrome Pro Comp wheels, 35" Pro Comp Mud Terrains. ---In the process of complete exterior strip for some new paint and chrome all the way around.
JCDiesel89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

[ QUOTE ]
I run 35's on mine, and they fit fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your truck is a 91, and his is a 92. The front bumper comes back farther on a 92 so he will have clearance issues.

You CAN get away with the add-a-leaf and 35's. but you will have to remove the bumper and shim it out with washers bout 1" or so. Then you will have to do a little trimming of the bottom corner of the bumper. You won't have any other clearence issues. We did this on my Brother 97 F250, He ran 35" BFG's AT, no problems.

I do have a 97 F250 ex cab with a 4" lift and 35" tires on the lot, and It cleares the bumper no prob, but the inside of the tire hits the inner spring pretty bad on a full lock left turn. Right turn is no problem. Really cut's down on the turning radius.
"Big Ed" Cummins Powered 1989 F-350 XLT Lariat, King Ranch, Crew Cab, 12V Cummins, PSD Intercooler, 4x4, C6, Gear Vendors, 4:10ls, Propane Injection, Hood Scoop, Air Compressor/Horns/Bags/Tank/Conditioning, 17x10" wheels, 35" BFG's, Dual 5" Sidepipes, Edlbrock Shocks, Dual Steering Stabilizers, Add a Leafs, Full Guages, Custom Counsol, CD, Amp, Sub, Rear Power Slider, Brushguard, Headache Rack, Spray in Bedliner, Diamond Plate, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Super Duty Cooler, and Aux Filter, Amsoil Dual Oil FIlters and Synthetics, Lots more,...

Cummins Conversion Pics

DarrinTosh@gmail.com
Darrin Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

If he is going to just drive it on the road that is fine. But, lifts and tire are for the off road and my 93 barely did it with the bumper pushed ot. I took the cheap way out and put in the front add a leaf and it wwooorrrkk, but the 4 in I put in rides so much better. Besides, you can get rid of the POS stock front springs. They sag more than my grandma did. lol Don't forget to modify the brake line as well by onbolting the bracket on the fender well and relocating it or by new longer brake lines. Brake lines were not intended for limiting straps. Oh and stuffing is for turkeys and oreos not tires and fenders..... Just kidding, to each his own. Good luck.
Sold it!!! 1993 F350 rebuilt 7.3IDI Turbo Crewcab running 4.10 and 35x12.50x16. Who needs mufflers... straight pipin' with banks downpipe upgrade and 3 in exhaust all the way back and gettin 18mpg if my foot wan't so dang heavy. Biodiesel home brewer and convertion to WVO almost ready for install. Electric Facet fuel pump conversion.

2006 Dodge 2500 Megacab Cummins...stock...for now..hehehe
ak_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have ZERO lift and I have 35" tires on my 1993...
Old 02-12-2006, 05:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have ZERO lift and I have 35" tires on my 1993...

[/ QUOTE ] Ya but look at the bumper you have on your truck, its not as low as the stock one. And you have a F350 he has a F250.

89 F350 7.3 IDI Diesel, Black and silver, single cab long. 4x4 XLT Lariat. 5 Speed Manual, Banks sidewinder turbo, 4" skyjacker suspension kit with rear add leafs. Chrome Pro Comp wheels, 35" Pro Comp Mud Terrains. ---In the process of complete exterior strip for some new paint and chrome all the way around.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

sorry i misread. I knew about the bumper, but that had been covered already. I thought that 2 was a 3... sorry.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

i put 35's on my truck before my lift and all i did was shim the bumper out. i thought it looked good so when i got my lift eventually i left it shimmed out. As far as clearance issues it never had a problem of hitting anything except at full lock it will hit the leaf springs but it still does it so not a big deal.

'84 f250 6.9l, c6 trans
Pwrstrokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
sorry i misread. I knew about the bumper, but that had been covered already. I thought that 2 was a 3... sorry.

[/ QUOTE ] No problem, just wasnt sure if you noticed.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for yor input! I always like to hear what others are doing with their rigs!

The Tuff Country sprngs I am considering are full replacements and add 1.5 - 2.5 inches over stock and do not require any other mods to get along with the factory independent suspension. The lift on the front end is more toward 2.5 inches, which is over 'stock'. My stock front springs are sagging about one half of an inch, I think. My best guess is that 2-3 inches over the current (stock) setup should allow 35 inch tires. I now have 33s with no problems and I take the rig off road several times a week. No full stuffing but plenty of articulation to the extent the design and wheel base allows.

I think a higher and out of the way front bumper plus the tuff country replacements will allow 35s. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.